MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

As a professional graphic designer, I think the Twins new M logo is fantastic. I'd maybe lower the star placement slightly, but otherwise it's perfect.

As a Twins fan, I think the Twins new M logo is fantastic. It's nice to have an M road hat back in the mix and I think it's a great addition to the visual identity of the franchise. Especially with the nod (unintentional or otherwise) to the Washington Senators element of the franchise's history.

It seems like most of the hate is from people who hate change, a killer of good design among all fanbases when a new design is introduced. Some amazing new soccer logos have been discarded in short time because loyal fanbases don't want change, regardless of how good the branding update might be. This is one of the major areas of personal frustration in regards to the intersection of sports and design.

• Like 11
  • Dislike 1

Well, design is not just art, design is also context and history and community and usability. Something that hits all the right notes technically speaking and fits into the trend boxes of the moment may not fulfill all those other elements. Sports, in particular, is founded upon a certain pride in messy, flawed history for a lot of people. 

Personally I think that the Twins brand is one of the stronger ones in MLB, centered on the red/blue mix and the quirkiness of the TC logo. The home set is strong because it does the rare feat of expanding on that history in a new way. Losing one of those colors, or losing the TC hat, is a miss for me for that reason (I know there's a history of M hats but I didn't like those either; this gets into the debate over whether a team should have multiple cap logos or not. I say no, mostly.)

• Like 2

The M Star is a cool logo. Although, it's important to have one cohesive logo used for both home and away caps because it helps the team have something that defines them and gives them an identifiable mark. With that... I don't think the Twins should use it interchangeably with the TC monogram, but it can be a good option as an alternate.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

The M Star is a cool logo. Although, it's important to have one cohesive logo used for both home and away caps because it helps the team have something that defines them and gives them an identifiable mark. With that... I don't think the Twins should use it interchangeably with the TC monogram, but it can be a good option as an alternate.

I’d agree with that point if the primary logo was completely overlooked in the road uniform. But it’s right there on the sleeve of the Twins road uniform, and it’s prominent in the vast majority of team branding. 

The idea that putting an alternate logo on a hat somehow diminishes the effect of the primary mark just doesn’t work in this instance. It’s a manufactured concern for a problem that doesn’t exist.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I’d agree with that point if the primary logo was completely overlooked in the road uniform. But it’s right there on the sleeve of the Twins road uniform, and it’s prominent in the vast majority of team branding. 

The idea that putting an alternate logo on a hat somehow diminishes the effect of the primary mark just doesn’t work in this instance. It’s a manufactured concern for a problem that doesn’t exist.

The road uniforms don't have the TC monogram. It's the state logo that the home uniform has.

Twins position breakdown: first base – Twin Cities

Unless you are referring to the navy alternates, which do have the TC monogram.

Twins' 2023 Trade Deadline approach

• Like 5

A lot of the hate for the new M logo is due to the fact that a lot of online fans wanted the old M logo back, even though it wouldn't fit with the rest of the brand. This is because a large percentage of online fans were born in the 90s and are therefore obsessed with everything looking like it did in the 90s.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DouglasQuaid said:

The biggest issue with the new twins look is dropping this beauty!! All it needed was a couple tweaks.

spacer.png

Minnie and Paul still live at Target Field, but yeah, I agree, they should still be on the uniform.

spacer.png

In fact, when the did the rebrand and renovations to the stadium, they actually reverted back to the 1976-1986 version of the logo with the 2002-2022 Minnie and Paul replacing the older version of them. So it's really a hybrid of two logos.

2 hours ago, 5ss22 said:

A lot of the hate for the new M logo is due to the fact that a lot of online fans wanted the old M logo back, even though it wouldn't fit with the rest of the brand. This is because a large percentage of online fans were born in the 90s and are therefore obsessed with everything looking like it did in the 90s.

(Don't look at my profile picture...)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

da0Lbhs.png

5 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Hear me out actually. Mix the blue and orange ala the Shea neon players, it would be unique and a tie in to the team's history:

spacer.pngspacer.png

One team (marlins) already tried that and it failed miserably

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, FrutigerAero said:

So did the Mariners ever reveal a uniform update?  I thought that was supposed to happen.

Supposedly the only thing that's different is the navy jersey now has a block NOB font. The number font will remain non-matching with the rest of their uniforms, and there are no other changes

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

10 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Supposedly the only thing that's different is the navy jersey now has a block NOB font. The number font will remain non-matching with the rest of their uniforms, and there are no other changes

I can't believe they haven't took advantage of the fabric switch to match the navy shade to their hats...

On 3/8/2024 at 9:42 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

I *think* it's more of a stitched style logo rather than a puffy sticker. More like cloth and less like foam.

PS - You clearly weren't the only one who wasn't sure on the difference.

So basically what the Cubs do, then.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬