2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't mind the Stingers name, but the last thing the NHL needs is another black & yellow team

It’s an understandable concern, though one way around that is to pair a more Creamsicle Orange with Black or any other darker color

(Navy, Dark Green, possibly Brown or Dark Gray) and add a third trim color (maybe Light Blue or Red) in there.

• Like 1

What are people feeling for colors?

Green and yellow like the Eagles? Will this annoy the Minnesotans??

Something purple to tie it to the Jazz? Seems we'd be the only purple squad.

I've always felt green and orange was an underused "Utah" color scheme, but I understand how it could be more polarizing.

• Like 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

6 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Would Saints work in this day and age? 

The company for which Salt Lake City is a company town would not be happy. They've declared the word "Mormon" a "victory for Satan" and have gone all in on "Latter-day Saints."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

Utah Bobcats isn't bad. I like it.

Move the Jazz to New Orleans and the Hornets to Charlotte and the Bobcats to Salt Lake City and the basketball to hockey. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Utah Yetis;  Salt Lake Strikers; Salt Late Stingers; Utah Blizzard Eagles; Utah Icebirds; Utah Snowbirds; Utah Desert Eagles (if they can’t use Golden Eagles or just Eagles); Utah Snoweagles; Utah Yellowjackets (I could see Columbus rejecting this idea); Utah or Salt Lake Bison; Salt Lake Seagulls; Salt Lake Snowy Owls. Those are ideas I think would be alright choices. I hope this new team will at least use a unique colour. My choices would be either purple or a baby blue.

Here are a few ideas I have:

NHL team name  :   Utah Grizzlies.

You then have the current ECHL minor league team "Utah Grizzlies" return to "Golden Eagles".  A blend of both histories.

The other ideas - "Spikes". In reference to the "Golden Spike" which is in northern Utah, connecting the first Transcontinental railroads from the East and West coasts.

Other name ideas: -  Eagles, Reds, Moose, Whitecaps, Wolves, Rhythm, (for fun... Jazz Hockey Club).

8 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

I've always felt green and orange was an underused "Utah" color scheme, but I understand how it could be more polarizing.

I am kind of hoping for brown as a base color. Like a brown/yellow or brown/orange color scheme with a rich brown being the true primary color. Something like Wyoming football's color balance. 

5 hours ago, mattharveysc said:

Here are a few ideas I have:

NHL team name  :   Utah Grizzlies.

You then have the current ECHL minor league team "Utah Grizzlies" return to "Golden Eagles".  A blend of both histories.

As mentioned several places back, the possibility of "Grizzles" depends on whether the Memphis NBA Grizzlies choose to protect that trademarked nickname or not. Yes its two different leagues, but IP law is IP law, and I don't know how much legal wrangling Smith et. al really feel like putting up with should Memphis choose to take it to the courtroom. Same thing goes for "Saints" due to the New Orleans NFL Saints. "Golden [Anything]s" is a complete non-starter thanks to the Vegas Golden Knights

5 hours ago, mattharveysc said:

The other ideas - "Spikes". In reference to the "Golden Spike" which is in northern Utah, connecting the first Transcontinental railroads from the East and West coasts.

That would be a nice nickname, except...

NLLUb_Spikes_Primary_RGB_4C.svg

...It already exists. (I have no idea what a stag has to do with a spike, but whatever...)

------------------------

You know, the more I think about this, the more I'm preparing myself for the name Yeti. It just seems like a nickname a guy like Ryan Smith would be all over. Again, don't know what if any legal wrangling he'd have to do or already did concerning the use of it, but it'd lend itself well to some pretty fun branding, at least. Cheesy as it is, it's also kind of a fun nickname...and then there's the phonetic alliterative "Y" consonant sounds of "Utah" and "Yeti". (And both words are even four letters!)

Perhaps I'm making the case in my own mind for it...but at this point, I ain't opposed to it if that's the route Smith et. al decide to take (or have already taken)...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, bowld said:

I wouldn't mind them wearing colors like this. In fact, Utah Phoenix has a nice ring to it 😆-

spacer.png

Maybe a dark forest green instead of Navy?

"We not only want your hockey team, but we also insist on taking the name of your biggest city."

• LOL 1

9 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Since the Kings don't seem interested in wearing purple aside from the occasional throwback/reverse retro night, I'd say Utah should take the opportunity to own it. Maybe pair a dark purple with powder blue or a lighter purple like the new Jazz city jerseys.

That or a Red Rocks-style burgundy, burnt orange, yellow combo. Would depend on the name and whether a cool or warm colour scheme makes more sense.

11 hours ago, Tomkesler said:

Utah Hoodoos.

Unique and regional, could lend itself to some interesting colors and branding. 
haven't seen anyone suggest it. Am I crazy? 

only downside is some immature people would call them Doodoos? But that was a drawback to Kraken (Krak-heads) and that turned out to be a non issue. 

i suggested it on the prior page…

so agreed it’d be a cool name 

9 hours ago, bowld said:

I wouldn't mind them wearing colors like this. In fact, Utah Phoenix has a nice ring to it 😆-

spacer.png

Maybe a dark forest green instead of Navy?

Too similar to Calgary.  They need something more unique than that.

• Like 1

Guessing they'll do something like Copperheads or Honey Badgers.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

As mentioned several places back, the possibility of "Grizzles" depends on whether the Memphis NBA Grizzlies choose to protect that trademarked nickname or not. Yes its two different leagues, but IP law is IP law, and I don't know how much legal wrangling Smith et. al really feel like putting up with should Memphis choose to take it to the courtroom. Same thing goes for "Saints" due to the New Orleans NFL Saints. "Golden [Anything]s" is a complete non-starter thanks to the Vegas Golden Knights

If the Memphis Grizzlies wanted to flex whatever IP muscle they might, wouldn't they have already sued the Utah Grizzlies, the Montana Grizzlies, and the Oakland Golden Grizzlies? 

IP law is centered around similarity and confusion caused between similar brands.  

Apple Federal Credit Union exists because nobody confuses it with Apple Inc. Not sure how many people will confuse Memphis Grizzlies basketball with Utah Grizzlies hockey especially if the colors and logos are completely different.

The NHL is a league that has three teams with wings in their logos and nobody complains. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Utah Yetis;  Salt Lake Strikers; Salt Late Stingers; Utah Blizzard Eagles; Utah Icebirds; Utah Snowbirds; Utah Desert Eagles (if they can’t use Golden Eagles or just Eagles); Utah Snoweagles; Utah Yellowjackets (I could see Columbus rejecting this idea); Utah or Salt Lake Bison; Salt Lake Seagulls; Salt Lake Snowy Owls. Those are ideas I think would be alright choices. I hope this new team will at least use a unique colour. My choices would be either purple or a baby blue.

I don't think they'll go with Strikers (sounds far more like a soccer team than anything to do with hockey) or Snowbirds (people think of snowbirds as people who move to warm weather locales during the winter). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Utah Utes Yotes. 😎

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17