Thrift Store Gems '10

Don

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To quote Carl Lewis...UH-OH!

SDC11638.jpg

$3.99 at AJ Wright in Flint.

Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!

You bite you're tougue... :grin:. Let's earn one, not buy one.

Number 1 way you can tell someone is not a Yankees fan...

Wow sweet deal!

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. It's not like those jerseys are out of date or something. I went over the thing like a detective to make sure it wasn't an "irregular" or flawed somehow. It checked out fine and it's 100% legit. They're still selling that exact jersey on The Indians website for $79.99. In fact, that's where the picture came from.

Needless to say that I'm pretty pleased with the deal.

My dad and I found some of those jerseys a year ago or so at the Lee/Wrangler outlet in Lodi for 20 or 25 bucks. It's definitely gotten it's fair share of wear.

6fQjS3M.png

It's a little old now, but I had a few finds;

A Toronto Maple Leafs Kyle Wellwood EDGE jersey for $10 bucks at Value Village. The name plate is too dark of a blue to be legit, but the rest of the jersey looks pretty good. The name plate isn't glued on, so I'm in the process of removing it (I'm going to leave the 42, damn is cutting all that stitching tiring...)

I also found a Fernando Torres Liverpool jersey, and Ronaldhino Barcelona Jersey for $7 each. I tried to sell them during the World Cup, and had no takers. That was kind of disappointing. I'm dubious about the Barcelona shirt, it's got an Asian manufacturer's logo on it, so I doubt it's legit. They are in pretty decent shape considering.

To quote Carl Lewis...UH-OH!

SDC11638.jpg

$3.99 at AJ Wright in Flint.

Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!Gimmie!

You bite you're tougue... :grin:. Let's earn one, not buy one.

Number 1 way you can tell someone is not a Yankees fan...

Yankees lead baseball in home grown talent.

Anubis.png

Really? Back in the '90s, I'll grant you that they drafted well, and most of that homegrown talent you're bragging about is from that era. But now, the Yankees' attitude is strictly "we've got a hole at x position? Well, we'd better buy up the best player in the league at that position right now, or make a bogus trade to get him." Then they wonder why there seems to be chemistry problems every year and they don't win championships as often as they used to. You can put together all the biggest stars on one team, but that doesn't guarantee team chemistry.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I found an authentic Reuben Droughns Browns jersey at a local Goodwill for 2 bucks. I'd post pics if I had my camera.

What size? Willing to part with it, or are you attached to Reuben Droughns? :D

It is a 48. And I'm not looking to get rid of it, at least not now, sorry. I liked Reuben when we had him, plus this is my first authentic football jersey! ^_^

T1oYViW.png

Yeah, and it looks like "Majestic Block" numbers on the back. The first Yankees replica that I've seen without a name on the back.

I've seen them without names before, but they were always hard to find. Only store I ever saw them in was BC sports, which closed all its shops about 2 years ago. I believe they were all special order, or older, pre-batter-man, authentic. I have a Jeter replica with no NOB, I can post a picture if you want.

To get them from Majestic, all replicas have names on them. The Yankees pro shop have the exclusive nameless replicas now. But what we and many other stores would do, would be just order them blank, and then have them lettered with authentic #s ourselves.

You have to remember, most people who buy replicas don't even realize the Yankees don't wear the names on the back. I can't tell you how many times customers would bitch because it doesn't say Jeter or Rodriguez on it.

Really? Back in the '90s, I'll grant you that they drafted well, and most of that homegrown talent you're bragging about is from that era. But now, the Yankees' attitude is strictly "we've got a hole at x position? Well, we'd better buy up the best player in the league at that position right now, or make a bogus trade to get him." Then they wonder why there seems to be chemistry problems every year and they don't win championships as often as they used to. You can put together all the biggest stars on one team, but that doesn't guarantee team chemistry.

* 65 Phil Hughes

* 40 Dustin Moseley

* 62 Joba Chamberlain

* 29 Francisco Cervelli

* 20 Jorge Posada

* 24 Robinson Canó

* 2 Derek Jeter

* 19 Ramiro Peña

* 11 Brett Gardner

* 38 Marcus Thames

* 64 Andrew Brackman

* 68 Wilkin De La Rosa

* 46 Andy Pettitte

* 74 Héctor Noesi

* 41 Iván Nova

* 76 Reegie Corona

* 53 Juan Miranda

* 94 Eduardo Núñez

* 27 Colin Curtis

* 22 Chad Huffman

* 26 Kevin Russo

* 91 Alfredo Aceves

* 36 Nick Johnson

23 players, all home grown, only four of whom are holdovers from the 90's championship era

Anubis.png

23 players, all home grown, only four of whom are holdovers from the 90's championship era

But the four biggest impact players on that list came from the 90's championship era.... unless you'd like to argue that it was really the likes of Héctor Noesi and Andrew Brackman that won the championship last year.

By the way, Dustin Moseley started out in the Reds minor leagues and later moved to the Angels system. Chad Huffman started out in the Padres minor leagues. Alfredo Aceves started out in the Blue Jays minor leagues. Hardly homegrown talent there. And a lot of those players you named have either not played a major league game yet or have only played a few.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived