New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

The giant M on the arched wordmark makes it look lopsided, and the monstrous hat logo has all the appearance of a goofy theme park employee.

Agreed, the alignment and spacing of the jersey text is where they really screwed it up. The M at the beginning of Miami and Marlins is larger than the rest of the lettering which automatically makes it look lopsided and then they proceed to have the I on the home and away touching the M and the A on the orange alternate touching the M which further upsets the balance and makes the space between the I and the A in Miami and the A and the R in Marlins look completely off. Also the jerseys would look much better if the multicolored beveling of the M was carried throughout the remainder of the script on both Miami and Marlins. Overall the home white is the only set I can really say I like, as the silver outline of the lettering isn't visible from far away and doesn't interfere like it does on the other jerseys (makes the entire script look clunky).

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armin at Brand New has picked it up this morning http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/like_marlin_out_of_water.php . some comments from the readers . . .

"To be fair - I understand the desire to make the identity more "Miami." From a storytelling perspective, the idea of more closely identifying the team with the city is spot on. The new color palette is way more appropriate than black and teal. In that way, I think the basic idea is on target. It's the execution that drives me crazy."

"The marlin is rendered to look like it's coming towards us, but it ends up behind the peak of the "M"? It's a confusing juxapositon and the presence of the marlin is diminished. I want to like these colors so badly because they are mildly unusual reflections of Miami and they are not the typical lets-make-it-look-like-a-fish color scheme, BUT they fall short. I want that Art Deco so bad but it doesn't feel quite there."

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Both are nice and the 2012 Marlins look better than the death-by-black uniforms they were previously wearing.

This is nearly the same thing. As I said before, I can't imagine how the people who got sneak peaks thought these uniforms were so crazy. These uniforms are pretty conservative. Other than the orange jersey and the orange hat (the latter which I imagine won't last the season), these feature black letter, black numbers, black caps, a black alternate jersey and sleeve and neck piping that has been so trendy the last decade. There are a lot of colors on the edges of the wordmarks, but that is it. From any distance, these will look like just another team with black caps and numbers. I think the overreliance on black doomed these. If you are going to go for crazy, you might as well go all out. I imagine we will see the black jerseys the majority of the time, anyway, as most teams which give players jersey options end up wearing alts because it's kewl. In the long run, other than the few games the orange jersey sees per year, these are going to look sadly similar to the last soulless set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If you are going to go for crazy, you might as well go all out.

Have we ever heard that they intended to "go for crazy"? All I remember hearing was "we're going for more marketable."

True, some people who had an advance look reported back that they were all cutting-edge and pushing boundaries and all that, but obviously those people were just a little bit hyperbolic. I don't remember the team ever saying that pushing the envelope was a virtue.

If you are going to go for crazy, you might as well go all out.

Have we ever heard that they intended to "go for crazy"? All I remember hearing was "we're going for more marketable."

True, some people who had an advance look reported back that they were all cutting-edge and pushing boundaries and all that, but obviously those people were just a little bit hyperbolic. I don't remember the team ever saying that pushing the envelope was a virtue.

I don't know how marketable throwing a bunch of bright colors in would be, especially when Loria and every marketing wiz has been telling us for the past decade that fans only wear dark colors. They used catch phrases like the unforms would "encapsulate Miami" and so forth. I think the inclusion of all those colors and the way they were used hinted at planned zaniness. You don't include a rainbow of colors and keep the uniform conservative unless you half-assed it somewhere. I imagine they had crazier uniforms proposed which got scaled back over time, possibly after MLB got a hold of them. If "portraying the vibrant soul of Miami" means you basically take what others are already doing, throw a rainbow of trim on a single letter and add a horrible font, they have succeeded.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Overall I think this Marlins set is pretty nice. They were going for a new vibrant look that would help showcase the culture of Miami and I think they succeeded in doing so. I really like the orange jersey, and I think it looks better with the black cap than what I imagine it would look like with the orange hat. I think the home jersey is really sharp, definitely an upgrade to the bland black and white set they used to have. The only one I don't really like is the away uniform... I'm not a huge fan of the white letters on the gray jersey. Oh and I would have liked to see an alternate logo for the sleeves of the alternate jerseys, rather than just placing the cap logo on their. In fact, I'd prefer they go no patch at all than re-use the hat logo again.

They aren't the best in the bigs by any means, but they sure aren't the worst. Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box and going a unique route for a team that didn't have much of an identity (even with their 2 WS titles).

Oh and I can't stand that inaugural set of theirs with all the teal. Not sure why everyone seems to like those so much.

90758391980.gif

Like the subtitle of this whole thread - from a Logan Morrison tweet:

LoMo_Miami_Marlins.jpg

* Just noticed the black pants piping with the orange piping on the uniform top. Hopefully this was unintentional.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

LoMo_Miami_Marlins.jpg

* Just noticed the black pants piping with the orange piping on the uniform top. Hopefully this was unintentional.

The two guys in the orange jerseys have black piping on their pants, as does the guy in the black jacket. I can't see what color piping is on Hanley Ramirez's pants, but I'd be willing to bet that it's black. If it is black and it doesn't match the orange piping on the jersey, UGH.

PvO6ZWJ.png

LoMo_Miami_Marlins.jpg

The two guys in the orange jerseys have black piping on their pants, as does the guy in the black jacket. I can't see what color piping is on Hanley Ramirez's pants, but I'd be willing to bet that it's black. If it is black and it doesn't match the orange piping on the jersey, UGH.

If that piping doesn't match, that brings these down a notch or two. With the matching piping, it's a good uni. If it doesn't match, then somebody goofed.

LoMo_Miami_Marlins.jpg

If that piping doesn't match, that brings these down a notch or two. With the matching piping, it's a good uni. If it doesn't match, then somebody goofed.

It's supposed to Black...top and bottom.

LoMo_Miami_Marlins.jpg

It's supposed to Black...top and bottom.

Yet obviously not. They must've made a mismatched change late in the process.

I actually can't say I hate the new look. I give baseball a lot more leeway when it comes to very different looks as it's not an intimidating game (for the most part). I think the colors work well, and it's something unique right now in baseball. The only thing I don't care for is the Marlin in the wordmark, it could be a bit better, IMO.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Ramirez's pants had orange piping:

ramirezc.jpg

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19990585&topic_id=&c_id=mia&tcid=vpp_copy_19990585&v=3

Archived