2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

The pinstripes are only the primary this year to honor their 50th Anniversary. I believe they switch back next year. And I, personally, prefer the Cardinals road caps with the gray uniforms much more than the red cap, if only for the reason that it separates them from the other red cap on road teams; Phillies, Angels, Reds (basically), and even to an extent the D-Backs and Astros. Plus it actually has a longer history with the team than the red cap. They have it right all around as far as their caps go, and everything else too.

no, i actually don't think that's true.

and also, gotham: weren't the pinstripes still primary in '09, but switched to alts in '10?

You could well be right.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Mets' pinstripes became alternates when they switched from white to cream (2010?). And they were promoted back to primaries this year.

Right. Despite being seldom worn (relative to the snow white/black uniforms) they were still the official home uniform up until the switch to cream. I heard somewhere that after this 50th anniversary season they'll revert back to the pinstripes as alternates.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I think the Mets' pinstripes became alternates when they switched from white to cream (2010?). And they were promoted back to primaries this year.

That appears to be the case.

Though, it feels like the pinstripes have been the alternates for years ...

That appears to be the case.

Though, it feels like the pinstripes have been the alternates for years ...

It felt that way because they had 3 Alts to chose from... Especially since they fell in love with the black alt in recent years

Once the Blue Alt comes in they should only wear it during Day games and Sundays

True2OB.png

I love basically every Mets batting practice jersey. I particularly loved the black and blue ones with the orange dropshadow. It just came off as really cool to me.

4078.gif

This love also comes from MVP Baseball 2005 nostalgia. :P

Hell, I even liked this one...

Majestic%20Athletic%20New%20York%20Mets%20Tom%20Glavine%20Batting%20Practice%20Jersey.jpg

I saw it years ago on a Sportscenter highlight reel and I was taken aback. MLB needs more colorful alts.

bSLCtu2.png

And really, the BP uni is the best place to experiment. They should stop worrying about what color goes in what panel or collar and try out some potential new looks, especially since they are game-approved. Got a BP that seems to be a hit with fans? Try it in a game and see if they still like it. If they do, make it an alt. Certainly the blue 2011 Los Mets and the gold Brewers jerseys seemed to get a positive enough response to make teams think twice. I doubt the Brewers experienced the same call for more with the green and red ones this year (outside of a yearly one-off).

Some teams seem to experiment with BPs, but others just look like bad knockoffs of an existing jersey -- or worse, exact dupicates. At the very least teams should try using a secondary color. I loved those Mets orange BPs, and the blue and black ones weren't bad, either -- for a BP.

WOW No alts in the game. And yes that Atlanta road cap is awful.

They don't allow players to wear alts. I wish they would, would make the game a lot more fun if you ask me.

They DO allow alts. The last few years when the Mets have worn white jerseys, those were their alts. (for example, 2006, 2009). I'm sure their are other examples.

David-Wright---2006-Home-Run-All-Star-Game.jpg

I don't know about 2006, but in 2009 the snow-whites were the Mets' primary uniforms. The pinstripes were officially designated alts.

WRONG!

Mets designated snow whites as primaries for 2010 and 2011...This year, the pins are primaries. No official announcement has been made about 2013 yet.

New York Mets & New York Jets

having a little knowledge about the mets thinking here, in '13 i think you'll probably see them stay close to their '12 protocol: pins at night, snow whites during the day, and the new blues on fridays. except when santana pitches, and you'll get the whites (his preference) no matter the time or day.

haven't heard anything on them switching the pins back to alts, but personally, that would shock me.

sig2024.png

It really doesn't matter what they "designate" as the home or alt.. It doesn't have any bearing on what they wear more or often. So they can designate it officially all they want but at the end of the day which uniform are they actually wearing?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Nationals wearing their home red helmets on the road in Miami. No idea why, maybe the helmets got lost along the way to Miami. They appear to still be wearing the normal road hat but they haven't taken the field yet on D.

I was wondering that too. And it looked very good. I wish they would use the red hat on the road and keep the blue as an alt.

Nationals wearing their home red helmets on the road in Miami. No idea why, maybe the helmets got lost along the way to Miami. They appear to still be wearing the normal road hat but they haven't taken the field yet on D.

I was wondering that too. And it looked very good. I wish they would use the red hat on the road and keep the blue as an alt.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post says it was done as a nod to the Ted Williams-era Senators...

howard.jpg

90758391980.gif

With the National League and American League logos (hopefully) changing to 15 stars a piece, does this mean the Cubs will have a new alternate uniform next season? Will they keep using the 16 star logo? Will MLB even change the league logos?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

With the National League and American League logos (hopefully) changing to 15 stars a piece, does this mean the Cubs will have a new alternate uniform next season?

Couldn't they just change the logo?

Will they keep using the 16 star logo? Will MLB even change the league logos?

I would assume they'd change the logos. There hasn't been 30 teams forever, so I assume they changed the logos back in '98, which throws out any "tradition" argument.

I just hope they don't throw out the current league logos in favor of the vastly inferior alternates that MLB seems to prefer using from time to time. I get that the alternates are necessary when the league logos have to be shrinked to a point where the primary league logos would lose all of their details, but that's the only thing the alternates should be used for.

Also, retooling the alternate logos so they better resemble the primaries, just sans the details, would be a wise decision.

(Oh, and I really hope that Selig doesn't pull a Goodell and decide to "standardize" the league logos. These aren't conferences, they're separate leagues under one umbrella. Selig's done enough to make them more and more like conferences, rather than leagues.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Archived