2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

And at least in a playoff system, there's an easy response if schools cry about getting snubbed - win your conference and/or get ranked higher next year, and you'll be in. In the current system, it's not so clear-cut, because everything is so arbitrary.

With a small playoff system, there wouldn't really be much opportunity for an "undeserving" team to get in... whereas really good teams get left out of title contention regularly in the BCS (2004 Auburn/Utah and 2010 TCU spring to mind immediately).

Out of curiotisty, what made the undefeated Horn Frogs more deserving of a shot at the National Championship then the undefeated Ducks and Tigers?

I think the argument is that they weren't. They were just as deserving of a shot, as all three teams beat all of their regular season opponents.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember all the crying from Bucs, Giants, and Rams fans last year about 7-9 Seattle making the playoffs over them?

Why do you gotta include is in this crap? We deserved to miss the playoffs after that performance in Week 17 against Seattle.

-------------------

You're right, people do complain about snubs in larger tournaments such as the NCAA basketball tournament. The difference is that everybody forgets about the whining 5 minutes after the first tipoff, which in college football you have teams and fanbases loudly and publicly complaining about being snubbed years after the fact.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like Auburn is already crashing back down to Earth.

Eh, I'm not in this for the "ra ra" aspect. I'm in it for good football, and I saw my team win it all last year. So anything else is just gravy.

Now boo Alabama! or something. I donno.

The SEC still doesn't get respected enough. Only eight teams in the top 25? Come on.

As to the playoffs, an 11 team playoff between the 11 conference champions is probably the way to go. Don't win your conference? You're not good enough.

So PAC-12, ACC, SEC #2s are not as good as MAC, WAC, and SBC champions. Got it.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The SEC still doesn't get respected enough. Only eight teams in the top 25? Come on.

As to the playoffs, an 11 team playoff between the 11 conference champions is probably the way to go. Don't win your conference? You're not good enough.

Well... maybe the ACC #2.

But at the same time, they're not a champion. I do not think anyone who didn't win their conference championship has a legitimate claim to the national championship. Besides, most likely the MAC, WAC, and SBC champs would have to win four games in four weeks.

LvZYtbZ.png

Now boo Alabama! or something.

That's something we can all agree on, "ra ra" or not. B) (Sorry, NEW.ERA and bigmike.)

Loving our Defense right now ;)

Yes, I am aware that we're playing Kent State

Also go Utah State!!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah, I thought the TCU-Baylor game would be the only shocker of the week until I see Utah State going ahead of Auburn. I get that it's the first game without Newton and Fairley, but damn Auburn... No need for letting Utah State whip your asses on the ground there (Even though I say that, Auburn is now ahead. Go figure).

Other then that game and the Northwestern-BC game, it's been kinda dull. Come on people! Give me upsets. Give me chaos. Give me excitement. Give me a reason to tell rams80 to bust out the 'Shipment of Fail' pic. :P

^^^You must not have access to Middle Tennessee @ Purdue or Miami (OH)@ Mizzou.

I don't have access to the MTSU/Purdue game (Even then, they only had it on because the game I'm getting on the Big Ten Network, which is Tennessee Tech at Iowa, is in the middle of weather issues). I do have access to Miami of Ohio/Mizzou, and to be honest: Neither team looks that impressive right now. Granted, Mizzou did score, but... I sort of have doubts with both teams.

Yeah the SEC doesn't get respected enough...

Kentucky (SEC) 14 @ Western Kentucky (Sun Belt)3

Utah State (WAC) 31 @ Auburn (SEC & defending National Champs) 28 (At The Moment)

Looks like 2 SEC teams are having or HAD trouble with 2 "weak" conference opponents. SEC get blown enough by everyone in College Football, they don't need more respect.

Don't give me any of this "Auburn is using a new quarterback, blah blah... Utah State is using a freshman QB IN AUBURN, and Utah State is hanging in there and leading.

spacer.png

QUICK! FIND SOME OTHER HIGHLY SKILLED JUCO KID TO GIVE $180,000 TO!

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Record that onside. You'll never see another one so perfectly executed.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived