Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw these. All I have to say is...

:wub:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Worst cap logo ever, maybe.

7u2k951q3ngfrkhkg3tmqm1c9.gif

I found one worse.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hate the cartoon bird. But given that it's here and here to stay...

I think a "B" on his hat would have made sense rather than having him in an alt cap that actually exists. The "B" would have been like the "M" on the dolphin's football helmet. It would have been kind of generic, but would have been a nod to the city.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wordmark - I like the new Baltimore script. It looks a lot better than the neutered script of the last rendition. Upgrade.

Bird Logo - I like it. I like that it's wearing one of the teams' hats. My only gripe is with what's going on on the right side with the beak turning into the outline? Not sure if its just an over site or intended. The orange outline seems to be a tad too thick.

Hats - It seems to be over exposed. I think the white panel is nice, but it looks like it takes away from the new logo. I would like it better if the white panel was used for a Sunday Best type of uniform, rather than on the home and home alt. Like I said, I think they are going to end up over exposing the logo.

Jerseys - I like the addition or orange and black. I think 4 jerseys for a 162 game baseball season is about right + a Sunday Best. I like that they kept a consistent stripe pattern (black-orange-black). It just comes across weird as the black jersey has the black pipping around the orange, and the orange jersey has the orange pipping with black around it.

Overall, I think its a nice upgrade. I like the return of the bird logo. I think its much better than the 10th grade biology class logo - speaking from a baseball standpoint. My major gripe is the white panel hat. It is going to be over exposed being worn at home and with the alt. They should have made it a once (maybe twice - Saturday and Sunday) per week sort of thing.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The more I see the Baltimore jersey, the more I don't like it. I really thought there was going to be a big improvement, but there's just not. It's just so squished compared to the Orioles script, and the tail just doesn't look right - I'm not sure if it's at a different slope than the home, or if it's closer to the letters, or what, but it looks too straight and "perfect", and not "basebally".

IMO they should have taken this opportunity to drop the tail all together. Maybe not go back to the '80s script, but one that flows better and doesn't have a tail. The Baltimore script should have been done more like the older ones that have been posted earlier in this thread - imperfect, less "computerized" and more charming.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OK, I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can here, but this has got to be the best set in the MLB right now!

311798_306264919401305_182323085128823_1144293_900280651_n.jpg

:censored: yeah paneled caps, :censored: yeah Cartoon Bird, :censored: yeah minor tweaks. Well done, Orioles. Now, IF THEY CAN GET THE HELMETS TO MATCH THE CAPS, it will be even better.

Gonna be a tough choice between the paneled Oriole cap & the orange Marlins cap. May have to pick up both.

I could go either way on the bird logos, but colored bills have always made a cap seem a bit wider left to right, aswear one color caps appear more front to back, which is my preference. The "real" bird, being as wide as it was, always made the orange billed cap just seem too wide. I think it's best for an all-black cap. The cartoon bird is better suited for the colored bill, though I agree that his cap should have a B on it. Now the panel cap just needs to go. It already looks dated. Maybe it could work as a Sunday cap, but not the everyday home. Don't get the overitalization of the new Baltimore script, but it's definitely and improvement so it'll work. So everything but the new home cap is an A. The panel cap brings it down to a A-. Would go further down because I just really don't like that cap, but everything else is too good. Without getting too in depth at the moment, I'd have to give their overall set at least a top 10 ranking (maybe higher if that cap is gone).

OK, I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can here, but this has got to be the best set in the MLB right now!

311798_306264919401305_182323085128823_1144293_900280651_n.jpg

:censored: yeah paneled caps, :censored: yeah Cartoon Bird, :censored: yeah minor tweaks. Well done, Orioles. Now, IF THEY CAN GET THE HELMETS TO MATCH THE CAPS, it will be even better.

Gonna be a tough choice between the paneled Oriole cap & the orange Marlins cap. May have to pick up both.

Just read on orioles.com that the helmets will match the caps.

The bird head would look so much better with a hairline orange outline instead of the monsterous one they went with. That would still distinguish his head and cap from the black background of the road cap, and it would blend into the bottom beak without looking as clunky as it does now. Either way, the top and bottom beak should either both have a black outline or neither have one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My theory has always been that teams should wear the look that is most-associated with their period of greatest success, since that's the time that brands a team in the most-positive and memorable light. It's the reason I've thought the Brewers should return to the "MB/glove" look, the Royals to full-time powder blue, the Reds to the Big Red Machine look...and the reason I'm glad the Blue Jays are returning to the World Series/Joe Carter look, the Mets are apparently echoing the Miracle Mets look (well, and the woeful 1962 look as well, but, um...work with me, here!), even the A's bringing back the yellow jersey last year with "A's" on the chest, reminiscent of the '72-'74 three-peat A's. I see these looks and think of the most memorable teams in the history of these franchises. I see the cartoon bird and white panels and think just that about the Orioles.

So you're also saying that you would like to see the Pirates go back to their bumblebees-on-acid disaster uniforms of the late-70s? Or the White Sox go back to their beer league softball-esque collared jerseys with shorts or the beach blanket design? Ugh...

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I always appreciated the uniqueness of the ornithologically correct bird as a cap logo, so part of me is sad to see it go altogether. I thought maybe it could work as a shoulder patch. I like when teams use something other than a letter on the cap, so I appreciate the bird head still carrying that forward for the Orioles. That said, the beak/trim blending is annoying on the logo graphic itself. The cap logo works better due to the stitching. I like the black hat better and I think in time it will take over for the paneled cap as the home cap. The paneled cap works best with the orange alt, so I would say it should be the alt with the black as the primary.

no need to worry the classic bird will be back in 5 years as the novelty of the cartoon bird (and merch sales) grows stale.

My theory has always been that teams should wear the look that is most-associated with their period of greatest success, since that's the time that brands a team in the most-positive and memorable light. It's the reason I've thought the Brewers should return to the "MB/glove" look, the Royals to full-time powder blue, the Reds to the Big Red Machine look...and the reason I'm glad the Blue Jays are returning to the World Series/Joe Carter look, the Mets are apparently echoing the Miracle Mets look (well, and the woeful 1962 look as well, but, um...work with me, here!), even the A's bringing back the yellow jersey last year with "A's" on the chest, reminiscent of the '72-'74 three-peat A's. I see these looks and think of the most memorable teams in the history of these franchises. I see the cartoon bird and white panels and think just that about the Orioles.

So you're also saying that you would like to see the Pirates go back to their bumblebees-on-acid disaster uniforms of the late-70s? Or the White Sox go back to their beer league softball-esque collared jerseys with shorts or the beach blanket design? Ugh...

Umm...

2005-World-Series-White-Sox-Victory-Celebration.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived