College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

New uniform thoughts

Alabama: Cool, a baselayer. As long as it's kewl enough for the 17-year olds. Do whatever the hell you want there Nike.

Oregon: I never really liked the winged helmets, the O's always seemed to be better to me. I'm glad to see them back, hopefully they bring them back full-time. Also, that Kelly Green color is probably my favorite jersey by far now, they've looked great in it recently. Black really doesn't compare to it.

Florida State: I don't understand cutting the collar short, it's probably the first thing they should've fixed and now it's all over both uniforms.

Ohio State: Meh. Hopefully this is a one-game thing, it's not major, but I'm much more used to the current striping pattern. It's a lot cleaner.

Really glad Nike didn't do anything crazy here, especially considering "classic" schools like Alabama and Ohio State were involved.

Given the short lead times that it takes to make the uniforms you basically have 3 options:

1. Create a bunch of alt designs for who you think the contenders are very early in the season
  2. Recolor an existing design
  3. Release next year's design early

Given that fsu just released this set and they had a ton of problems getting it right, I doubt they'd want to make any more changes. No way bama is going to make a drastic change or wear an alt in the postseason. tOSU is a good candidate as they've been experimenting regularly with alts and their current set has been around for a while which leads me to think that this jersey may end up in next season's rotation as the primary or a new alt. Oregon really isn't anything new which is kind of surprising. It's basically digging into the parts bin and doing a mach speed fighting ducks mashup in a basic kelly scheme with a tweaked classic O helmet. Overall they look good but the designs are nowhere nearly as drastic or dramatic as we've seen in the past with PCR etc.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one was pretty suspicious of seeing Oregon using the "O" helmet, and I'm starting to feel it was done for the sake of showcasing the new uniform elements in monochromatic format in the press release. I know the release mentions Oregon will wear satin green helmets, but I'm thinking it'll either be their normal wing helmets or Oregon will do whatever...because they're Oregon. The away uniforms will feature their normal white helmet, and I saw this image on Nike's store for the new diamond quest collection.

Bs9aeYe.jpg

Oregon has a normal helmet? :o

I for one was pretty suspicious of seeing Oregon using the "O" helmet, and I'm starting to feel it was done for the sake of showcasing the new uniform elements in monochromatic format in the press release. I know the release mentions Oregon will wear satin green helmets, but I'm thinking it'll either be their normal wing helmets or Oregon will do whatever...because they're Oregon. The away uniforms will feature their normal white helmet, and I saw this image on Nike's store for the new diamond quest collection.

Bs9aeYe.jpg

Add some yellow pants and this is close to perfection imo. I really hope to see this helmet. It's probably my top 3 in the country.

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

Yes, people can really say that.

People on here both confuse me yet also never surprise me. They claim to love consistent striping, yet they love their old looks whether they look better or not.

Loving consistent striping and older looks is no more cognitively dissonant than being both confused and unsurprised by the same group of internet posters.

I'd just fill the middle gray portion with scarlet. That way you have both consistency and the classic stripe pattern. Problem solved.

NzlLaF7.png

People on here can't really be saying they like the old/Playoff stripes because they look better than the ones they've been wearing right?

I don't think it's the love of that striping pattern per se but the fact that it has gray on it which the current home does not. People liked having a small bit of gray on the home jersey.

I prefer these, using the grey on the stripes looks more like cloassic ohio state

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I don't know if satin was included, but anodized was in the description of the finish on the orange Illinois helmets.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't know if satin was included, but anodized was in the description of the finish on the orange Illinois helmets.

Hopefully, this is what the Browns will be getting and not something stupid.

Back on topic... I am pretty disappointed that Oregon is not going to wear the wing helmets. I thought those wing helmet were the single best looking uniform design to be debuted in recent history. I always lean traditional over modern... but there was something about those wings. It made the uniform look amazing. I don't really know how to explain it. It make them look stronger, taller, faster, meaner... someone help me out.

Nike describes Oregon's helmet as "anodized satin". Not sure what that means. In the past I've heard matte, I've heard liquid metal, I've heard a lot of things, but never anodized satin.

This tweet has also peaked my interest in the new 'O' helmet.

Wait until you see the helmets live. https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoDucks?src=hash http://t.co/6R1DVXO1MV

Craig Pintens (@UOPintens) https://twitter.com/UOPintens/status/542336718527922176

' class="bbc_url">@

Wait until you see the helmets live. https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoDucks?src=hash http://t.co/6R1DVXO1MV

Craig Pintens (@UOPintens) https://twitter.com/UOPintens/status/542336718527922176

Probably will be similar to Arkansas's helmets.

Maybe it's possible that it's different people that love consistent striping and old looks?

Lumping this entire board together as "people on here" isn't fair, as you won't find a consistent opinion on anything.

For instance, somebody was even defending Comic Sans in the NBA thread.

The Horror!!! But you are right some things just look good but I like the current striping better than the old but the old still looks good

The retail version of the FSU jersey on the Speed Machine template is so superior to the Mach Speed version. Cutoff collar aside, the sleeves kill it.

-00032460X_05H_A.jpg

LIMITED-JRSY---PY00B-00030855X_05B_A.jpg

I misread that then. By killing it, I thought he meant it was better even with the collar, not the opposite.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

NzlLaF7.png

I prefer these, using the grey on the stripes looks more like classic Ohio State

This point exactly. Just switch out the number font, change shoulder numbers to white and it's the jersey I grew up with. That's why people love it so much.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived