Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

The chrome mask would actually look decent on a few teams, but not this one. It doesn't fit the color scheme.

I'm not trying to defend this hot mess of a uniform, but the chrome effect is duplicated in the numerals, as well as in the helmet decal.

Yeah I should have clarified. I was referring to the pewter(brown) and red combination. I just don't think chrome really fits in that color palette. Just my opinion of course. You are the expert. :notworthy:

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all somehow missed that. I agree - this is WAY worse than the jags mess. At least I can tell what the jags were trying to do, and (sorta) why they were trying to do it. It just didn't work.

But this? There's absolutely no reason for it other than "I dunno... cause we can?"

It was briefly discussed in this mega thread during the reveal but was quickly buried by the sheer volume of posts so it's easy to understand why it wasn't noticed.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Yeah, there was a reason given for why the Jags helmet is the way it is. It wasn't a good one, and the execution was terrible. It may even be worse then the Bucs' helmets overall. At least there was some sort of vision or concept being carried out though.

These? It's like they finished the helmets, had cans of black spray paint lying around, and said "eh, why not?"

Oyn1ohn.png

And one showing the custom, hand-painted shading on the crown.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Bucs-Unveil-Enhanced-Logo-and-Helmet/744d6357-fe9f-4ecd-bda4-2dc05ff0f2d3

...The helmet retains its trademark pewter color and includes a larger logo on each side along with the revolutionary new chrome facemask. Also unique to the Buccaneers’ look will be a hand-painted shading technique that uses a darker pewter color running vertically from the front of the helmet to the crown and along the ear-holes, providing a one-of-a-kind custom look.

I found my post about this after some digging (page 43 for me) that shows a screen shot taken during the reveal that shows this aspect of the helmet. I had also linked an article that mentions it.

This is like some surreal conceptual art project. Its like they've implanted little visual timebombs that pop up every time you're in danger of becoming numb to the sheer horribleness of the design. Right now I'm picturing a Nike design conference in which it was decided the absolute worst response they could get was "I hated it at first but now I'm getting used to it" and set out to see that this isn't possible. There is no getting used to this. It literally does get progressively worse every time you notice a new wrinkle. Amazing.

Just wanted to say this guy has been on a roll lately. Bravo OSV

90758391980.gif

Yeah, there was a reason given for why the Jags helmet is the way it is. It wasn't a good one, and the execution was terrible. It may even be worse then the Bucs' helmets overall. At least there was some sort of vision or concept being carried out though.

These? It's like they finished the helmets, had cans of black spray paint lying around, and said "eh, why not?"

Basically right before the unveiling someone goofed and spray painted streaks on the helmet or spilled paint or something. Since they couldn't postpone the release, they just made up some bull :censored: to explain it. That's why it's "hand painted". And now here we are.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Basically right before the unveiling someone goofed and spray painted streaks on the helmet or spilled paint or something. Since they couldn't postpone the release, they just made up some bull :censored: to explain it. That's why it's "hand painted". And now here we are.

Nope, Nike probably meant to have those black lines on the helmet.

QB jersey color is great...numerals are a waste product.

alex-tanney-josh-mccown-mike-glennon-nfl

What a wonderfully illegible name font. Are they really calling that a "W"?

And damn if I didn't forget about the stupid black lines again. I actually thought the helmets looked pretty good in that first picture where the black lines look like shadows... then I kept scrolling down. SMH.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT: I actually...like the helmet. Kinda. The brighter red and the huge logo and the too-perfect flag don't look as bad as I thought they would.

The streaks were definitely made for the Revo Speed. Looks like they tried some shading effects that worked really well on the Michigan State pro-combat rustic gold helmets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The completed product may not be worse (though it arguably is) but the concept is a million billion trillion times worse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Jaguars helmet is absolutely godawful execution, but based around a potentially interesting idea. This though... this is a bunch of pseudo-trends and other random ideas flung together with no discernible key idea or concept behind it.

I said it when they first came out and I'll say it again; this identity strikes me as the product of attempting to combine every single idea that came out of the first design meeting into one set, without even attempting to weed out the crappy ones.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The Jags' look may be bad, but it's salvageable. Not to mention that the set it replaced wasn't a good look either. This Tampa Bay revamp, though...I'm having a very hard time picking out things they did right with this, and I can usually find at least one good idea/element in a bad design. And on top of that, the jersey set that these replaced were at least Top 5 in my opinion. By that factor alone, these are worse than Jacksonville's.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Why do people have such a hard time "getting" Jacksonville's helmet? Teal-nosed Jaguars (the 11th most rare kind) are well known for hiding in matte black shadows and jumping into piles of glossy gold (except, like, pretend that's reversed). You can clearly see that on the side of the helmet.

- Minimal orange, crap number font, tramp stamp.

- Two toned helmet, cap sleeves, pointless striping patterns.

- Overdone helmet, craptastic number font, poor color blocking.

All deemed good ideas and people are getting paid for them. I'm convinced that there is seriously something going on with the water supply in Florida.

Midway.png

You should be doing your testing in Oregon instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived