New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Matte orange helmets look awful. Satin works and makes sense for Cleveland but I'm thinking we might see something more like Oregon State's finish.

New-Orange-Oregon-State-Helmet-1.jpg

Reminds me too much of those orange, Tootsie Pops:

1.jpg

How is that a bad thing. Did you have a bad experience with orange tootsie pops in the past?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matte orange helmets look awful. Satin works and makes sense for Cleveland but I'm thinking we might see something more like Oregon State's finish.

Now you're talkin'... Sign me up for that finish on the new lids.

What is that finish? Candy?

that might be Riddell's orange version of their "lightning" paint.. i've mentioned it before in another topic, but their "lightning" paints are the closest they can come to "chrome" finishes using only paint.. much more cost-effective for teams looking for something more chrome-like as it only costs about $20/helmet to have them repainted, but it costs about $500/helmet to have the chrome finishes applied.. clearly, it's not super close to chrome, but it's a better finish option than gloss, satin, metallic, or matte if you're looking for the same "POP" that you'd get from chrome...

i still think they'd look sharp if they went with something similar to Illinois' satin orange lids, but that's just my two cents..

I don't think osu is riddell exclusive so that would make a riddell specific finish less likely. Schutt had a candy finish that gave off a chrome-ish effect way back in the late 90's as well. I think northwestern used it.

You're right. The paint job on Oregon State's helmet is courtesy of HGI, which does a lot of the custom helmets that Nike designs.

Now you're talkin'... Sign me up for that finish on the new lids.

This would be perfect.

I don't see how a gunmetal alternate comes into play here. If there's 9 combos, all that means is brown, orange, and white versions of the jersey and pants.

VmWIn6B.png

It's possible they replace the brown pants or the white pants with gunmetal pants. Or they don't have an orange jersey and do a gunmetal jersey instead.

Or perhaps not, and gunmetal is just a trim color.

Or maybe there's no gunmetal at all and that reporter was just wrong.

I think the Browns are putting more of an emphasis on orange, so I would assume orange is going to be a jersey color. The teams/franchise also likes that brown pants, so I would assume that's one pair. The white pants and white jersey are going to remain. That leave 1 other jersey and 1 other pant. I think it would be a disaster to not have BROWN for the Browns... so I am assuming a brown jersey. I think they want to have gray more of long term color, not just a trim color... which is why I think the third pair of pants will be gray.

It's been "reported" a few times that there will definitely be a third color introduced and that orange pants are not part of the rebrand. Unless they made a last minute change, I hate to say it but grey pants seem very likely.

I'm expecting a trainwreck.

It's been "reported" a few times that there will definitely be a third color introduced and that orange pants are not part of the rebrand. Unless they made a last minute change, I hate to say it but grey pants seem very likely.

Oh God... I'm not looking forward to this... I'll keep an open mind about the uniforms and pray that they're good, but you're probably right.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Why are so many going into this with such a negative attitude? Outside of the Buccanneers disastrous number font, all other Nike updates have been fine. The Dolphins, Seahawks and Vikings look amazing. The Jaguars uniforms themself look very good and if the helmet was all-black, this would also be a success. Even the Chiefs and Bears look better with the Nike improvement with the adjustment of the TV numbers. Yes, Nike has done some outrageous things in college (all brands have), but again, outside of my Bucs, all others haven't been anywhere close to as bad as many on here make them out to be. Plus, anyone under the age of 51 has never seen the Browns win a championship. That's a 51 year tradition of not being good enough. Time for a change, IMO.

Yeah, the reports are that there will be three jerseys and three pants, and that gray has been added as a color. If it's true that orange pants are out, then obviously, one pair must be gray. Logic.

I'm still just skeptical of pretty much everything, when it comes to these things. Remember Paul Brown's silhouette? Exactly.

When the Vikings were getting ready to drop their new uniform it was widely "understood" that there'd be gray pants. The truth is, we really don't know anything for sure.

Why are so many going into this with such a negative attitude? Outside of the Buccanneers disastrous number font, all other Nike updates have been fine. The Dolphins, Seahawks and Vikings look amazing. The Jaguars uniforms themself look very good and if the helmet was all-black, this would also be a success. Even the Chiefs and Bears look better with the Nike improvement with the adjustment of the TV numbers. Yes, Nike has done some outrageous things in college (all brands have), but again, outside of my Bucs, all others haven't been anywhere close to as bad as many on here make them out to be. Plus, anyone under the age of 51 has never seen the Browns win a championship. That's a 51 year tradition of not being good enough. Time for a change, IMO.

Almost everything in this post is demonstrably wrong (besides the bad stuff said about the Bucs, although there's much more wrong besides the numbers)

Deformed number fonts, pointless gimmicks that just muddle everything up, templated pant stripes, a freaking black and gold gradient helmet (you can say "if it wasn't" but the simple fact is it is) Also you didn't mention the hedious toilet seat collars. And not winning a championship in a long time is no excuse to change a perfect look.

The only things Nike has really done right are changing the shades of the Dolphins' aqua and Vikings' purple, and the Panthers logo update (if that was even them...) Design-wise essentially everything has been at best bleh and at worst (and usually) atrocious.

Almost everything in this post is demonstrably wrong (besides the bad stuff said about the Bucs, although there's much more wrong besides the numbers)

Deformed number fonts, pointless gimmicks that just muddle everything up, templated pant stripes, a freaking black and gold gradient helmet (you can say "if it wasn't" but the simple fact is it is) Also you didn't mention the hedious toilet seat collars. And not winning a championship in a long time is no excuse to change a perfect look.

The only things Nike has really done right are changing the shades of the Dolphins' aqua and Vikings' purple, and the Panthers logo update (if that was even them...) Design-wise essentially everything has been at best bleh and at worst (and usually) atrocious.

I appreciate your OPINION but as a life-long dolphin fan I loved our rebrand

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I agree with this entire post. We are only hearing the opinions of people who will hate it no matter what. I guarantee that more people like all the changes Nike made, we just don't hear the posts that people that like it make because the pessimists and complainers are the loudest.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think anyone is saying they're going to be bad because it's Nike. They're basing their opinions off of things we've heard. 9 combos? Ew. Gunmetal gray? Please no. "Modern" uniforms? We know what Nike does with "modern" unis.

The fact is, the last time we had a huge reveal thing like this was the Bucs, and those are inexcusably awful. The Jaguars unis (even without the terrible helmets) are IMO horrendous. I personally think the Seahawks look alright, but I know I'm in a minority here. The Dolphins rebrand was kinda boring. Honestly, the only team they haven't downgraded is the Vikings. So, you'll excuse the people going into this without much hope.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Personally I think the redesign has a chance to look really ugly but there's also a good chance it could look really good because nike's had some really good and some really bad redesigns. There's a good chance that dark gray will be added as an extra color and will be the 3rd pant color but then again they could go with orange pants.

I agree with this entire post. We are only hearing the opinions of people who will hate it no matter what. I guarantee that more people like all the changes Nike made, we just don't hear the posts that people that like it make because the pessimists and complainers are the loudest.

Agree. The truth this board refuses to accept is that outside of this place, the casual fans love the new Bucs uniforms, the Dolphins uniform is seen as a universal upgrade, and that with most people under 25 who even casually follow the sport, the Seahawks have the best uniforms in the NFL.

I love the Browns look, it's so classic and to me it embodies fall, but the truth is there is an ugly reputation associated with the look. When Whitner said there were 9 possible combos, the most tweeted responses were "representing the average number of losses a season in Browns history!" and "sometimes my :censored: is 9 color combos too!" and posts listing off different, demeaning shades of brown (like :censored:stain brown, diarrhea brown, etc..)

One of the NFL's most storied franchises deserves better. I'm glad they are changing, and for their sake, I hope they are unrecognizable. It's time for a complete culture shift.

the casual fans love the new Bucs uniforms, the Dolphins uniform is seen as a universal upgrade, and that with most people under 25 who even casually follow the sport, the Seahawks have the best uniforms in the NFL.

Do you have statistical or anecdotal evidence to support these claims?

the casual fans love the new Bucs uniforms, the Dolphins uniform is seen as a universal upgrade, and that with most people under 25 who even casually follow the sport, the Seahawks have the best uniforms in the NFL.

Do you have statistical or anecdotal evidence to support these claims?

No, how would I? I'm a pretty sociable person, and I've heard these opinions expressed in lots of sportsbars on Sundays and from co-workers and friends who are casual fans when watching the games on Sundays.

Personally I think the redesign has a chance to look really ugly but there's also a good chance it could look really good because nike's had some really good and some really bad redesigns. There's a good chance that dark gray will be added as an extra color and will be the 3rd pant color but then again they could go with orange pants.

Unfortunately I think Nike's best work has been at the college level (Oregon, Oregon State, Oklahoma State, Illinois and Florida State). All of the new NFL uniforms are a disappointment except for Seattle and Minnesota. A part of me wonders if the NFL is to blame or if Nike is trying too hard to make a statement on a big stage. After hearing about the different logo options the NFL presented to the Browns I'd have to say they may be the problem.

Archived