NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

I loved the slate blue at the time, but it didn't age well. It looks especially awful on fans still wearing jerseys in that color.

I feel like that blue changed for me, also. I don't know if it was just my impression of it, or if the color they used actually morphed slightly, but by the end of that uniform's run, I was completely tired of it. Does anybody else feel like early on it was easier to tell the slate blue and the navy blue apart? I remember watching highlights of a Seahawk game from 4 or 5 years ago when it took me a minute or so to realize they were wearing their navy blue alt pants instead of the usual slate blue. I feel like when the uniform first debuted the contrast was stronger, although I know it doesn't seem likely that they'd intentionally darken the color.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a crap opinion. The only thing the old logo has going for it is nostalgia and better colors. The new logo is superior, not because it is apparently "tougher", but because has better line work, consistent line weight, and a shape that actually ends and flows without the context of a helmet. Just because a design is old doesn't mean that it should be allowed to be sloppy. There are logos that are much older than the Seahawks (the Red Wings, Blackhawks, etc...) that have great line work. The old Seahawks logo was a great idea that was executed poorly and was profoundly improved by the latest revision, end of debate.

It may be a better logo by modern standards, but would you agree that it no longer accurately represents its inspiration?

I mean, it's hard to argue with the side-by-side shot of the actual art and the original logo, isn't it?

I ask because you seem so definitive and I don't look at the new logo and see a totem pole anymore. Mainly because of the eye, I suppose.

new-seahawks.jpg

Their first logo was pretty much a straight up representation of a historic piece...

seahawkslogo_small.jpg

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that "Seahawks Blue" was an ugly, dull color. The color scheme was the biggest upgrade made in 2012.

The light blue was hideous to my eyes. You aren't alone.
I hate it as well, it just looks so washed out. Maybe if it wasn't used with navy, it would look slightly better.

The slate blue was cool for a couple of years but then became drab. Maybe a little too close to what we see 9 months out of the year here. It was kind of cool that they created a blue color that mimicked that overcast sea of grey, but then again, a little goes a long way and we already have too much of it here in our weather.

Giving life to the blue was a great move. Not as bright as the original royal blue, but much more personality than the slate blue.

I can see both sides of the argument. Yes, the original logo was a much more literal interpretation of the design. You could clearly see the Native American imagery. The new logo clearly uses the same idea but the execution does lose a bit of the charm. However, I don't think sports logos need to be exact replicas of the real thing and still believe the Hawks logo is a slam dunk upgrade. I rank it similarly to the Cardinals update. Everything about it works for me and it is still clear what it is supposed to portray.

Also, I have lost track and can't recall- do the new Browns unis come out this offseason or do they come out for the 2016 season?

Final Four uni ranking:

1) Indy - classic, perfect.

2) GB - close to perfect, yellow pants have always irked me.

3) Seattle - all blue sucks. The other combo's I like.

4) NE - LOLOLOL. They are in my NFL bottom 3 for uni's. Just god awful.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd like to see Indy have blue pants for road games.

Ahhh, I think that would have been an ok look for a game or two, a few years back. But now that Buffalo has changed their uni's, I think they might be too similar, with the white/white/blue combo.

The current Seahawks logo is the perfect blend of literal interpretation with application-specific tweaks - meaning it's clearly been modified to be marketable as a logo for a team that plays an aggressive sport, but hasn't been rendered in an over-aggressive or cartoonish fashion.

The old one was just a little too literal for my tastes, and while it certainly worked well on the helmet, just doesn't hold a candle to the modernized one IMO. While more of a tweak than how the AZ Cardinals did to their logo, I think the effect is essentially the same, and they knocked it out of the park with the refresh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I liked the slate blue the Seahawks used because it felt like it was customized just for Seattle's blue-greyness. Navy blue, that could be anyone.I'd have kept the slate blue and used more neon green.

Agreed. The slate blue was unique without being too weird. I never stopped liking it.

Regarding the logo, I love how the original came about but I like the update and feel it still reresents the Native art well. I like it better.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I loved the slate blue for the same reasons as everyone else who did, even though I understand the opinions of the people who didn't . I thought the lime green provided enough pop.

I wonder how the current navy would look with the slate blue being the secondary color?

I thought about that, but at the same time, it was almost two years ago.

*Side note* Looking at that photo again, I am pretty sure those are the old Dolphins colors mocked up on the new design. Way too dark. Perhaps Nike established the foundation of the identity first and then waited for Miami to settle on their color palette?

Archived