NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The more I look at the new collars, the more ugly they appear. Good lord, those weird curves are :censored: ugly!

I knew the collars didn't look great, but I just realized how awful the laces are on these! There's a solid few inches of collar above the laces... what exactly are the laces supposed to be tying together?

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Maybe the NHL hires design groups who aren't hockey fans and don't care about uniform aesthetics.

That'd be a weird group to put in charge of the NHL uniform program...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

38 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I knew the collars didn't look great, but I just realized how awful the laces are on these! There's a solid few inches of collar above the laces... what exactly are the laces supposed to be tying together?

Feels like the laces are attaching the green ends together and the white part is an undershirt. 

21 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That'd be a weird group to put in charge of the NHL uniform program...

If it's cheaper for the NHL to hire a group with less experience, they'll save their pennies.

23 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

If it's cheaper for the NHL to hire a group with less experience, they'll save their pennies.

True, but I'm not sure the NHL is paying for anything in this apparel deal.  Usually the clothier pays for everything.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If there's laces in the jersey, the pentagonal cutout above the laces should be the same color as the jersey body. That would cut down on the absurdity of the look from a distance, at least.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

44 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The laces look like they were an after thought. Adidas: "what do you mean some teams have laces on the collars? s*** find some room for them"

Fanbrandz worked with the Oilers on the new uniform design, and have various concepts on their website.

http://fanbrandz.com/#/edmonton-oilers-uniforms-designs/ I can't post the image here, but here's a breakdown.

The design in the foreground is similar to the end product, except that the collar colors are flipped and the pants striping has the old flare at the bottom.  They definitely made the right collar color arrangement in the end.

The designs in the background are where it gets more interesting.  

One on the bottom left shows swooping sleeve stripes and side panels, as well as a phantom yoke.  The socks are basically a recoloring of the Caps home socks swapping red for orange.

The one in the top left looks to be the same as the bottom left except the phantom yoke is filled in with navy.

The top middle features the navy yoke and similar swooping sleeve design, but with a swooping hem design as opposed to side panels.

It's also worth noting that all the background designs use the previous orange hue while the foreground is in the new hue.

Most of these were probably nothing more than concepting to see where ideas took them.  I doubt most of these were seriously considered, but it's interesting to see their ideas.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:31 PM, Bradbury said:

Wouldn't it be simpler to cut two panels (i.e. a front and back) and sew them with the sublimated stripes matching than sewing different colors of fabric to construct stripes between multiple panels? I'm thinking more of traditional hem striping than, say, the Ducks' complicated side panel look. And as long as teams generally know what numbers are going to be worn by which players (or sizes), names could still be sewn-on without adding a ton of weight.

Sublimation can produce some really cool effects, but I do not like it for primary on-ice jerseys.

Yes and no. There is less cutting and sewing overall with sublimation, but you’re losing time by having to print the panels to begin with as compared to cut and sewn stripes, so you’re just allocating the time and focus elsewhere. Sublimation is great for customizing small runs of garments (say, a small team where the minimums for a custom cut and sew garment would be much too high), and for achieving graphic treatments that just aren’t feasible with cut and sew. For huge runs of product, it’s not really more efficient.

In terms of performance, I would again just say that personally, I think there’s an optimum balance of weight and durability, especially in a contact sport. You’d have to ask a player to compare the feel of a fully sublimated and a cut and sewn jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Not going to dissect the block-quoting because I'm in phone, but thank you for the detailed response on that, Andrew. So the new shoulder patches are (mostly) like the patches seen on replica soccer jerseys, then. For me, that represents a drop in quality, but that is totally a matter of personal preference based on what I've grown accustomed to.

Not sure I buy the argument against sublimation, though. We see it in plenty of Euro leagues, the late '90s certainly had a ton of it stateside, many minor league baseball teams have gone to sublimated jerseys, and Australian football has worn fully-sublimated performance fabric jerseys for years, albeit with much less material. And as for the pickle of a last-minute call-up? Vinyl numbers, heat press, bang, done.

Personally, I wouldn’t characterize it as lower quality. A few top tier soccer clubs have the molded Chromaflex-style crests, but a large majority use woven crests, probably more than embroidered ones at this point. Woven is smoother, lighter, more durable, and able to hold more detail while still retaining the character of a textile process.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 hours ago, Sabres7200 said:

Fanbrandz worked with the Oilers on the new uniform design, and have various concepts on their website.

http://fanbrandz.com/#/edmonton-oilers-uniforms-designs/ I can't post the image here, but here's a breakdown.

The designs in the background are where it gets more interesting.  

One on the bottom left shows swooping sleeve stripes and side panels, as well as a phantom yoke.  The socks are basically a recoloring of the Caps home socks swapping red for orange.

The one in the top left looks to be the same as the bottom left except the phantom yoke is filled in with navy.

It is just me or are those swooping side panels supposed to mimic the oil drop from the logo?

IbjBaeE.png

Archived