The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo is on pace to be the worst team in NHL history, yet somehow our fans haven't thrown jerseys off the ice.

The Oilers were supposed to stop being bad like two years ago. I'd imagine it gets old fast.

I've finally indulged and made the purchase to NHL Gamecenter because of McCarthy's post and I share in his raging love for it. It has a ton of great features and the quality has been phenomenal thus far. Especially for liking an out of market team, I can't believe I didn't make the move sooner.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Eh it's fine. Hit's legal. Was it necessary? Maybe not, but I liked it. Sends a message or whatever.

Other notes:

- Darcy Kuemper is human.

- Ducks are fine.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

At what point during the season does a slow start turn into OMG WE'RE SCREWED? The All-Star Break?

With the Flyers and Avalanche.... I mean, if they don't get some points coming up, they could be torpedoed out of the hunt ala the 2011 Devils.

So this happened right at the end of the Ducks win over the Wild.

JxxZfI7.gif

I mean it's a clean enough hit, but people are taking exception that it happened in the neutral zone at the very end of the game of which the Ducks were winning.

It's a faaaaaaaaake! If you're gonna Photoshop something like that, you can't have Jason Pominville grabbing a guy in a scrum. It was just Dany Heatley? Alright, I guess.

JxxZfI7.gif

I mean it's a clean enough hit, but people are taking exception that it happened in the neutral zone at the very end of the game of which the Ducks were winning.

It's a faaaaaaaaake! If you're gonna Photoshop something like that, you can't have Jason Pominville grabbing a guy in a scrum. It was just Dany Heatley? Alright, I guess.

Orrrrrr Ryan Getzlaf.

(Heatley's injured and #51 now)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

With all the talking heads making it seem like a SCF without Chicago/LA would be shocking (you don't see any other West teams getting serious Cup love)...

The 2011 Canucks in retrospect seem more and more impressive- that team was a monster. I mean, hell, look at the 2nd round that year- Nucks, Preds, Wings, Sharks.

Crazy to think it was just 3 years ago the Blackhawks/Kings were both one and done the same year. Seems like a long time ago.

JxxZfI7.gif

Orrrrrr Ryan Getzlaf.

(Heatley's injured and #51 now)

That's what I get for watching it on my tiny phone.

JxxZfI7.gif

I'd find the whole "sending a message" schtick more plausible here if it were another team, say the Kings. Sharks or Stars. What kind of beef do the Ducks have against Minnesota to start with, if any?

Once again, a disgruntled fan threw a jersey on to the ice in Toronto (it's also happened in Edmonton already this year). And, of course, the players are not happy about it.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/10/18/toronto-maple-leafs-disapprove-of-tossing-jersey-onto-ice-we-fight-hard-for-that-logo/

This kind of stuff really bothers me. Fans can boo their own team, verbally harass them, post hate messages on social media, but the second a fan throws a jersey on the ice players act like their grandmother's grave was just pissed on. These fans invest their time, their money, and their emotions in the team, and many of them can remember a time where getting to watch playoff hockey was not an outrageous expectation. If they want to toss their jersey on the ice to show the team just how disappointed they are, that's their prerogative. My message to guys like Phaneuf, Scrivens, and everyone else in these organizations who are upset is this: If you don't want fans throwing jerseys on the ice, then play better. It's really that simple. Last season Scrivens talked about showing respect for the jersey that has been worn by so many great HOFers, but the performance of the Oilers teams of the last near-decade is what's truly disrespectful to those great teams and players.

I really love the throwing of the jerseys, but it needs to be saved for a time when the team really craps the bed. You can't just toss your jersey on the ice after the first game. I would be thrilled to have a team turn in one of those super lousy efforts towards the end of the season, and have the ice littered with jerseys after the game. I'm glad if it pisses the players off (assuming the jersey is thrown at a reasonable time).

With all the talking heads making it seem like a SCF without Chicago/LA would be shocking (you don't see any other West teams getting serious Cup love)...

The 2011 Canucks in retrospect seem more and more impressive- that team was a monster. I mean, hell, look at the 2nd round that year- Nucks, Preds, Wings, Sharks.

Crazy to think it was just 3 years ago the Blackhawks/Kings were both one and done the same year. Seems like a long time ago.

Way to rub salt in old wounds :(

Archived