The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

It was interesting to learn a few months ago that this notion of Tim Hortons as an indispensable piece of Canadiana is a fairly recent development. It was pretty much just an Ontario/WNY thing for a long time before it expanded to Quebec and western Canada, and even now out west it's not exactly viewed as all that indispensable.

I can't get a read on the quality of their product: Americans who go to Buffalo/Detroit/Columbus locations on visits from un-Hortoned lands always say "WE NEED TIM HORTONS HERE UGH DUNKIN DONUTS SUCKS," but I always see Canadians bitching about the bad coffee and bad sandwiches and stuff. Were they once good and now bad? I'm confused.

Dunkin Donuts is awful, though. I wish they had stayed in New England, the region of this fair country for which you least often hear "you're gonna love the food."

Tim Hortons donuts, best I could tell, were pretty much on a par with Dunkin. Mass-produced, mostly yeast-raised, inoffensive, get the job done. It's probably changed since I went to Toronto in 2006, but I was surprised that I could get a coffee drink there with skim milk - whole or 2% only.

The food, I've been told, is an atrocity, which doesn't surprise me because it looks basically identical to Dunkin's food in the ads. Lee once ate a chicken sandwich from there and uploaded it to YouTube. You could feel his anguish through the screen.

I used to buy Tim Hortons coffee when Amazon had 2-pound bags of beans for $13, and it was a really good utility blend. I'd take it over Starbucks' overpriced, usually over-roasted stuff any day.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, what did the Blue Jackets do to offend the hockey gods?!? I mean, it's SO depressing to watch these games. When you got your starting goalie, your soon to be captain of the team, your best defenseman, and Boone Jenner all injured, it makes it kinda hard to watch them play. On the bright side is that Goaligno is producing better than ever, and that Forsberg is doing pretty well. And on the topic of backup goalies, McElhinney sucks so hard. He's way to aggressive, and not in the good way.

That's what- She

Uh, what did the Blue Jackets do to offend the hockey gods?!? I mean, it's SO depressing to watch these games. When you got your starting goalie, your soon to be captain of the team, your best defenseman, and Boone Jenner all injured, it makes it kinda hard to watch them play. On the bright side is that Goaligno is producing better than ever, and that Forsberg is doing pretty well. And on the topic of backup goalies, McElhinney sucks so hard. He's way too aggressive, and not in the good way.

FTFY

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Calgary routs Montreal, Arizona beats Washington, Buffalo wins a game, and Carolina beats the defending cup champions... This has been a strange night in the NHL to say the least.

Plus 1-0 Winnipeg end of 2 in Chicago.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Calgary routs Montreal, Arizona beats Washington, Buffalo wins a game, and Carolina beats the defending cup champions... This has been a strange night in the NHL to say the least.

Plus 1-0 Winnipeg end of 2 in Chicago.
Pavelec has let in 1 goal in 190 minutes, I think we've officially stumbled into the twilight zone now.

I was initially upset at missing tonight's locally broadcast Blackhawks game. In the end, I think they were doing me a favor.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So with Frederik Andersen already injured, John Gibson got hurt in warm-ups in Colorado. (Even though I was in Denver and on the glass for warmups, I didn't see what happened.) So Jason LaBarbera got the emergency start, but with no one else to be the back-up, Ducks goalie coach DWYANE ROLOSON was called into duty for the emergency back-up role. After letting up one real softy on the first or second shot of the game, LaBarbera was pretty decent, so we didn't have to see it. But Roloson suited up in the NHL again. (Damn it monkey power. I was typing haha)

Also, Cam Fowler had an absolutely filthy dangle on the game-winner. Ducks go 3-1 on a tough road trip, and sit on top of the NHL at 10-3. Fun times.

And the Pepsi Center is a pretty nice rink, if you ever get the chance. Game wasn't a sellout which I thought was surprising. (Avs were good last year, Ducks were good last year and this year, they had some good intense match ups last year, Broncos were out of town and their game ended before this one started.) But a fun night at the rink either way. That jumbotron is ridiculously big, but much more useful than I expected haha. They use the space effectively.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

How the :censored: did the Red Wings not win against Buffalo last night?

Random enforcement of the crease rule. The referee actually told Michal Neuvirth that, if the Red Wings scored later in the game, he was going to wave it off. Wings scored, ref was a man of his word.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/m_gamecenter?id=2014020164

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived