2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

And the PAC-12 South just keeps on getting easier for Arizona State, as both LA teams are in real trouble tonight, to Boston College and a skeleton Texas team. What the hell happened to the USC team that went in and won on the farm last week?

USC probably should've lost to the Cardinal by 20 but Stanford couldn't get out of it's own way when they got into the red zone. UCLA is so overrated. When you barely beat Memphis at home there is something wrong.

They might be, but they lost Hundley relatively early in the game and their offense disappeared after that. The fact that they still won is impressive. I don't think they're Top 10, but they're definitely in the 11-20 range.

Against a skeleton Texas team who were curb stomped the week before. And I'd think a Top 20 team would be able to beat Memphis by more than 7 at home, especially with messiah Brett Hundley at QB. I'm not so sure the Bruins should be ranked right now.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sneaky Gators might have got away with a delay of game, but outlast Wildcats 36-30 in 3OT at The Swamp.

Coach Boom's bum is now on simmer for a day or too.

now watching Fresno State trying to hang in there and compete with Big Red, but compete is a generous word. 27-5 Huskers.

It didn't really look like Florida got away with a delay of game. The officials never blow the whistle immediately when the play clock hits zero. Once the clock hits zero, they have to look down at the ball to make sure it hasn't been snapped yet, which usually results in a slight delay. Wasn't anything unusual. That effort tonight, though... embarrassing.

IUe6Hvh.png

And Vanderbilt might just be the worst team in college football. Down 14-0 against UMass and using a QB who wasn't even on the depth chart the last two weeks :rolleyes:

But...but...they do play in the SEC. That means that they're a powerful and prestigious college football program...

:rolleyes:

Also, if you shank a game-tying fg attempt, we'll hug you to console and/or celebrate.

ViciousHarmfulDassie.gif

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

And Vanderbilt might just be the worst team in college football. Down 14-0 against UMass and using a QB who wasn't even on the depth chart the last two weeks :rolleyes:

But...but...they do play in the SEC. That means that they're a powerful and prestigious college football program...

:rolleyes:

Also, if you shank a game-tying fg attempt, we'll hug you to console and/or celebrate.

ViciousHarmfulDassie.gif

That's really nice of that guy, actually. This GIF makes me happy.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's time to stop talking about the Power 5.

It's the Power 4.

The Big Ten is 1-10 vs. the Power 4 and has three losses vs. the MAC.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Arizona's defensive gameplan: Give up 3rd down conversions left and right. :(

The Cats are gonna survive at least Cody Fajardo(the poor mans Kaepernick) and Nevada.

Also apparently ASU QB Taylor Kelly was on crutches at the end of their game.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I went to the Huskies/Illini game today. It was nice to see the Huskies play like the team expected from Chris Petersen. There was some goofiness with the officials -- the end of the first half had flags on something absurd like 7 out of 9 plays, but UW essentially dominated and Illinois mostly looked like garbage.

The new Husky Stadium is pretty swell.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I went to the Huskies/Illini game today. It was nice to see the Huskies play like the team expected from Chris Petersen. There was some goofiness with the officials -- the end of the first half had flags on something absurd like 7 out of 9 plays, but UW essentially dominated and Illinois mostly looked like garbage.

The new Husky Stadium is pretty swell.

Yeah, that was really bad. I was hoping Illinois would be able to hang with Washington after their two subpar games to start the season, but they were just dominated in the first half. UW could have embarrassed Illinois if they tried in the second half. It's kind of scary that Illinois has a shot at a bowl game this year with how bad the Big Ten is. Wes Lunt has a ton of potential, but he still hasn't put it all together for an entire game. He was under pressure the entire game and never got comfortable. And it's great to see that the "Fire Beckman" crowd is already back in full force.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That was impressive for Washington. They needed a dominate performance after the first two games. Next week is the final tune up before conference play begins, so any issues will need to be ironed out before the 27th.

Now, my two cents on the week:

-This week, like any other week, has shown the one should never count their chickens before they hatch. It just came a little too late for Virginia Tech and USC. Both teams got big boosts in the rankings for big wins the week before and then fall on their faces this week.

-Big Ten... you're drunk. Go home.

-Anyone who thought that South Carolina was toast in the SEC may want to rethink that. The win over rival Georgia is huge for them because it puts the Gamecocks back in the conversation for the East Division.

Leave it to the Wisconsin guy to chuck his own conference under the bus. It's all cyclical. A few years ago the ACC was a colossal joke and then Winston and FSU showed up.

Give it a few years, man. It's not like Big Ten football will be down forever.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's time to stop talking about the Power 5.

It's the Power 4.

The Big Ten is 1-10 vs. the Power 4 and has three losses vs. the MAC.

The Big Ten is probably pound-for-pound just as good as the ACC, except for Florida State.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Leave it to the Wisconsin guy to chuck his own conference under the bus. It's all cyclical. A few years ago the ACC was a colossal joke and then Winston and FSU showed up.

Give it a few years, man. It's not like Big Ten football will be down forever.

I never suggested that this was permanent. That was a commentary on this season. It's awful right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wouldn't call the Big Ten a bad conference. Wisconsin lost to a very good LSU team, Ohio State is without their Heisman-capable quarterback, Michigan lost to a good ND squad, Penn State (and Nebraska, unfortunately) can win games. Purdue hung in there with ND, but Northwestern and Minnesota DO look down. Illinois and Indiana are Illinois and Indiana. Rutgers looks strong as well, but Iowa looks down unless they can start moving the ball. Maryland lost to a great WVU team that gave Alabama a run for their money. And I think Michigan State is still a Top-10 team.

I wouldn't call the Big Ten a bad conference. Wisconsin lost to a very good LSU team, Ohio State is without their Heisman-capable quarterback, Michigan lost to a good ND squad, Penn State (and Nebraska, unfortunately) can win games. Purdue hung in there with ND, but Northwestern and Minnesota DO look down. Illinois and Indiana are Illinois and Indiana. Rutgers looks strong as well, but Iowa looks down unless they can start moving the ball. Maryland lost to a great WVU team that gave Alabama a run for their money. And I think Michigan State is still a Top-10 team.

Michigan is a bad, bad, bad football team. Don't kid yourself. Rice was a more worthy opponent.

Purdue had the "we try once a year" game as always last night that coincided with the "we just played Michigan and you're bad, Purdue" game.

The fact that Braxton Miller is hurt doesn't change the fact that Ohio State contributes to the Big Ten being a bad conference.

I will be very happy if WVU turns out to be a "great" football team.

6fQjS3M.png

Bill O'Brien took Penn State's offense with him when he was driven off. Penn State's not going to win that many games either with as anemic an offense as they have.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And the PAC-12 South just keeps on getting easier for Arizona State, as both LA teams are in real trouble tonight, to Boston College and a skeleton Texas team. What the hell happened to the USC team that went in and won on the farm last week?

USC probably should've lost to the Cardinal by 20 but Stanford couldn't get out of it's own way when they got into the red zone. UCLA is so overrated. When you barely beat Memphis at home there is something wrong.
They might be, but they lost Hundley relatively early in the game and their offense disappeared after that. The fact that they still won is impressive. I don't think they're Top 10, but they're definitely in the 11-20 range.

Against a skeleton Texas team who were curb stomped the week before. And I'd think a Top 20 team would be able to beat Memphis by more than 7 at home, especially with messiah Brett Hundley at QB. I'm not so sure the Bruins should be ranked right now.

This is exactly what's wrong with College Football. Wins should be way more important than how you win. This system doesn't truly allow every team a realistic chance at winning a national title and that's wrong.

And with UCLA, I don't care how they win as long as they win.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived