College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Vols practice court looks updated - video moves very strange so this was best I could get of the full wordmark at the center of the court. I kinda doubt the court at Thompson-Boling looks like that but...

33o3bll.png

It's... uh... different, can't figure out the idea behind the slanting.

Wild guess, but could it be based on the shape of the state of Tennessee? The eastern and western borders are slanted forward similar to that font.

EBja95A.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vols practice court looks updated - video moves very strange so this was best I could get of the full wordmark at the center of the court. I kinda doubt the court at Thompson-Boling looks like that but...

33o3bll.png

Wild guess, but could it be based on the shape of the state of Tennessee? The eastern and western borders are slanted forward similar to that font.
EBja95A.jpg
Why are the middle N and E not slanted at the top left corner like all the others?

when has adidas ever made a custom uniform?

UCLA's black and anthracite jerseys, and the Texas A&M jerseys with the state of Texas on the front, and Nebraska's jerseys with the big N, and Notre Dame's jerseys against Miami (with the 60/40 helmet) and Michigan's M jerseys with the stripes on the shoulders.

The white helmet with the hawk head looks kind of nice. They are, however, the REDhawks.

Well :censored:, people. This man has figured it out. Everyone make sure Stanford wears cardinal, Bama has crimson, Tulane has green, Georgia Tech wears yellow, Middle Tennessee wears blue, Texas Tech wears red, and Southern Miss, Cal, Minnesota, Kent State, and FIU all wear gold helmets. K, guys. Let's get on it. :rolleyes:

I think part of the critique is the hawk on the white helmets was white outlined in red, when they could have used the standard red hawk from their main athletics logo.

None of those Adidas one offs were custom work. They are all tech fit uniforms using templating for design. Slapping new number fonts or swapping numerals for a giant letter or screening on some should stripes is not custom design. Sure the graphics printed on the uniforms were new but that's the equivalent of t shirt design not a custom uniform.

So what's a custom uniform?

I'd argue that a uniform like the tcu pro combats would be custom as they were essentially designed from the ground up specifically for the team. Elements that have not been tried before in a uniform before requiring a new template to be designed execute the look would qualify in my book. Some other examples off the top of my head would be the original creation of the '97 broncos, the current falcons design is a completely unique template. The old rams horn shoulders would definitely be custom. Unfortunately adidas takes a blank tech fit template and just overlays graphics on top of it. Most of the time they just recycle existing logos & fonts.

33o3bll.png

EBja95A.jpg

If that's something close to the finished product, I like it. Pretty unique without being off the wall.

UCLA's black and anthracite jerseys, and the Texas A&M jerseys with the state of Texas on the front, and Nebraska's jerseys with the big N, and Notre Dame's jerseys against Miami (with the 60/40 helmet) and Michigan's M jerseys with the stripes on the shoulders.

The white helmet with the hawk head looks kind of nice. They are, however, the REDhawks.

Well :censored:, people. This man has figured it out. Everyone make sure Stanford wears cardinal, Bama has crimson, Tulane has green, Georgia Tech wears yellow, Middle Tennessee wears blue, Texas Tech wears red, and Southern Miss, Cal, Minnesota, Kent State, and FIU all wear gold helmets. K, guys. Let's get on it. :rolleyes:

I think part of the critique is the hawk on the white helmets was white outlined in red, when they could have used the standard red hawk from their main athletics logo.

None of those Adidas one offs were custom work. They are all tech fit uniforms using templating for design. Slapping new number fonts or swapping numerals for a giant letter or screening on some should stripes is not custom design. Sure the graphics printed on the uniforms were new but that's the equivalent of t shirt design not a custom uniform.

I'd argue that a uniform like the tcu pro combats would be custom as they were essentially designed from the ground up specifically for the team. Elements that have not been tried before in a uniform before requiring a new template to be designed execute the look would qualify in my book. Some other examples off the top of my head would be the original creation of the '97 broncos, the current falcons design is a completely unique template. The old rams horn shoulders would definitely be custom. Unfortunately adidas takes a blank tech fit template and just overlays graphics on top of it. Most of the time they just recycle existing logos & fonts.

That is one overly narrow definition of a custom uniform. Any one off uniform that incorporates certain elements not found on their regular uniforms is a custom uniform to just about anyone. Your definition would also make many of Nike's special uniforms not custom either.

I don't understand this argument for a custom uniform. What does it matter what template it is? The template is simply pieces of stitched together fabric. I'd say a custom uniform is anything that is unique to a specific team. It's very simple. Now, 90% of the teams wear the same templates anyways and the new trend is to create unique fonts and graphics. That's custom.

33o3bll.png

EBja95A.jpg
Why are the middle N and E not slanted at the top left corner like all the others?

Pretty simple. The N's don't have horizontal bars to protrude into the following letters.

Midway.png

33o3bll.png

EBja95A.jpg

Pretty simple. The N's don't have horizontal bars to protrude into the following letters.

The one that seems a bit silly is the second S and how it extends back into the first S at the bottom. However, the first S can't extend because of the E? I'm not sure the bottom of the second S needed to be extended at all. Just keep it the same as the first one.

I'm sure there's some Nike Speak about how the "top" of the letters are formed to look like the state because of the Vols' favorite song, Conway Twitty's "Rocky TOP."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That is one overly narrow definition of a custom uniform. Any one off uniform that incorporates certain elements not found on their regular uniforms is a custom uniform to just about anyone. Your definition would also make many of Nike's special uniforms not custom either.

Well tecnically speaking when it comes pretty close to apparrel that would fit the definition of custom/bespoke. What you're referring to as custom is simply referred to as new.Adidas' version of customizing could be done in a teambuilder app, so I'm pretty sure that's not custom.

I think that's more of a result of a new type of turf than it is a change from the previous color.

Ohio State uses the same turf, and the scarlet endzones looked a lot deeper when it was first installed than it does now. Obviously Syracuse won't get the same fading effect being inside, but the worn effect will eventually lighten the color indoor or outdoor.

Posted on the UniSwag Twitter page a couple days ago surprised this hasnt made its way here yet

CGG75zKW8AI9cA8.jpg

New Michigan design or practice jerseys?

Glad Utah State is keeping it simple with no new chrome helmets or anything like that. Definitely one of the better looks in college!

CGrS4B4WgAEA9CP.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Isn't Michigan switching to Nike? Or is that wishful thinking?

Edit: I guess that's still a few years off. Naturally, Nike and Under Armour will be fighting over them.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

P.S. am I the only one that wishes the NCAA would require TV numbers? Not that they're needed in this day and age, but wow it looks so much better than bare shoulders.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived