College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

Posted on the UniSwag Twitter page a couple days ago surprised this hasnt made its way here yet

djam2410, on 05 Jun 2015 - 23:33, said:

Glad Utah State is keeping it simple with no new chrome helmets or anything like that. Definitely one of the better looks in college!

CGrS4B4WgAEA9CP.jpg

I was at a USU road meeting a week or so ago and heard football head coach Matt Wells say new gray unis were coming. He called them "a little different" and said they'd be of the CFB Playoff cut/template. I don't know if this is it or what those "little" changes are, but I don't expect any major departures or new helmets. My alma mater has, in my mind, shown how to mix-and-match and retain your identity.

Is it me, or is the gray darker?

No! The gray is grayer to accurately reflect the passion of the fan base.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue and white checkered pattern has no Kentucky roots. They are the colors of a Virginia horse farm/Virginia owner. Kentucky trying to own that is a bit lame (pun??) - I think the athletics department just likes that the silks were blue and white and, you know, horses.

What you fail to realize is that Lexington is the horse capital of the world and Kentucky wanted to bring that tradition into their program. Sure, Secretariat (greatest horse ever) is not from Kentucky, but he was buried at Claiborne Farm, located in Paris, Kentucky. The name Secretariat represents greatness and that is exactly what the University of Kentucky represents (it doesn't hurt that his silks were blue & white) and I personally believe it is a nice tie-in to the history of Lexington.

For those that do not know about Lexington and horses, below is some notes about the area:

• Lexington had the honor of being the first city outside of Europe to ever host the World Equestrian Games in 2010. Attendance topped over 500,000.
  • Lexington is home to the 1,200 acre Kentucky Horse Park which attracts almost a 1,000,000 visitors each year.
  • Keeneland Race Course, is arguably the most beautiful race course in the world..it is definitely worth a visit to Lexington.
  • On any given day, you find over 1,000 horses in residence at The Thoroughbred Center where champions of tomorrow are in training.
  • More money changes hand in Lexington than any other city in the world. Keeneland holds the world's largest and most prestigious Thoroughbred auction company where horses are sold for millions of dollars.

spacer.png

The blue and white checkered pattern has no Kentucky roots. They are the colors of a Virginia horse farm/Virginia owner. Kentucky trying to own that is a bit lame (pun??) - I think the athletics department just likes that the silks were blue and white and, you know, horses.

A Kentucky-Born horse just won the triple crown. Right now, there's no excuse for Kentucky not to be rocking polka dots.

vGchWTz.jpg

^^^^^ well now I just want them to use polka dots just think of the possibilities

A Kentucky-Born horse just won the triple crown. Right now, there's no excuse for Kentucky not to be rocking polka dots.

vGchWTz.jpg

AP would finish 6 lengths behind Secretariat! That's like comparing an ant to an elephant.

spacer.png

Man o' War is considered by most to be the greatest race horse ever. And interestingly, Man o' War was from Lexington, Kentucky.

So really, Kentucky is using Secretariat's silks because blue and white.

The real question is how does the University of Kentucky itself tie-in to horse racing? The answer: It doesn't. The checkerboard pattern is shoe-horned at best, and really, pretty terribly done when compared to Tennessee.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Man o' War is considered by most to be the greatest race horse ever. And interestingly, Man o' War was from Lexington, Kentucky.

The real question is how does the University of Kentucky itself tie-in to horse racing? The answer: It doesn't. The checkerboard pattern is shoe-horned at best, and really, pretty terribly done when compared to Tennessee.

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but out of 5 websites searched on Google, Secretariat was #1:

There is no direct link to horse racing other than the school is located in the horse capital of the world. But this was not the first and it will not be the last time Nike tied historical figures into school uniforms that had nothing to do with the school.

spacer.png

Since we are talking about horses...looks like SMU will have a few different helmet options next year. I like them all except the chrome one. Not sure what the logo is on the blue one looks different (nvm its the USA pattern)

CGXRp80UYAE0362.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Posted on the UniSwag Twitter page a couple days ago surprised this hasnt made its way here yet

djam2410, on 05 Jun 2015 - 23:33, said:

Glad Utah State is keeping it simple with no new chrome helmets or anything like that. Definitely one of the better looks in college!

CGrS4B4WgAEA9CP.jpg

I was at a USU road meeting a week or so ago and heard football head coach Matt Wells say new gray unis were coming. He called them "a little different" and said they'd be of the CFB Playoff cut/template. I don't know if this is it or what those "little" changes are, but I don't expect any major departures or new helmets. My alma mater has, in my mind, shown how to mix-and-match and retain your identity.

Is it me, or is the gray darker?

No! The gray is grayer to accurately reflect the passion of the fan base.

very passion. much gray. so Utah

sounds like the uniform design won't change but Utah will be getting the MachSpeed template. i've noticed that "new uniforms" means different things to the board than it does to coaches/schools. that term around here usually says "new design" but to the school it could mean just updating the template. which isn't wrong.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Since we are talking about horses...looks like SMU will have a few different helmet options next year. I like them all except the chrome one. Not sure what the logo is on the blue one looks different (nvm its the USA pattern)

CGXRp80UYAE0362.jpg

Looks like a stars and stripes treatment of the normal mustang logo on the blue helmet.

gYH2mW9.png

vGchWTz.jpg

I think Kentucky should change their name to something horse related. Wildcats is overused.

Seriously how much money are college programs spending on helmets these days? Seems like having at least 3 sets of helmets is becoming the norm. How are some of these smaller D1 programs pulling this off?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but out of 5 websites searched on Google, Secretariat was #1:

There is no direct link to horse racing other than the school is located in the horse capital of the world. But this was not the first and it will not be the last time Nike tied historical figures into school uniforms that had nothing to do with the school.

Yeah I'm not a fan of schools trying to grab imagery or make connections with commerce/industry. Unless there's a longstanding relationship or a school that specifically educates for industry (ag/mining etc.) it's better left for professional sports. Colleges/Universities should be able to develop enough of an internal identity on their own.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=247832

http://www.amazon.com/Man-OWar-Best-Racehorse-Reading/dp/0375831649

http://www.si.com/vault/1992/10/27/127453/then--now-30-years-ago-the-best-i-ever-rode

Man O' War only had one second place finish. The rest of the races he won. Can't say the same about Secretariat.

And again, Man O'War actually has connection to Lexington, whereas the school is currently giving off the "Hey, everyone, we like horses!!! Especially ones that wear blue! Check out our checkerboard pattern that we ripped off!! We're in Lexington, not Louisville...but we have a horse track too!! With real horses!!. So Goooooo Wildcats, and horses!! #horseracingisawesome #horses #Secretariat" vibe.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

vGchWTz.jpg

I think Kentucky should change their name to something horse related. Wildcats is overused.

This is how they got their name: http://www.ukathletics.com/trads/nickname.html

spacer.png

vGchWTz.jpg

This is how they got their name: http://www.ukathletics.com/trads/nickname.html

According to Wikipedia, the most used collegiate nicknames are as follows:

Eagles (76), Tigers (46), Bulldogs (39), Panthers (33), Knights (32), Lions (32), Bears (30), Hawks (28), Cougars (27), Pioneers (28), Warriors (27) and Wildcats (27). This is ignoring adjectives such as purple, black, Nittany, etc...

Wildcats is not currently in use by the ACC among Power 5 conferences, but thanks to KSU, 'Zona, Northwestern and Kentucky, the other 4 big conferences use it.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived