Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

'Anyone in this thread saying that they can't go with "Sockeyes" because it's not the correct plural form seems to forget that this is a league that has a team called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Also, who cares

Totally agree. Furthermore, there is a Junior B team that plays in Richmond, BC(Vancouver suburban city) named the Richmond Sockeyes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Sockeyes

4 hours ago, MEANS said:

They are using Leafs (Maple Leaf Badge worn by soldiers in the Canadian Army during WW I) as a proper noun in their case so it has the regular (productive) plural.

It’s also worth noting that “leafs” was an accepted plural form of “leaf” at the time of the team’s renaming in 1927. 

It’s like “sox,” an anachronistic spelling that’s stuck around. 

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s also worth noting that “leafs” was an accepted plural form of “leaf” at the time of the team’s renaming in 1927. 

It’s like “sox,” an anachronistic spelling that’s stuck around. 

Leafs is still an accepted plural of leaf. 

Sox was more of a newspaper slang used to save space when referring to the two teams in headlines that just kinda stuck rather than a common spelling of socks.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

48 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm down with Steelheads.  Metallic silver or big fail.

Problem there is multiple minor clubs use the name; the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL and Mississauga Steelheads of the OHL, and it'd be another Vegas situation for the latter. Plus the colors on the official NHL Seattle site are decidedly ill-fitting for a team named the Steelheads.

Sockeyes is the obvious choice; it's punable (and thus marketable), simple, fits the established color scheme, rolls well and ties exceptionally well into the PNW, where sockeye are very important fish. Plus silver/gray is used all over in this league; pink is decidedly a unique color for an NHL franchise to use.

Not a fan of Kraken, Totems, or Sockeyes. 

They can do better than that. I still can't stand that Las Vegas is "Vegas Golden Knights" and everyone just calls them VGK. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You think so?

spacer.png

Yeah the colors they chose are more vibrant versions of what we're seeing in this pic. 

Seattle Steelheads...reminds me of that really bad canadian hockey show that had the team "Hamilton Steelheads" or something like that. At least this one could have potential to not be bad. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Not sure if it's been discussed (and don't know who beyond @andrewharrington plays ultimate here...so why would it unless he brought it up?) but there is a Seattle Sockeye club ultimate team. Can only improve upon their choice of branding...

EAK7N8OI_400x400.png

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

5 hours ago, VC// said:

Not a fan of Kraken, Totems, or Sockeyes. 

They can do better than that. I still can't stand that Las Vegas is "Vegas Golden Knights" and everyone just calls them VGK. 

Hopefully VGK rebrands as the Las Vegas Knights in about 10 years. Or, at least, as the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Until then, we can enjoy matchups between Vegas and other great NHL teams like the Angeles Kings, York Rangers & Islanders, Jersey Devils, Bay Lightning, and Erik Karlsson's Jose Sharks. Oh, and the Stanley Cup Champion Louis Blues!

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Pilot's has long been my favorite if it was an option.  Aviation themed to go with the return of the supersonics would be perfect.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

1 hour ago, lilgump said:

Pilot's has long been my favorite if it was an option.  Aviation themed to go with the return of the supersonics would be perfect.

They could gear it toward aviation (even though Boeing corporate left years ago) but wasn't the original for boat pilots?

18 minutes ago, hawk36 said:
1 hour ago, lilgump said:

They could gear it toward aviation (even though Boeing corporate left years ago) but wasn't the original for boat pilots?

The logo invoked both aviation and the nautical, with a combination of wings and a ship's wheel.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 hours ago, GMW79 said:

Hopefully VGK rebrands as the Las Vegas Knights in about 10 years. Or, at least, as the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

Until then, we can enjoy matchups between Vegas and other great NHL teams like the Angeles Kings, York Rangers & Islanders, Jersey Devils, Bay Lightning, and Erik Karlsson's Jose Sharks. Oh, and the Stanley Cup Champion Louis Blues!

Those are some pretty ridiculous comparisons to make. Aside from Jersey, not a single one of the examples you gave is an actual shorthand people use to refer to those places. Las Vegas Knights would have been fine, but legal issues obviously prevented that from being an option, and Las Vegas Golden Knights is too much of a mouthfull.

I think people have naturally dropped using the 'Golden' prefix all the time, much like how it happens with the Trail Blazers, and how it happened with the Supersonics.

14 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If they were to go with Pilots it'd be smart to go for a nautical look. We've already got the Jets & Flyers, plus with rumours of a team ending up in Houston, we could get the Aeros too.

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Those are some pretty ridiculous comparisons to make. Aside from Jersey, not a single one of the examples you gave is an actual shorthand people use to refer to those places. Las Vegas Knights would have been fine, but legal issues obviously prevented that from being an option, and Las Vegas Golden Knights is too much of a mouthfull.

Plus LAK is an abbreviation used for the Kings. LAK vs LVK is a one letter difference, that'd be a bad idea for differentiation purposes while VGK is two letters different from LAK. Better to go with a very distinct three-letter abbreviation for marketing over one that's too similar to another team.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Those are some pretty ridiculous comparisons to make. Aside from Jersey, not a single one of the examples you gave is an actual shorthand people use to refer to those places.

Well aware of that. It was meant to be humorous.

2 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Plus LAK is an abbreviation used for the Kings. LAK vs LVK is a one letter difference, that'd be a bad idea for differentiation purposes while VGK is two letters different from LAK. Better to go with a very distinct three-letter abbreviation for marketing over one that's too similar to another team.

An interesting point, but abbreviations aren't more important than a city's actual name, IMO, and nobody seems to have any issues with NYR and NYI...

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Archived