XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

Is it really any worse than Packers, Browns, or Bills? Some really silly names become normal with time.

The point i think, if those names came to be, is that they’re not traditional; it wont be the NFL. So its fitting their team names would reflect that. No big cats, dogs, birds, etc

• Like 3

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

They have to come up with some kind of name. In 2019, all the "classics" - warriors, tigers, bulldogs - are totally overused. 

I'm sure people laughed at names like Athletics, Packers or Magic when they debuted. 

• Like 2

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, WideRight said:

The rumors and leaks on 2020 XFL team names has begun and if some of these are true it means either MCMahon has lost it and dragged Oliver Luck with him or the entire XFL is designed to be a tax write off. 

Tampa Bay Mystery Ships?

Seattle Subterranean?

Dallas Greats?

Houston Launchers?

This has to be a diversion, right?  The XFL cannot possibly be serious with this.  

Vinnie Mac lost it long ago. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

They have to come up with some kind of name. In 2019, all the "classics" - warriors, tigers, bulldogs - are totally overused. 

I'm sure people laughed at names like Athletics, Packers or Magic when they debuted. 

Two thoughts ... in PRO football -- Bulldogs is one that could used and embraced. I'm actually surprised it's not used. Of course in college and HS that's another story. But, I'd love a Bulldogs name.

I'm sure you're right about Athletics, Packers and Magic. But, it's also hard to compare the three since they all come from different eras and got their nicknames through different methods (nickname from newspapers, sponsor, name-the-team with heavy marketing considering) ... but, now, in today's American sports world we've kind of established what kind of nicknames work for professional sports -- animals (Lions, Tigers, Rams, Hornets, Ravens, etc), regional names (Nationals, Texans, Canadiens, Phillies, Yankees), regional appropriate names (Lakers, Jazz, Oilers, Nuggets, Spurs, Magic, Hurricanes, Canucks), mythical names (Wizards, Titans, Knights), people's nicknames (Redskins, Blackhawks, Celtics). I'm sure I could make that list longer especially considering early 1900 baseball nicknames.

There are other "rules" we've kind of adopted ... singular nicknames are not always the best (Magic, Jazz, Wild), and double name nicknames are pretty ridiculous, especially for top tier professional sports (Mighty Ducks, Golden Knights, Silver Stars, etc). Though those rules are thrown out the window for minor league (especially baseball).

My point being -- if the XFL wants to be taken more seriously I'd avoid minor league sounding names. They can get creative, just don't go overboard IMO.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Two thoughts ... in PRO football -- Bulldogs is one that could used and embraced. I'm actually surprised it's not used. Of course in college and HS that's another story. But, I'd love a Bulldogs name.

I'm sure you're right about Athletics, Packers and Magic. But, it's also hard to compare the three since they all come from different eras and got their nicknames through different methods (nickname from newspapers, sponsor, name-the-team with heavy marketing considering) ... but, now, in today's American sports world we've kind of established what kind of nicknames work for professional sports -- animals (Lions, Tigers, Rams, Hornets, Ravens, etc), regional names (Nationals, Texans, Canadiens, Phillies, Yankees), regional appropriate names (Lakers, Jazz, Oilers, Nuggets, Spurs, Magic, Hurricanes, Canucks), mythical names (Wizards, Titans, Knights), people's nicknames (Redskins, Blackhawks, Celtics). I'm sure I could make that list longer especially considering early 1900 baseball nicknames.

There are other "rules" we've kind of adopted ... singular nicknames are not always the best (Magic, Jazz, Wild), and double name nicknames are pretty ridiculous, especially for top tier professional sports (Mighty Ducks, Golden Knights, Silver Stars, etc). Though those rules are thrown out the window for minor league (especially baseball).

My point being -- if the XFL wants to be taken more seriously I'd avoid minor league sounding names. They can get creative, just don't go overboard IMO.

Isnt a popular complaint about the NFL (or every modern sport) that it’s too serious? Isn’t there a want for fun, bright colored, dancing mascot sports teams?? 

• Like 1

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 3/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, WideRight said:

Tampa Bay Mystery Ships?

On 3/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, Wings said:

Ride captain ride upon your mystery ship

Damn, you beat me to it.

For you youngsters who don't what Wings is talking about . . . 

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 hours ago, pianoknight said:

I would say that while the "classics" are common in HS and in the NCAA, they are amazingly rare in pro sports.  

Bulldogs-- 0 pro teams

Huskies-- 0

Wildcats-- 0

Cougars--0

Mustangs--0

Stallions--0

Trojans--0

Spartans--0

Highlanders--0

Gladiators--0

Stars--1

Knights-- 1 (Golden)

Warriors--1

Sharks--1

Eagles-- 1

Hawks--1

Falcons--1

Lions--1

Tigers--1

I think the XFL would do well to play up the "Nostalgia, Olde Tyme Footballe" theme by pushing not only old-school play style, but also old-school team names that remind people of HS and College rather than trying to be edgy and kewl.  I could see a lot of people getting on board with a retro look to the league and retro names like: 

NY Knights--Washington Warriors--St. Louis Stallions--Tampa Bay Sharks (or Tigersharks)--Dallas Mustangs--Houston Bulldogs--LA Stars--Seattle Cougars

• Like 5

I would lean on nostalgia and local appropriate names ...

New York Bulldogs

D.C. Renegades

St. Louis Stallions

Tampa Bay Bandits

Dallas Outlaws

Houston Avengers

Los Angeles Rhinos

Seattle Sockeyes

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

NY Knights--Washington Warriors--St. Louis Stallions--Tampa Bay Sharks (or Tigersharks)--Dallas Mustangs--Houston Bulldogs--LA Stars--Seattle Cougars

I would much prefer this over what they might give, although I say some more locale could be thrown in. For example changing Seattle to a more common northwest animal or changing Houston to Comets or something to play into the space theme. “Classic” names are always hated for a pro team even though a pro team never use them. Washington Warriors would be a great name for the Redskinds tbh

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, WideRight said:

I would say that while the "classics" are common in HS and in the NCAA, they are amazingly rare in pro sports.  

Stallions--0

I think the XFL would do well to play up the "Nostalgia, Olde Tyme Footballe" theme by pushing not only old-school play style, but also old-school team names that remind people of HS and College rather than trying to be edgy and kewl.  I could see a lot of people getting on board with a retro look to the league and retro names like: 

St. Louis Stallions

The Stallions name is not only already used by a professional sports franchise, it's currently being sported by a team in the other alternative football league.

uuKYcRMm.jpg   

• Like 6

Many of the "classics" sound like they were for teams that were named by a bunch of old white guys back in the 20s - fitting, because at the time, the players were all "all american" white guys that looked straight out of a Rockwell painting.  It's 2019, and it's unlikely that if given the choice, neither the players nor the younger fans would come up with "pioneers" for a team name.  

I shudder at the thought of singular team names, but I also think that a new team in a new league might be better served being with the times and not playing "O6 Dress up" with it's name. 

There's a balance between going with something that has some kind of local significance, and something that's relevant to the younger fans and players.  With any new team, regardless of the league, it's said that it takes a generation to grow your fan base (unless you're a Florida baseball team), so why not go with something that hooks the youngsters?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."