College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

14 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

2000x800_Rebrand_image.jpg

Those are some dang attractive shield logos. I echo that Herons is a very unique moniker and I'm a big fan of this rebrand.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 hours ago, jaha32 said:

Is that old Clarkson logo another one of Phoenix Design Works that is being phased out? It has all the elements and style of their work from the early 2000’s, from the beveling to the go-to font.

I could’ve sworn it was, but it doesn’t appear on Phoenix’s website. I’d assume that it would have been removed after the redesign, but they still have a ton of schools on there who have gotten redesigns in the interim, so I’m guessing they didn’t design it.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 8/16/2019 at 4:38 AM, jaha32 said:

Is that old Clarkson logo another one of Phoenix Design Works that is being phased out? It has all the elements and style of their work from the early 2000’s, from the beveling to the go-to font.

That old Clarkson University Golden Knights athletic mark was, indeed, a Phoenix Design Works creation. It was introduced 16 years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know what this font is? Kansas is using it extensively this year and even has it on the side of football equipment truck and signage in stadium. Making me wonder if they are rebranding soon. The university is moving away from Trajan font with the exception of signage and letterheads. 

On 8/31/2019 at 3:24 PM, LMU said:

Lost to us somehow was that UC Davis had a revamp.

This looks to be the logo that's being emphasized over the horse-in-C logo:

UC_Davis_Secondary_Logo_CA_Mark.jpg

I really like that wishbone CA, but yeesh, the whole athletics brand is a mess.  The A-in-C and the Horse-in-C logos clash badly, and they're using a wordmark as their primary, for christ's sake:

Athletics Logos

• Like 5

On 9/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, bri1275 said:

Anybody know what this font is? Kansas is using it extensively this year and even has it on the side of football equipment truck and signage in stadium. Making me wonder if they are rebranding soon. The university is moving away from Trajan font with the exception of signage and letterheads. 

Very possible it's simply a font being used for social media and print collateral designs. Not an official font to be used on uniforms, official documents, etc. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 hours ago, radchad said:

I really like that wishbone CA, but yeesh, the whole athletics brand is a mess.  The A-in-C and the Horse-in-C logos clash badly, and they're using a wordmark as their primary, for christ's sake:

Athletics Logos

I’m assuming the wishbone C with A was a previous mark? I’m not sure what the thinking is behind the change. Sure, the horse head C wasn’t the greatest, but now your brand is something that has been used by hundreds of teams over the years in various sports. Not a smart move from a branding standpoint.

1 hour ago, Derek said:

I’m assuming the wishbone C with A was a previous mark? I’m not sure what the thinking is behind the change. Sure, the horse head C wasn’t the greatest, but now your brand is something that has been used by hundreds of teams over the years in various sports. Not a smart move from a branding standpoint.

Supposedly the wishbone C+A was the baseball cap logo from 1958-1999:  https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/3/13/football-bringing-back-an-aggie-classic-the-ca-logo.aspx
Image result for uc davis baseball 1998

I dunno.  I agree that wishbone Cs are overused, but IMO the A gives the logo some charm and distinguishes it from the pack.  Perhaps I'm biased though, because I always thought the horse identity was pretty bad.

Side note:  There's also a pretty decent script Davis logo that the football team had been making heavy use of from 2015 up until last season.  I hope they bring it back at some point this season.

Image result for uc davis football script logo

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TLE23 said:

A random thought occurred to me regarding the horse-in-C logo: was the "C" in there intended to be a horseshoe? The shape is sort of unusual for a "C" but I never saw it be recognized as a horseshoe anywhere. Just my opinion.

It's possible that was something the designers had in the back of their minds.

17 minutes ago, dawgfan said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed already/elsewhere, but it looks as though CSU Northridge is breaking in a new logo and wordmark:

spacer.png

spacer.png

However I can't locate any news acknowledging this change/update. Does anyone have any more information about it?

If so, the logo is terrible. It reads as C-SUN*, not CSUN.

* -- Sort of like A-Sun for the Atlantic Sun Conference.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, dawgfan said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed already/elsewhere, but it looks as though CSU Northridge is breaking in a new logo and wordmark:

spacer.png

spacer.png

However I can't locate any news acknowledging this change/update. Does anyone have any more information about it?

Interesting.  Is this replacing or coexisting with the marks from their 2014 rebrand?  It would be a shame if this is an overhaul--the 2014 brand is fantastic IMO.

9784_cal_state_northridge_matadors-primary-2014.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dawgfan said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aesthetics aside, it bothers me that the C is emphasized and not the N. Unless it's the main, central campus (i.e. UNC, tOSU), schools that are part of a statewide university system usually (and, in my opinion, should) emphasize their city in their athletic identities, not the state name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, radchad said:

Interesting.  Is this replacing or coexisting with the marks from their 2014 rebrand?  It would be a shame if this is an overhaul--the 2014 brand is fantastic IMO.

9784_cal_state_northridge_matadors-primary-2014.png

Not 100% sure, but if you go to their website, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook it sure looks like it. It's just kind of weird that I can't find any acknowledgement at the athletics website, university website or in any general news articles of this change.

Here's the only mention of a new logo I could find, mentioned by the baseball coach on some very bad baseball hats. It looks like they started rolling out the new set at least December of 2018. The script was also on some the baseball team's uniforms last season. Script isn't bad, but the monogram is awful. Overall, it's such a huge downgrade from what they had.

• Like 1