Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

It’s not cynicism, it’s whimsy.  Forward Madison has been leaning into whimsy hard since its inception.  

 

Hell, their whole theme is based around a silly absurdist college prank from forty years ago.  But that’s perfect for their hometown. 

 

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

 

This is a team that held "Salute To '80s Wrestling Night" with an appearance by Hacksaw Jim Duggan, and offered ticket packages with autographed 2x4s. This is a team that has made its own custom plastic lawn flamingos, took off the legs and opened up a hole in the bottom, and made it a beverage vessel. Their team captain chugged a beer out of it on the field after a win. Lips right up to the plastic bird butt. They're selling out a third-division team every night. The locals have embraced it, supporters groups are strong, and they're even making road trips. It's a true organic fan culture mixed with top-shelf minor league baseball weirdness, and it really work

 

 

That's good info I didn't know. Thanks. And for that team, "Shiny Object Trophy lol" is a great idea. I get it.

 

I guess I still bristle at putting down the Campeones and Leagues championship trophies. You don't need to mock others to build yourself up -- but opinions may vary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me, they weren’t seriously putting down any other trophies.  They were making fun of themselves.  It’s what they do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should all be putting down the Leagues Cup, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and the Campeones Cup, for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So NOBODY understood the Backyard Soccer reference...that was the name of their equivalent of the World Cup.

spacer.png

The Fancy Pandas (China) would often be a thorn in my side, but I always liked playing against the Cagey Bees (guess)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Backyard Sports reference I ever heard enough to recognize was the one about whichever player was really good in the baseball games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MBurmy said:

So NOBODY understood the Backyard Soccer reference...that was the name of their equivalent of the World Cup.

spacer.png

The Fancy Pandas (China) would often be a thorn in my side, but I always liked playing against the Cagey Bees (guess)

For me, It was the Flying Zeppelins (Germany) and the Dancing Papagayos (Columbia) who gave me fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://frntofficesport.com/mls-bodyarmor-partnership/

Quote

BodyArmor has signed a four-year, multi-million dollar partnership with MLS which will make it the league’s official sports drink partner in the U.S. starting in 2020.

The sports drink brand replaces AdvoCare in the category for MLS, a partnership that had dated back to 2015.

Per the terms of the deal, BodyArmor sports drink will be featured on the sidelines of matches, in locker rooms and at training facilities, with the company’s logo being featured on everything from coolers to cups to towels.

MLS and BodyArmor will also work together on content and marketing integrations, some of which will feature MLS players and BodyArmor athlete partners.

The partnership will see its first activation at the Leagues Cup final in Las Vegas, a new competition between MLS and Liga MX that was launched this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Galaxy moving on from Herbalife would be pretty good too.

 

That sponsorship would have been much more valuable this year with Zlatan, but Galaxy are always in line for a big transfer.

 

Anyone know when that partnership ends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Galaxy moving on from Herbalife would be pretty good too.

 

That sponsorship would have been much more valuable this year with Zlatan, but Galaxy are always in line for a big transfer.

 

Anyone know when that partnership ends?

After the 2022 season, if not extended.

 

Galaxy is getting $4.4M/year from Herbalife

 

RSL kit sponsor, similar supplement MLM company LifeVantage, goes through the 2023 season and pays the club $3M per season.

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Interesting because this is partially owned by Coke, so the 2015 agreement with Coke may have influenced this:

 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/04/13/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/MLS-Coke.aspx

 

Though I see a few teams still have Pepsi deals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Interesting because this is partially owned by Coke, so the 2015 agreement with Coke may have influenced this:

 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/04/13/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/MLS-Coke.aspx

 

Though I see a few teams still have Pepsi deals

Pouring rights are through the stadium and not negotiated by the league but by the municipality who build the venue or team managing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Pouring rights are through the stadium and not negotiated by the league but by the municipality who build the venue or team managing it. 

 

This is why Lambeau (I think it was Lambeau, anyway) served RC Cola for as long as they did despite the league having contracts with Coke and Pepsi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

This is why Lambeau (I think it was Lambeau, anyway) served RC Cola for as long as they did despite the league having contracts with Coke and Pepsi. 

Soldier Field moved to RC and Dr. Pepper in 2012 and still has it through the season.

 

Seahawks had Jones Soda for a few seasons in the mid-00's before Jones lost $25M as a company during the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

 

This is why Lambeau (I think it was Lambeau, anyway) served RC Cola for as long as they did despite the league having contracts with Coke and Pepsi. 

TMK, Lambeau never had a deal with RC Cola. I know the Mets and Lakers/Kings have had RC deals in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barely related but whoever does the beer buying at Gillette Stadium deserves a raise. I went to a Revs game a few weeks back and they had Heady Topper. Caught me in disbelief and made me somewhat regret not bothering going to Foxboro in the previous three years. But this being a Kraft enterprise they may well have had a lackey just buy a couple cases from Vermont and transport illegally across state lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

After the 2022 season, if not extended.

 

Galaxy is getting $4.4M/year from Herbalife

 

RSL kit sponsor, similar supplement MLM company LifeVantage, goes through the 2023 season and pays the club $3M per season.

I would make a comment about how having pyramid schemes be shirt sponsors does no favors for a league trying to be top-tier but then I remember that there are top-level leagues in Europe that boast such eminent sponsors as despotic Middle Eastern regimes and Chinese gambling syndicates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.