New York Jets unveil new uniforms

2 hours ago, baymenxpac said:

that argument is basically why they were what they wear now, but i don't really think of namath when i see the current set. they've built up 20 years of history in the current set, and some of it just as bad as 1-15 (i'm looking at you, butt fumble).

ultimately, i think you may be disappointed, because i do think this is the logo the jets are going (back) to. it's extremely popular. almost everything in retail with this logo on it sells quickly, and FWIW, i do think it's a far superior logo to an variation of the oval.

but we shall see!

Every email I get from the Jets shop features the 80s JETS logo in some form or another. Me personally, I think an update to it would be the best way to go.

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I like it as an alternate, but I don’t think the oval NY is a strong enough logo for a primary, especially considering the logo of the team the Jets share a stadium with.

Totally agree, the NY logo is good, but waaaay too plain to be a primary or the helmet logo. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Too gimmicky for a team representing the most famous city in the country. 

I get that sentiment, and let’s consider the other New York teams and their identities:

Yankees: the NY(’s) and the hat-bat in the roundel. New York is the US’ most iconic city, so it makes sense to emphasize both the city and its place in the US (or the North, if we’re going historical).

Mets: the city IS their identity. It’s in their primary, the name, and the colors. Heck, the baseball Giants would probably do something similar if they survived (the Giant skyscrapers of NYC).

Rangers: the team had the Lady Liberty logo, and uses “US” colors to good effect.

Islanders: royal/orange, acknowledging that the city is near/on an island, and the “NY-stick.” I’m a lighthouse fan, but there’s a way to work an “NY” into the design tastefully. 

Football Giants: the giant “ny” on the helmet does the trick. I’d prefer it if the “n” was a capital letter, but oh well.

Knicks: royal/orange and “New York” on all uniforms.

The Nets, Devils, and former Dodgers are outliers, due to not using the New York identifier (at the moment for the Nets - NY Nets would be a good change for them).

The Jets should do a little something for their namesake, but the oval-NY would be the best primary mark. Again, modernize what the team looked like at their best without the past 20 years of dark-n-fade, poor adaptations to modern jersey templates, and butt fumbles.

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Too gimmicky for a team representing the most famous city in the country. 

Exactly. NY is a much more valuable “thing” to build around than Jets. Everything was fine when both teams had their respective team names on their helmets in the 1980s and 1990s.

In fact, I kind of like them being different colored versions of the same idea; sharing a stadium, sharing branding styles, sharing a working class fan base... it’s the epitome of Seinfeld’s “rooting for laundry” joke.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

34 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Exactly. NY is a much more valuable “thing” to build around than Jets. Everything was fine when both teams had their respective team names on their helmets in the 1980s and 1990s.

In fact, I kind of like them being different colored versions of the same idea; sharing a stadium, sharing branding styles, sharing a working class fan base... it’s the epitome of Seinfeld’s “rooting for laundry” joke.

It's New York... more like a white collar fanbase that pretends to be working class by swilling beer and tailgating 8 times every fall. ;) 

I totally agree with emphasizing New York more than the Jets. There's a reason why all the other "New York" named teams do it, as @SFGiants58 detailed above. Anything else is too gimmicky for a New York fanbase.

17 hours ago, Teal said:

DO we know if the logo will be getting an update as well?

No.

This is literally all we know: the Jets are getting new primary uniforms next year.

072918-new-uniforms-thumb

Anything more than that is speculation.  Colors, logos, style, modern/throwback/hybrid, we have no idea.

The Jets just need to make the color rush unis their new unis. Be the kelly green version of the colts and call it a day. The Dolphins just proved that a simple tweek can make a huge difference. The 80’s Jets logo is totally overrated and would need some major changes to not look dated instantly. 

Agreed. The fascination with the Jets' 1978-97 logo and uniforms is probably a generation longing for the uniforms of its youth. I grew up in that era, but I find that logo and uniforms to be meh.

Well, the current uniforms are the product of the previous generation longing for the uniforms of its youth. But I like them better. Just go to kelly green, keep everything else the same, call it a day. But that won't happen.

8 hours ago, MN Wilkings said:

The Jets just need to make the color rush unis their new unis. Be the kelly green version of the colts and call it a day. The Dolphins just proved that a simple tweek can make a huge difference. The 80’s Jets logo is totally overrated and would need some major changes to not look dated instantly. 

Honestly, this might be the play.

Their look in Kelly Green is Namath.

Their look in the current Green is Butt Fumble.

The green helmet days is New York Sack Exchange early, Kotite late.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I still like the idea of both greens, similar to the Color Rush jerseys but with white sleeves (so they don't look like the Green Colts™). Maybe with a green helmet as well - someone posted a picture of the Namath jerseys with a green helmet and IMO they looked amazing. Mix all the eras into a look that just screams "J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!" to every generation.

ExJworW.png

Eh, this comes up a lot but it really doesn’t bother me.  The Jets have connections in New York, they have at least one retail facility in New York, they participate in charitable events in New York.  Sure, they’re physically located in a suburb that happens to be over the border.  That doesn’t seem to have changed their perspective, though. 

If it is just a minor update and they do keep the current logo and switch to Kelly green, at least I hope they tweak the oval to return to its 1960's football shape. 

This being Nike I wouldn't be shocked if gray is added as an accent color.  

30 minutes ago, mmajeski06 said:

If it is just a minor update and they do keep the current logo and switch to Kelly green, at least I hope they tweak the oval to return to its 1960's football shape. 

This being Nike I wouldn't be shocked if gray is added as an accent color.  

Ditto and ditto. I hope they don't add grey though - green and grey should be the Eagles.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:55 AM, Gothamite said:

No.

This is literally all we know: the Jets are getting new primary uniforms next year.

072918-new-uniforms-thumb

Anything more than that is speculation.  Colors, logos, style, modern/throwback/hybrid, we have no idea.

Thank you.

Jaguars

9 hours ago, mmajeski06 said:

Okay, I'll say it - the Jets are NY in name only - play, practice, and offices are all in NJ. *Runs away* 

If the Pats are a Boston sports team, then the Jest can be considered a New York sports team.  Now if the Giants played in a stadium in, say, Queens or somewhere in NYC while the Jets still played in NJ you could have a case.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, kroywen said:

It's New York... more like a white collar fanbase that pretends to be working class by swilling beer and tailgating 8 times every fall. ;) 

I totally agree with emphasizing New York more than the Jets. There's a reason why all the other "New York" named teams do it, as @SFGiants58 detailed above. Anything else is too gimmicky for a New York fanbase.

Really? Did the New York fanbase scoff when the Giants won two Super Bowls under Bill Parcells because their helmets said GIANTS? How about the Jets? Did the fans not root for the Gastineau et al. group because their helmets had their nickname without their location? You act like no New York team has ever emphasized its nickname on its uniforms - let alone that the Jets themselves did it for 20 seasons, and the Giants for longer than that. I think the fans will be okay with anything that doesn't look like overdesigned Nike garbage.

Archived