New York Jets unveil new uniforms

12 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Right but my feeling is it would have to be something like this (completely different from anything they'd have to date) to work. The trying to be new while still trying to be old doesn't work at all. Got to go full new to make a break from the past. 

jetsstreak.jpg

What they have now looks better.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, monkeypower said:

Upon further review of the Jets jerseys, I am willing to concede to some of @Ice_Cap and et al.'s point about looking like the Roughriders because of the pants (though I am a bit irked as to why my post needed to be responded too, despite said response happening after the original Jets thread was locked, but that's neither here nor there).

Well that was my bad. See, I got the notification that you had replied to me, and it took me to that post. I posted a response, and only noticed the thread was locked after I had made the post. 

Had I known that the thread was locked? I would have made that post in this one. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:28 PM, monkeypower said:

I will still contend the similarities mostly stem from the fact there's only so many ways similar shades of green can look on a football team. 

That’s fine. 

The whole thing, for me, is that the Roughriders similarities were very apparent at first glance, so I made a comment. And I’m not the only one, based on these boards and the internet in general. I’m not the only one who made the comparison. 

Thing is, it was just that. A comparison. Not criticism or a knock against the new Jets unis. It was worth a comment on my end and nothing more. 

Until I saw how unreasonably upset it made some people. And that just struck me as silly.

Someone says a kelly green, white, and black football uniform reminds them of another kelly green, white, and black football uniform and this upsets someone? The notion just seems tragically silly. 

I brought up the Roughriders comparison because it was legitimately one of the first things to pop into my head upon seeing these new Jets unis. That’s all. No need for anyone to get pissy over that. 

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:
On 4/5/2019 at 5:35 PM, NYC Cosmos said:

I will never, ever step into their stadium.

This is silly. I get city/state pride but refusing to go to a football game just because it’s technically in New Jersey is a whole other level of New York arrogance. 

Speaking as an arrogant New Yorker, I can say that that position is not only silly, but it is also entirely backwards.

The fact that a team that is located in New Jersey identifies with New York City is an acknowledgement of the primacy of our great City. Such a policy on the part of a team says that the only thing important about that location is that it is part of the New York City area. (Not "market", please, as there is so much more to New York's greatness than commerce.) New York is the capital of the world, the centre of the universe. Its influence does not stop at its borders.

And this truth was affirmed by the MetroStars when they (having several years earlier shorn themselves of the risible and unwieldy geographical identifier "New York / New Jersey") changed their name to the New York Red Bulls. When they did this, they were about to open a new stadium in Harrison, immediately adjacent to Newark, which is New Jersey's largest city and a fine metropolis in its own right. But the only thing that the team's new owners were interested in was the fact that the team is in the New York City area, connected to the City proper by the (highly underrated) interstate subway system known as the PATH train.

(I should note that I support NYCFC, and strongly dislike the Red Bulls. I absolutely hate the team's corporate nickname. But I have all the respect in the world for the decision on the part of the team's ownership to adopt the correct geographical identifier of New York.)

I would also like to say that I have no patience for the comment "Jersey is Jersey". The great small cities of Hudson County are not at all what we arrogant New Yorkers have in mind when we sneer at Jersey.

I have ridden my bike all over New Jersey, more than once out to my relatives' house in Morris County. Now that is what we mean when we dismiss Jersey and say that Jersey sucks.

But please do not conflate those awful suburban hellscapes with vibrant urban centres such as Jersey City, Hoboken, and Union City. These are places that feel like home to a New Yorker, much moreso than does the eastern Queens nowheresville where I grew up (but fortunately escaped), to say nothing of that benighted wasteland Staten Island.

Finally, I can only wonder whether someone with the Cosmos' name as his screenname grasps the irony of denouncing the Jets for playing in the Meadowlands, as the Cosmos are an historic phenomenon solely on the basis of their play in the Meadowlands. When Mick Jagger and other celebrities were attending Cosmos matches, they weren't so much going to New Jersey as much as they were taking part in New York City's culture.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

This is silly. I get city/state pride but refusing to go to a football game just because it’s technically in New Jersey is a whole other level of New York arrogance. 

I feel like they're just repeating the stuff Ed Koch and other NY politicians were outspoken about during the move. Why would the average fan care this much about it? Most people in the Jersey suburbs work and spend money in NYC anyway. It's all the same.

"The mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, and the governor of New York, Mario Cuomo, are under fire for their lack of interest in the Giants and their possible shot at the Super Bowl. Indeed, both men are more than uninterested: Neither sees any reason why the Giants should be feted in the city or state. No ticker-tape parade for that team, no matter what they win. Both men are dead right."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1986-12-28-8603190599-story.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1014598-new-york-giants-no-longer-exist-no-not-the-baseball-team?m=0

1 minute ago, daveindc said:

Most people in the Jersey suburbs work and spend money in NYC anyway. It's all the same.

Exactly. Say the state lines were such that the Meadowlands were within New York State’s boundaries. No one would care about the Giants and Jets claiming to represent NYC, even if they were technically outside of it. 

That the NJ/NY state line cuts the Meadowlands off from New York State doesn’t matter- it’s all part of the same metro area. 

These uniforms are not anything new except for the black unis. All the elements are either from the old logos or the 80-90s ones so this moving forward junk is just junk. The triangle is just the top of the oldish wordmark. So many things they could have done to actually make a decent splash. Not that I hate this because I love the color and helmet but for anyone to think this is something completely different from the past is lying to themselves 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, gosioux76 said:

I really love the idea of this set. The new green is great, the return to green helmets is welcomed. Yes, the uniforms are a bit plain, but that's also something I welcome. 

I just don't like the logo. This set's screaming to have the old '80s-'90s Jets logo return to the helmet. It seems like such a no-brainer. 

The helmet logo needs to incorporate the triangle that is used in the jersey and pants striping, even if it's just a small representation above or below the wordmark.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Besides, aren't a lot of teams not even technically in the city they play for? The Pistons are in Auburn Hills, the Angels are in Anaheim, and so on. Heck, there is more distance between L.A. and Anaheim than between N.Y.C. and East Rutherford.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

Besides, aren't a lot of teams not even technically in the city they play for? The Pistons are in Auburn Hills, the Angels are in Anaheim, and so on. Heck, there is more distance between L.A. and Anaheim than between N.Y.C. and East Rutherford.

The Pistons are no longer in Auburn Hills, but have been playing at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit since fall of 2017. And the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim do have Anaheim in their formal name.

Or were you joking with those examples?

Actually, the Angels dropped “Anaheim” a couple years back, the very minute that the naming agreement expired and they were legally able to. ;) 

I am of two minds on the NY/NJ thing.  No person who lives on the other side of the Hudson would respond with “New York” when asked where they live.  Not if they thought there was any way the questioner would know the truth.

But sports are different, and I don’t actually much care if the stadium falls on the other side of the border, so long as the team engages with the city and our communities.  The Jets and Giants do that, so they’re good.  The Metrostars and Red Bulls never did, so they’re another story.  First there was the ludicrous and vaguely insulting “New York/New Jersey” moniker.  Then they started eating out on our name without giving a damn about us.  There’s a reason MLS was so desperate for a club that actually represented and engaged New York City, one that didn’t require actual New Yorkers to take the criminally over-rated PATH train. 

But the Jets?  Eh, they’re okay.  Stadium location sucks, but I can’t hold that against them. 

I know we’re veering off topic for a number of posts here, but I think the easiest test for this is to ask if any team would reside in a place without the larger nearby market.

The Pistons would never have played in Auburn Hills without Detroit being nearby. Same thing for the Angels in Anaheim, the Jets and Giants in East Rutherford, and the Bills in Orchard Park, etc., etc., etc...

On 4/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, insert name said:

My thoughts exactly. Many people don’t even remember the mid-90s set the Mets had. It was that forgettable. 

Well, the “New York” cursive script was decent.

spacer.png

Stick its “N” on the 1987 design, and you’d have a perfect design for the Mets on the road!

7LmVXXx.jpg

I still like the Tuscan/Tiffany “New York” more.

1 hour ago, nickp91 said:

The Jets new uniforms look like they came straight from arena football

Phenom Elite is making their uniforms this year. This will be exceedingly tame by Arena League standards.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived