Little Things that Bug You in Sports Uniforms

I can't imagine this isn't already a thread, but I figured I may as well get this started up. This is a place you can post little things in sports uniforms that rub you the wrong way. Not major design choices, not new logos, just little things only the real jersey nuts care about.

I'll start.

Image result for islanders 2019

Ever since the Adidas takeover, the Isles' helmet numbers haven't had the outline their jersey numbers have, and it bugs me every time I see it.

Do you guys have anything like this or am I crazy?

• Like 4

Not an issue with a uniform per se, but the words "blue jays" in Toronto's wordmark have the team's signature inline, but the word "Toronto" does not. Overall, the team has a perfect branding package, so I'm sure there's a reason for it, but until I know what that reason is, it will bug me.

• Like 2

Broad pet peeve. Colors that don't exactly match up on ones uniform. It could be a helmets color with the 'same' colored numbers. Or even shoes that should be red but are more cherry red that varsity red. Same goes with undershirts. Lots of smaller colleges mess this up frequently. 

I've gotten used to the cowboys different shades of blue. 

This can also go towards helmets that shimmer too bright mismatching it's color for a particularly timed game. 

But that may be too broad lol 

-------

More specific. Never liked the upside down M for the twins wordmark. 

spacer.png

I always see the M that I absolutely love as a cap logo. I can't unsee the ugly W. 

The numbers on the Cubs' batting helmets used to be in the same font they use for the jersey numbers.  At some point in this decade, though, they changed the helmet numbers to the Red Sox font for some reason.

• Like 7

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

pi-josh-hader-milwaukee-brewers.vadapt.7

The yellow splotch in the middle of the wordmark on the Milwaukee Brewers' blues.  There has to be a better way of addressing when the buttoned jersey opens up.  Switch to pullover?  Make that yellow part blue?  Anything but the status quo.

• Like 15

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

13 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

The pants having a gap in between the stripes but the jerseys and helmet not having a gap bugs the ever-living hell out of me. 

I personally hate when any team has a gap in striping like that, even if its consistent throughout the uniform. Even when traditional, like the Packers:

2102507126_18_13_2500.jpg

I would prefer the white and yellow touch.

• Like 3

The center "stripes" of the Carolina Panthers helmet have never set right with me. There are no elements of those weird stripes anywhere else on the jersey through the course of the team's uniform history....and the fact that both "swipes" come so close to the main helmet decal near the back really irk me.

spacer.png

...and the 2 navy blue "spikes" on the old Titans helmet always bugged me as well...again...the spikes were nowhere else in the uniform.

spacer.png

• Like 6

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The Browns are a mess right now, but I do really like the color rush aside from one small detail. The "Browns" wordmark on the front should have been tweaked to match the new font. I never liked that serif font and now it doesn't match the wordmark on the front bumper. Even though these were designed prior to the Nike disaster, it shouldn't be hard to update.

68511427-16b9-4531-928d-0cd3a10d7c05-USA

• Like 5

I mean I hate the Cowboys in general, but the different shades of silver for the pants depending on home/road looks like garbage.

• Like 18

mainescarf.png

I'm biased, but Nebraska has a great, timeless look.

But the numbers of the back of the helmet don't match the jersey numbers.  The helmet uses a rounded font, while the jerseys use traditional block numbers.  I'd actually be okay with the rounded numbers on the jersey, but please just make them match.

0039053-ymld-1280x720.jpg

• Like 3

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

Gray Face mask.

👊 fight me! 

Also...single helmet stripe...but double stripes on the rest of the uniform.

• Like 8

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The New York Islanders really bother me, because of their socks and pants inconsistency. I really love the jerseys pattern, but the socks, especially on the home, don’t quite fit the pattern. And on top of that, the breezers have a pattern that doesn’t match anything... I mean I get that the socks carry over from the first edge set, and the pants are from the dynasty, but it looks awful all together... The first navy set got it right

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

the black outlines on the Chiefs logo, even though black is present nowhere else in the uniform or color scheme. 

I agree there.  From the neck-down the Chiefs are perfect.  I understand why they have black on the helmet (i.e., I have my doubts about how the logo would show up with only red/white/yellow), but I at least wish there was some yellow, too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Things I don't like that most fans would probably not think twice about:

• The yellow stripe on the white Vikings jersey is barely visible.  While I disagree with the notion that yellow cannot touch white, I don't think yellow can touch only white.
  • The Wild outlining the number on back of the home jersey but not the sleeves.
  •  Almost every "little" thing about the Brewers, which turns them into one giant crapfest.
  • The number of times the "Halo-A" ends up on the Angels' uniforms.  Hat, wordmark, left sleeve, right sleeve. I think I'd be OK if it wasn't on the right sleeve.  I won't be surprised if the names on back start getting halos on the "A's"
  • The inconsistency between the hem stripe (gap between blue and yellow) and yoke stripe (no gap) for the Blues.  It's one of the best examples of "no big thing but SO unnecessary" there is.
    • I also think the white numbers are a huge downgrade from the pre-edge era yellow numbers.  But that might be too big of a detail for this thread.
  • The seven stars on the Sixers jerseys, leaving it asymmetrical.
  • Like 8

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)