Little Things that Bug You in Sports Uniforms

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

Baseball teams that for whatever reason have to have their cap logo as a sleeve patch.  The most egregious ones are the Dodgers and the White Sox road.  The addition of and change to those lessened the look for me.  Also included are the Padres, Giants, Angels, etc.  

NFL has the Patriots, Falcons, Navy Cowboys, and Panthers, to name a few.  I hate the redundancy angle. Good call. There are so many secondary logos and patches team can use. 

It's why I appreciate the Eagles, old Titans, and Ravens to name a few who use a different shoulder patch/logo than what is on their helmet. Baseball is a tad more obvious

• Like 5

Here’s a topical one: The Sun Life ad on the Raptors jersey is horrific. Looks like the patch was glued on, and the sponsor’s logo looks like it was designed by a five year old. Awful.

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Even though I've liked it in a few instances (such as the 2003-2006 Spring Training/BP jerseys), i'd like to see the Giants ditch the gold drop shadows on their home uniforms. The gold made some sense as a fancy thing to do for their first season at Oracle Park back in 2000, but now it just seems kind of pointless. Getting rid of the gold would also bring the current home creams closer to the 1960's uniforms (seen below) they were modeled after. Moving on from the gold would also clean up the road grays. However, I wouldn't mind it if the gold stuck around on the "Orange Friday" jerseys.

spacer.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tp49 said:

I'll also add teams that have their city name on the home uniform (Rangers and Marlins.) I would prefer to see "Rangers" and "Marlins" instead of "Texas" and "Miami" when those teams are home.  Looks minor league to me.

It actually looks more collegiate to me, but I see where you're getting at.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Color mismatch with wordmarks and numbers on jerseys. It's a serious eye sore at times.

White outlining Yellow numbers and wordmarks really bug me too. Especially on small size lettering. I think it makes it illegible and messy. For example, the current Pacer's jerseys.

I don't know if I've ever been bothered by a facemask. Even when it's the "wrong" color it just doesn't matter all that much to me. Gray works if it's in the scheme or on a traditional look. White or a team color works in most instances. It's a matter of preference moreso than egregious wrongdoing IMO. And if I was doing a re-design or a tweak of a team's look, it'd be my last priority along with other equipment and under-clothes.

And I have to agree strongly with the sentiment regarding football striping being discussed. It looks cheap and dated when a team includes space between stripes, like the Packers do and like the Browns used to (up to the redesign, the touching stripes are far superior to the below). However, as long as you're consistent about it, I'll live with it.

Brian-Sipe-5a09cc8c22fa3a0036695115.jpg

• Like 1

Dodgers not having the white outline on their road uniforms like they used to

spacer.png

Coastal Carolina having one font for the wordmark and another font for the number.  I would love the numbers in the wordmark font

spacer.png

CCU has different number fonts for different football unis

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

spacer.png

Coastal Carolina having one font for the wordmark and another font for the number.  I would love the numbers in the wordmark font

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Different fonts are sometimes a good thing. Here it's probably better to match numbers to the font but at other times it looks bad.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There’s no reason to have two different fonts across uniforms that are considered the same set.

That’s similar to a gripe I have with smaller schools that can’t afford to buy multiple uniforms at one time, too. You’ll see a team upgrade their home uniforms to Nike’s Vapor Untouchable template, for example, but the road or alternate will remain an older template until they can afford to buy the new template. I understand such is life for teams that don’t have lucrative apparel deals and simply purchase their uniforms from the Nike catalog, but it still bugs me.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent point about the Dodgers. The white outline on the road is essential. And I think that this means that they have to have "Dodgers" and not "Los Angeles" on the road jersey, as the lettering in the longer wordmark of the city name probably couldn't take the white outline.

I also agree about the inappropriateness of two different number fonts on a team's two uniforms.  Unfortunately, the New York Streets, the new team in the NAL, have this as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

9953d1cf7ccb40f8a8aff6b37e2ea2b5.500.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

spacer.png

I’ll never understand the love for these white outlines.  I wish the Yankees would ditch theirs as well.  To each his own.

• Like 11

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

14 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I’ll never understand the love for these white outlines.  I wish the Yankees would ditch theirs as well.  To each his own.

I am not passionate either way, but I always thought the white outline complimented the white LA mark on the hat.  Otherwise, it is a tiny splash of white on a sea of gray/blue/red.

39316f_med.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Blue on grey looks flat and boring to me.  The white outlines give it an extra pop.

14 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I’ll never understand the love for these white outlines.  I wish the Yankees would ditch theirs as well.

Before the addition of the white outline, the Yankees looked like they were wearing wet paper bags.

51D+HSMdbjL._SY445_.jpg?w=250

The white outline and the sleeve stripes made that uniform appear much sharper.

Nettles.png

And the same goes for the Dodgers.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 5/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Huh? Please explain, I'm not seeing what you're saying.

Also... @Gothamite once pointed out a weird issue with the Mets wordmark that I still occasionally wake up in a cold sweat over even to this day. It's downright haunting when you realize it.

4h1ha2q30gj0it2o53fda9sej.gif

The logo has the writing like this too, but the away jersey has Toronto with the inline.

And what's @Gothamite's Mets wordmark issue. I want to be ruined too!

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

Meh, the Dodgers and Yankees both look better without white outlines.

In a similar vein to @Gothamite's observation about the Mets, the Rangers' "T" logo (minus drop shadow) is asymmetrical. 

xtmw8n16nfe5ewcc87hen8tec.png

Look at the lower right half of the "T" compared to the left top bar. The drop shadow does distract from it.

• Like 5

On 6/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, AndrewMLind said:

There’s no reason to have two different fonts across uniforms that are considered the same set.

That’s similar to a gripe I have with smaller schools that can’t afford to buy multiple uniforms at one time, too. You’ll see a team upgrade their home uniforms to Nike’s Vapor Untouchable template, for example, but the road or alternate will remain an older template until they can afford to buy the new template. I understand such is life for teams that don’t have lucrative apparel deals and simply purchase their uniforms from the Nike catalog, but it still bugs me.

It doesn't bother me, because theoretically, they should NEVER be seen together. Complete non-issue imo.. it's much more important that the pieces that are worn together match nicely than ones that don't even get worn the same weeks