Little Things that Bug You in Sports Uniforms

On 7/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, MCM0313 said:

That's a Padres shirt. I thought the bizarre 09 was only worn with the Marlins. Not doubting its authenticity. It's just so odd that it was ever allowed to be worn with one team, let alone two.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, Hat Boy said:

I didn't know there was a 0 or a 00 in baseball.  That is still not baseball's craziest uni number:

s-l300.jpg

If I remember the story correctly, Benito Santiago switched from 9 to 09 because the center strap on his catchers' gear blocked/ran down the middle of the number when he wore 9.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 5/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I can't imagine this isn't already a thread, but I figured I may as well get this started up. This is a place you can post little things in sports uniforms that rub you the wrong way. Not major design choices, not new logos, just little things only the real jersey nuts care about.

I'll start.

Image result for islanders 2019

Ever since the Adidas takeover, the Isles' helmet numbers haven't had the outline their jersey numbers have, and it bugs me every time I see it.

Do you guys have anything like this or am I crazy?

Speaking of the Adidas Jerseys. What IRKS the hell out of me are the Teams that have Ties.  On a V Neck Jersey the Ties look aesthetically pleasing to the Eyes but Ties on a Round Collar just looks stupid and serve no purpose

Something I didn't notice till someone here pointed it out and now it bothers me every time I look at my Reebok Rangers jerseys. The font is way too vertical and, it could be my mind playing tricks, but it looked off-centered.

Did Adidas fix this because it looks more normal now than before? Either way, Adidas also has the red pentagon on the collar which bothers the hell out of me. It sticks out like the sore thumb on the home jerseys. 

XM4KeeA.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 4:57 PM, leopard88 said:

If I remember the story correctly, Benito Santiago switched from 9 to 09 because the center strap on his catchers' gear blocked/ran down the middle of the number when he wore 9.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, MCM0313 said:

That's a Padres shirt. I thought the bizarre 09 was only worn with the Marlins. Not doubting its authenticity. It's just so odd that it was ever allowed to be worn with one team, let alone two.

Santiago wore the 09 from 1991-1994 so that's two seasons with the Padres and two with the Marlins. Here's a video clip of him confirming his reason last summer. He says the center strap sometimes made the 9 look like an 8. So it's not just having a 9 with a vertical line through it but it at times looked like a different number altogether.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I know that we're never going back to no names in the other sports. But the tradition lives on to some small extent in baseball, thanks mainly to the Yankees, and also to the Giants and Red Sox.

And of course the Cubs have no business wearing names at home.

MadduxGreg-Cubs.jpg

The Cubs tried going back to that back in 2005 (ironically enough, this was during Maddux's second stint in the North Side).  The nameless pinstripes only lasted two years IIRC.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I don't know if this really counts, but it seems like they don't really sell San Francisco Giants jerseys with a number but no NOB unless you buy the full authentic on- field version. The replicas they sell come with NOB despite the fact that the team doesn't have them. 

I often see Yankee jerseys with NOB.   I think fans just like NOBs and they're a better seller.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, Chromatic said:

I don't know if this really counts, but it seems like they don't really sell San Francisco Giants jerseys with a number but no NOB unless you buy the full authentic on- field version. The replicas they sell come with NOB despite the fact that the team doesn't have them. 

18 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I often see Yankee jerseys with NOB.   I think fans just like NOBs and they're a better seller.

They don't, and those replicas that do were done by a third party. It's a way to push fans to buy authentics. Same reason that replicas don't have sleeve patches. 

Want to buy the exact match, better pony up for the authentics. 

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I find it mildly interesting that the Giants have started using NOB home cream jerseys for purposes such as ceremonies, reunions and celebrity appearances at the park. I wouldn't be completely opposed to the idea of them going back to NOB for the home uniforms at some point; I always thought the 1994-1999 home jerseys were nice in that regard.

BNG-L-GIANTS-0930-33.jpg?w=810

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I like the two stripes on the 49ers jerseys. It's a better fit for how modern players wear their sleeves and there's some synergy with the helmet and pant stripes.

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Gonna revive this thread and post the Ducks' Reverse Retro jerseys. I hate that they have green socks for a white jersey.

ZAQBK5L.png

Accidental homage to D2?

638b414efb8a1b1481f236ad82377baa.jpg04d77a691657cd7b34d34febec43809e.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Gonna revive this thread and post the Ducks' Reverse Retro jerseys. I hate that they have green socks for a white jersey.

ZAQBK5L.png

8 hours ago, Sport said:

Accidental homage to D2?

Well, that's not for certain yet. The Ducks have yet to put out anything about what the Reverse Retro getup looks like, besides the jersey.

The dark socks, and the pants for the matter, come from NHL 21 and we all know EA's uniform track record with uniforms.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Well, that's not for certain yet. The Ducks have yet to put out anything about what the Reverse Retro getup looks like, besides the jersey.

The dark socks, and the pants for the matter, come from NHL 21 and we all know EA's uniform track record with uniforms.

EA have been surprisingly spot on so far with the RR jerseys. I'm really hoping this one is just a mistake. Dark socks would look awful with white jerseys and helmets