BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Let's get this straight here:

 

Matte

WVU-Football-Helmet-Front-Logo.jpg

 

Satin

usa_today_9647493.0.jpg

 

Chrome

796850.0.jpg

 

Metallic

new-orleans-saints-football-helmet-durin

 

Metallic w/ Heavy Gloss Finish

Jets_1024x.jpg?v=1588968520

 

Standard Gloss

Ravens_1024x.jpg?v=1574214098

Yes, those are sort of the basic terms WE use, but not necessarily their "official" names..

In order, Riddell would classify the finishes as follows:

 

Flat

Anodized

Chrome

Metallic

Lightning

*Impregnated (as previously pointed out, this is actually another example of metallic, but the Steelers are an example of impregnated shell color - "High Gloss" would be the other alternative that we would view as "standard gloss")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 The only NFL team that uses a standard finish is the Steelers. 

 

Is this true? What do the Packers have? Or the Bengals? I feel like I'm bad at telling between some of the finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

 

Is this true? What do the Packers have? Or the Bengals? I feel like I'm bad at telling between some of the finishes.

 

I don't know exactly where it falls (I'm also bad at telling the difference) but the Packers helmets do have some metallic.

 

GettyImages-861646130.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

 

Is this true? What do the Packers have? Or the Bengals? I feel like I'm bad at telling between some of the finishes.

 

Yea as See Red said, the Packers have a metallic finish (I think they introduced it in the 2000s)...and the Bengals might be standard...but with an extra clear gloss coat...idk have to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The only NFL team that uses a standard finish is the Steelers. 

I don't doubt this statement, I just didn't expect it.. surprising that one of the white helmet teams doesn't use a standard shell.. or maybe the bears.. jaguars.. Texans..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't doubt this statement, I just didn't expect it.. surprising that one of the white helmet teams doesn't use a standard shell.. or maybe the bears.. jaguars.. Texans..?

 

I think the steelers actually do something to dull the finish of their helmets or it's injected black not sure? I also thought the bears also used injected navy but I believe someone corrected me saying it was painted navy. Would be nice to get a full nfl list again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steelers are injected and I think the Bears are too? The Steelers look duller because they don’t buff and polish them weekly. What about the Colts? I think those are a molded white shell.

 

Im gonna miss the Falcons glossy helmets. I love that look on the Jaguars as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

*Impregnated

 

I've known for years that's an official term for that type of helmet finish, and it still always catches me off guard when brought up in conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDGP said:

 

I've known for years that's an official term for that type of helmet finish, and it still always catches me off guard when brought up in conversation.

Yeah.. I guess it kinda has a double meaning..? At least in my mind... 

First, the way the color is put into the raw plastic material (before the molding process, as opposed to painting after),

And second, injecting the melted plastic into the molds to get a helmet that doesn't require further coloring..

🤷‍♂️ I guess..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Yea as See Red said, the Packers have a metallic finish (I think they introduced it in the 2000s)...and the Bengals might be standard...but with an extra clear gloss coat...idk have to check.


I think the Bengals actually wear black helmets that are taped off with the stripes and then painted orange. Similar to what Michigan does. 
 

It could be the other way around (orange helmet painted black), but I would imagine black is probably an easier/cheaper color to make the shell out of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:


I think the Bengals actually wear black helmets that are taped off with the stripes and then painted orange. Similar to what Michigan does. 
 

It could be the other way around (orange helmet painted black), but I would imagine black is probably an easier/cheaper color to make the shell out of.

I think you're correct, but I think it's a black helmet that gets painted black first, then painted orange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:


I think the Bengals actually wear black helmets that are taped off with the stripes and then painted orange. Similar to what Michigan does. 
 

It could be the other way around (orange helmet painted black), but I would imagine black is probably an easier/cheaper color to make the shell out of.

 

Interesting. If you zoom on this, you can actually see the orange overspray in the nooks and crannies of the Speedflex. 

 

GettyImages-856297472.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

I think the steelers actually do something to dull the finish of their helmets or it's injected black not sure? I also thought the bears also used injected navy but I believe someone corrected me saying it was painted navy. Would be nice to get a full nfl list again.

What is injected navy? Just comes out of the tool with the colorant? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

What is injected navy? Just comes out of the tool with the colorant? 

 

Polycarbonate shells for a very long period of time (circa late 70's to mid 90's) came in standard color palettes. I am not a molded plastics expert but they basically put a dye in with the liquid poly to color it before it gets molded and hardens. I'm guessing this was sold as a feature as a low maintenance non chipping feature over painted shells. In the mid-late 90's metallic flake started to be sold as a premium finish by riddell and schutt and the trend shifted back to painted shells. This is technology is also the reason for the robin egg blue broncos helmet and the reason why the giants and rams opted for navy shells while wearing royal dark jerseys.

 

EDIT: Forgot to add that there are better experts here to give a full explanation so consider this statement a fair generalization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, See Red said:

 

I don't know exactly where it falls (I'm also bad at telling the difference) but the Packers helmets do have some metallic.

 

GettyImages-861646130.jpg

I'd say technically gloss with small amount of gold fleck.  Not sure there's a name for it.

The first year they had it, I wanna say 1999, I thought it just rained every game. I've never been accused of being smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, guest23 said:

 

Polycarbonate shells for a very long period of time (circa late 70's to mid 90's) came in standard color palettes. I am not a molded plastics expert but they basically put a dye in with the liquid poly to color it before it gets molded and hardens. I'm guessing this was sold as a feature as a low maintenance non chipping feature over painted shells. In the mid-late 90's metallic flake started to be sold as a premium finish by riddell and schutt and the trend shifted back to painted shells. This is technology is also the reason for the robin egg blue broncos helmet and the reason why the giants and rams opted for navy shells while wearing royal dark jerseys.

 

EDIT: Forgot to add that there are better experts here to give a full explanation so consider this statement a fair generalization.

gotcha. so they just put the colorant into the resin as they shoot the mold. It comes out as a fully blue (for example) piece of plastic so that you don't have the layer chipping that you'd otherwise have with painted shells.  totally explains the difference in color in the Giants and Rams uniforms. Really tough to match resin colorant with fabric with paper color chips with pastic color chips to paint chips...and it just causes a cluster...I deal with this in my work and it's a pain every day...but helps with the chipping if that's a concern. I recall as a kid thinking the Bears' helmets were black and jerseys were blue. 

 

So I assume high schools just pick from a catalog of resin shell colors for the most part? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, L10nheart404 said:

It's not the negativity I'm responding to...but on a site where details are King, it's annoying to keep seeing people describe a satin helmet as matte; or to see people say " that uniform has way too much going on", when it's in fact, only two design elements, other than the number font itself. The uniforms are actually pretty minimalistic, is the point I'm trying to make. Don't have a care who likes them lol

 

I think that's what I don't like:  too much in some places, not enough in others.  Minimalist design where the main elements are nontraditional and seem jarring.  Wordmark on the front and little on the sleeves is a different balance that we're not used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chakfu said:

Wordmark on the front and little on the sleeves is a different balance that we're not used to.

I think this what it all comes down to; people aren't used to seeing these design elements. I just have a hard time seeing people really advocating for the old jerseys... The new ones are so much cleaner and better. I think the balance works ff_2872961alt1_full.jpg&w=900ff_3689243-8443626099f183a35eb7alt1_full

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The steelers are duller than others because they don’t paint their shells like others, they also do not polish their helmets like other teams unless there is sever damage over the course of the season so you will see smudges and scrapes over the course of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

Polycarbonate shells for a very long period of time (circa late 70's to mid 90's) came in standard color palettes. I am not a molded plastics expert but they basically put a dye in with the liquid poly to color it before it gets molded and hardens. I'm guessing this was sold as a feature as a low maintenance non chipping feature over painted shells. In the mid-late 90's metallic flake started to be sold as a premium finish by riddell and schutt and the trend shifted back to painted shells. This is technology is also the reason for the robin egg blue broncos helmet and the reason why the giants and rams opted for navy shells while wearing royal dark jerseys.

 

EDIT: Forgot to add that there are better experts here to give a full explanation so consider this statement a fair generalization.

 

Non-metallic royal blue shells started in 1990 with Kansas, and then Ohio Glory of the WLAF in 1992, and Duke wore them in 1994. 

 

The Broncos, Giants, and Rams could have made the change in the early 90s but chose not to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.