Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

19 hours ago, See Red said:

I don't know exactly where it falls (I'm also bad at telling the difference) but the Packers helmets do have some metallic.

GettyImages-861646130.jpg

Clear evidence of a Detroit Lions defensive player using illegal hands to the face in this photo...throw the flag, ref!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2020 at 11:15 PM, guest23 said:

I said nearly every element. Judge for yourself.

spacer.png

Look at those glossy black helmets! They look good! Why didn’t the Falcons cop THAT element of the uniform?

12 hours ago, tjs11 said:

gotcha. so they just put the colorant into the resin as they shoot the mold. It comes out as a fully blue (for example) piece of plastic so that you don't have the layer chipping that you'd otherwise have with painted shells.  totally explains the difference in color in the Giants and Rams uniforms. Really tough to match resin colorant with fabric with paper color chips with pastic color chips to paint chips...and it just causes a cluster...I deal with this in my work and it's a pain every day...but helps with the chipping if that's a concern. I recall as a kid thinking the Bears' helmets were black and jerseys were blue. 

So I assume high schools just pick from a catalog of resin shell colors for the most part? 

So, basically raw plastic is either clear or milky-white pellets.. they are mixed with a colorant (either a liquid or in concentrated pellets - often the pellets, as they can be used with all the plastic-weighing and dispensing machinery) generally before being melted into the liquid colored plastic that is to be injected into the molds.. then the helmets are molded with solid colored plastic (white, light grey, black, scarlet, cardinal, maroon, orange, yellow-gold, kelly green, forest green, royal, navy, and purple).. if a team opts to use one of these colors, paint is not necessary, although it is also an option.. 

For example, we wear standard "light grey" helmets, but we use the standard light grey paint, because it's a closer match to our standard light grey facemasks and our light grey pants (a shade darker than the light grey molded shells).. but we purchase the light grey shells to minimize any appearance of chipping and help make the color match easier.. for example, the KC Chiefs paint their shells, but I'd assume they use a standard scarlet shell beneath the paint (there's no upcharge for colored shells vs white, only a small upcharge for special paints and finishes)..

Also, it's important to know that finishes can be achieved without the use of additional paints.. for example, it's possible for a team like the Packers to use a standard yellow-gold helmet, and simply have it coated with a glossy clear-coat that contains the metallic glitter flakes (although I'm pretty sure this isn't how they do it, they actually do paint it with metallic paint on top of the yellow shells, just giving an example of what a team could do)..

Another interesting concept is how various manufacturers achieve their finishes.. for a matte finish, Riddell simply uses matte paint, but Schutt uses standard paint with a matte clear coat.. same result, different method..

As for the Jets example.. I think their finish is the result of metallic paint coated with multiple layers of glossy clear-coat that are tinted from darker to completely clear.. tinting clear-coats is a great way to add depth of color and achieve certain "color-shifting" looks.. this would explain why it so rarely achieves a "uniform" look in terms of a single color.. 

Needless to say, I've had several in-depth conversations with our helmet reps and satisfied much of my curiosity around the topic of helmet colors and finishes..

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

So, basically raw plastic is either clear or milky-white pellets.. they are mixed with a colorant (either a liquid or in concentrated pellets - often the pellets, as they can be used with all the plastic-weighing and dispensing machinery) generally before being melted into the liquid colored plastic that is to be injected into the molds.. then the helmets are molded with solid colored plastic (white, light grey, black, scarlet, cardinal, maroon, orange, yellow-gold, kelly green, forest green, royal, navy, and purple).. if a team opts to use one of these colors, paint is not necessary, although it is also an option.. 

For example, we wear standard "light grey" helmets, but we use the standard light grey paint, because it's a closer match to our standard light grey facemasks and our light grey pants (a shade darker than the light grey molded shells).. but we purchase the light grey shells to minimize any appearance of chipping and help make the color match easier.. for example, the KC Chiefs paint their shells, but I'd assume they use a standard scarlet shell beneath the paint (there's no upcharge for colored shells vs white, only a small upcharge for special paints and finishes)..

Also, it's important to know that finishes can be achieved without the use of additional paints.. for example, it's possible for a team like the Packers to use a standard yellow-gold helmet, and simply have it coated with a glossy clear-coat that contains the metallic glitter flakes (although I'm pretty sure this isn't how they do it, they actually do paint it with metallic paint on top of the yellow shells, just giving an example of what a team could do)..

Another interesting concept is how various manufacturers achieve their finishes.. for a matte finish, Riddell simply uses matte paint, but Schutt uses standard paint with a matte clear coat.. same result, different method..

As for the Jets example.. I think their finish is the result of metallic paint coated with multiple layers of glossy clear-coat that are tinted from darker to completely clear.. tinting clear-coats is a great way to add depth of color and achieve certain "color-shifting" looks.. this would explain why it so rarely achieves a "uniform" look in terms of a single color.. 

Needless to say, I've had several in-depth conversations with our helmet reps and satisfied much of my curiosity around the topic of helmet colors and finishes..

Great info as always. Since you work with the vendors I am curious given the wide variety of options and techniques what's the ballpark price differential that you see?

On 5/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, guest23 said:

Great info as always. Since you work with the vendors I am curious given the wide variety of options and techniques what's the ballpark price differential that you see?

Prices can get down-right outrageous (up to $500+ per helmet for certain chrome options..

But we pay around $50 per helmet, which includes reconditioning, recertification, fresh paint, and re-dipping the facemask.. as I stated earlier, we use a standard color.. other colors and finishes can add up to about $40-$50-ish per helmet before you start getting into the crazy costs

On 5/29/2020 at 7:42 AM, WSU151 said:

Non-metallic royal blue shells started in 1990 with Kansas, and then Ohio Glory of the WLAF in 1992, and Duke wore them in 1994. 

The Broncos, Giants, and Rams could have made the change in the early 90s but chose not to. 

I remember adjusting the shades of the helmet colors on Front Page Sports Football pc game to reflect those mismatches.

9 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

The black stripes are decals.

Nope, she’ll is painted black, then the stripes are taped on then the paint the rest of the helmet orange, they remove the tape and the black is exposed to show the stripes.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Nope, she’ll is painted black, then the stripes are taped on then the paint the rest of the helmet orange, they remove the tape and the black is exposed to show the stripes.

That's what I thought...but in the photo, the black decal (second stripe) is torn. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

42 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

That's what I thought...but in the photo, the black decal (second stripe) is torn. 

That’s just from when the tape is pulled it got messed up on that crease, you can also see on the first stripe a little bit of the orange paint came with the stripe when it was pulled So you see the little bit of a touch line towards the point.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, L10nheart404 said:

I think this what it all comes down to; people aren't used to seeing these design elements. I just have a hard time seeing people really advocating for the old jerseys... The new ones are so much cleaner and better. I think the balance works ff_2872961alt1_full.jpg&w=900ff_3689243-8443626099f183a35eb7alt1_full

No doubt they're an improvement, but they could've been better also. Improving on the Falcons old unis aint saying much

fiowXOD.png

1 hour ago, Jt0323 said:

Wouldn’t call the falcons new uniform an improvement. So much wrong with it compared to their old one

You mean compared to tri-colored sleeves and side piping, and shadowed numbers? The old uniform has way too much going on. Again, not debating which one YOU like better, just saying the new one has far less egregious elements. 

2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

No doubt they're an improvement, but they could've been better also. Improving on the Falcons old unis aint saying much

We all knew when they made the announcement, that they definitely weren't going to the throwbacks. Without getting too gimmicky, it's not many ways to make the Falcons uniform unique from the stripe pants and block number crowd. Kudos for at least wanting your own look to advance the brand. It's 2020. In 5 years, the football uniform landscape will look entirely different, where these may be considered one of the more tame designs. 

35 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

We all knew when they made the announcement, that they definitely weren't going to the throwbacks. Without getting too gimmicky, it's not many ways to make the Falcons uniform unique from the stripe pants and block number crowd. Kudos for at least wanting your own look to advance the brand. It's 2020. In 5 years, the football uniform landscape will look entirely different, where these may be considered one of the more tame designs. 

I hope you are very wrong with this statement but I am sure we will probably get all white & all black looks including numbers with just an outline in the future since they looks so sick!

4 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

The white is the best one. When I initially saw the leak I got a '16 usmnt nike soccer vibe and this uniform could have been very sleek and modern but they went overboard on design elements much like the rams.

Some tweaks that would have made this clean and modern:

• make side stripe uniform thickness throughout jersey and pant
  • delete atl
  • go with a sleek angular number font, swap the side shadow with a standard outline or go single color
  • keep the gloss black helmet and black mask

Just by exercising some basic level of restraint you can create a modern yet clean looking uniform. All of the horrible uniforms of the nike era suffer from the same level of tacky over-embellishment while the best one shows an exercise in restraint and uses modern twists on a traditional aesthetic,

On 5/29/2020 at 1:12 AM, L10nheart404 said:

I think this what it all comes down to; people aren't used to seeing these design elements. I just have a hard time seeing people really advocating for the old jerseys... The new ones are so much cleaner and better. I think the balance works ff_2872961alt1_full.jpg&w=900ff_3689243-8443626099f183a35eb7alt1_full

You can’t judge the Falcons new uniforms just by the jerseys. The white and black jerseys, on their own, do look pretty sharp, don’t like the giant ATL, but we’ve all been over that. You have to take the whole uniform from head to toe into account. That’s the thing about the old uniforms, they may have been a product of their time with the piping and panels, but the uniform as a whole was a uniform that worked because it had that classic NFL color balance. The new uniforms jump on all of the current uniform design trends. You have a metallic facemask and satin helmet finish. You pair that with the black head to toe as the primary home and the white neck to toe as the primary road uniform, you have something that is also very much a product of its time. The difference, to me, is that this uniform doesn’t have the traditional socks/finishes/combos to ground it in that NFL aesthetic that can last for 17? years like the previous uniforms did. 

Shameless Plug: https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/121387-nfl-2020-by-8bw14-atlanta-falcons-20/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3113724

this is my “fix” that keeps the overall concept of the new uniforms, but gets rid of the gimmicky stuff that a lot of people don’t like. I think it gives the uniform a lot more staying power while keeping the idea the same.

31 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Shameless Plug: https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/121387-nfl-2020-by-8bw14-atlanta-falcons-20/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3113724

this is my “fix” that keeps the overall concept of the new uniforms, but gets rid of the gimmicky stuff that a lot of people don’t like. I think it gives the uniform a lot more staying power while keeping the idea the same.

Not a fan of the logo, number font isn't bad, but I personally think your design is a lateral move. It does get rid of some of the things people don't like, but I don't think it's an improvement. Its a perfectly fine concept, I just don't think it's much better than the real thing. But...I truly think the black/white home combo will end up as the default, with all black being reserved for primetime and marquee home games. For the first year or two, it would make sense to emphasize the black, since that's what fans wanted most, a black home jersey. Then you'll see players use their own accessories to break up the monotony. I seriously doubt every player will have black gloves, socks, and cleats like in the unveiling. There'll be some diversity. Same with the all white. It's totally fine if some people dislike them, I certainly had something different in mind. 

The old look was better. Still not ideal, but better. Their big mistake with that set was getting rid of the black jerseys and pants. This caused that set to start looking boring and stale, especially on the road, where the "stormtrooper" look was their only option anymore. Their road look was more balanced with black pants.

spacer.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived