Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

I dont absolutely despise the bone uniforms but it just doesn't make sense for the Rams. The Rams home uniforms the first few seasons in LA they mentioned that they were wearing white at home to represent the glory days with Deacon Jones. So Cal is bright colors not dull, let the Patriots and Seahawks wear bone instead of white not the Rams. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That post is also one that barely shows the segmented horns and white/yellow/bone sleeve details. 

It looks the best because all the details that have rendered it crummy have been obscured by the angle of the shot. 

That was the point of the post, why isn't that evident by the pics I chose to put up? But as I said, this isn't a bad look.EX6DeBGU0AAcgXZ?format=jpg&name=large Some people just want what they want, can't please everyone

Overall, it's not that bad. The colors are correct, the overall look is very familiar, I think it's an okay blend of old and new. From far away, it looks pretty sharp. Up close, there are more issues. Not sure I'm liking the "name tag," and I don't really understand the thin yellow stripe on the road uniform. Naturally people are already calling these the worst uniforms in the league, but I honestly don't feel that way. I'd go as far to say this is almost what I was expecting, and thankfully they didn't go too overboard.

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Really? A nice, curved font gives the alarm clocks a run for their money? It fits the rest of the look, and the subtle curves on the inside don’t bother me much.

First of all, I have no idea what look the Rams are going for here. The whole identity is a jumbled mess.

That aside, the fact the font is curved doesn't bother me at all really. Maybe font was the wrong choice of words and I should have expanded it to "font implementation" or something because the font itself in a vacuum isn't bad but the designs they paired with it are awful. 

The gradient on the home is silly and adds nothing at all to the uniform other than making it "trendy" apparently since gradients are in right now. The dark blue ram-horn outline on the away jersey look out of place completely. It's like they stuck plastic numbers on a "football uniform", though the away jersey with the "bone" pants is one of the worst football uniforms I've ever seen.

3 hours ago, kutztown said:

https://ramsnewlook.com/logos/#stay-tuned

Scroll down to the "Stay Tuned" section and watch the video. Here's an excerpt: 

"I glance back at it every week, and not once yet have I said to myself MAN IF WE ONLY WOULD OF THIS.  It just feels like we did it right."

-Steve McClard, Sr. Design Director, NIKE

Just one of the many, many maddening quotes in this original video that was released in advance of the uni's dropping.  I know everyone blows off Nike's influence on these types of major decisions, and yes I agree it's ultimately in the owner's hands, but you can't convince me that Nike isn't the biggest culprit here (or in most cases).   

If the client walks in and says, "That's the one!" that's all the justification that designer needed.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't hate the Rams new uniforms. I honestly expected them to be worse than what they are.

I really like the new helmets.

These are a few tweaks away from being a good set IMO.

Would've liked to see some yellow socks to be paired with the blue pants, but it is what it is.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

A downgrade across the board but not a massive one. All the Rams had to do was pick one of a few good looks and stick to it not redesign anything. But of course (because fire...new drip...fire...fresh etc lingo garbage) they tried to fix what wasn't broken and ended up degrading the brand

All I think of with bone is that scene from American Psycho with the business cards

Just nonsensical change for the sake of change and none for the better.

The helmets are still nice sure, but why take an A+ helmet and turn it into a B+ helmet?

Is gradient even in? Or are folks who design bad NFL uniforms just trying to make gradient in?

I am a recent LA transplant and was looking for a local team to support along with the Giants (my home team) and well . . . its not gonna be the Rams.  I really wanted it to be the Rams.  I like their history, the Kurt Warner team, the old Royal and Gold uniforms, the helmet design, and they were looking like a good young team with good players.  Plus they played at USC and had cheap tickets while the Charges played in a small soccer stadium and its been impossible to find reasonably priced tickets.  But man, this look is just so so so stupid. 

On the is it good or stupid scale, you have to say, nearly everything they did was stupid.

New ram head logo - stupid.

New LA logo - stupid

New wordmark (the full Los Angeles Rams one) - good 

Gradient - always stupid.

Mix of off white and white - stupid.

Extra stitching on the numbers - stupid.

Adding trendy tags and stitching to the uniform - stupid.

Segmenting the horns - stupid (but its close, this is almost good.defensible).

Going back to royal and gold - good.

That's way too much stupid.

The Chargers uniforms aren't perfect, but the criticism of the Chargers is mostly because they have always been a pretty good looking team, so I think the bar was higher.  But their changes, are mostly good.

New logo - good.

New wordmark - good.

Colors - good.

New striping - good.

Helmet numbers - good (but almost stupid, I think they are defensible).

Italicized font - stupid (almost excusable since it reads as mostly block, but not quite because they would look much better with normal numbers).

If I am going to buy any LA football gear, its going to be Chargers stuff.

The good

1. Colors

2. Helmet

The bad 

1. Everything else.

How does a team of people approve these? These might just be worse than Atlanta’s. The only thing Nike gets right for the most part are the helmet designs. However the Chargers, Bucs, and Browns nailed their updates.

5 minutes ago, Unwind said:

This is a super rough mockup, but getting rid of the patch, switching Bone to white and using the home sleeves makes a huge difference.

spacer.png

My goodness, yes.

On the bright side: no more royal blue clashing with navy blue!

Also, you gotta love them beating us over the head making the team blue and white dominant instead of blue and yellow the last 5 years... then ditching white altogether. 🙄

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, j'villejags said:

In this case, time may have worked against them. They had time to overthink this. 

When they decided to have the uniform change coincide with the new stadium opening they put pressure on themselves to deliver some sort of revolutionary design. All they had to do was update the classic look when they got back from St. Louis and call it a day.

58 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Jesus Christ, Rams.

YOU. ARE. A. FOOTBALL. TEAM. YOU. ARE. NOT. A. LIFESTYLE. BRAND.

I'm all for teams coming up with trendy fashionable merchandise, but it should never see the field. Go with the timeless look for the uniforms and save the wild ideas for a lifestyle section of the team shop.

Los Angeles Rams Tease Alternate Uniforms In 2021, 2022

May 13, 2020 - 20:53 PM

The Los Angeles Rams officially unveiled their new uniforms on Wednesday morning, which include a modernized metallic helmet, gradient numbers on the royal blue home jersey and a bone-colored road look.  In doing so, the Rams also subtly announced on […]

Read More...

On 3/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, j'villejags said:

I'd previously made a concept of a metallic blue lid as a way to try to blend a navy helmet with the royal uniforms. Here's that with what @oldschoolvikings has presented on a possible horn design.

StqDgNi.png

Assuming the real helmet would be more navy than this but who knows with the potential array of colors. 

I actually think this would’ve been better. 

I really can’t stand the gap in the horns. 

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

When they decided to have the uniform change coincide with the new stadium opening they put pressure on themselves to deliver some sort of revolutionary design. All they had to do was update the classic look when they got back from St. Louis and call it a day.

Well said.

Rams . . .

yourself GIF

Archived