Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

First impression: Given the classic set this will be automatically compared to, this is mostly a flop.

PROS:

• I think the segments on the numbers are a cool element.
  • Colors are great (aside from "bone") and well balanced, glad they ditched navy.
  • Horn sleeve on the home blues works really well and has obvious tie in with logo.

CONS:

• The "bone" set doesn't work. Why use so much white on an off-white uniform?
  • Every application of logos/wordmarks on the uniform are done horribly and detract from the overall design.
  • Horn is an obvious downgrade. The segmentation isn't the worst, but losing the end curl takes away from the illusion of a ram horn.
  • Lack of consistency in terms of applying the horn, gradients, etc.

TOO EARLY:

• I'm not against the gradient inherently. Yellow to white is fairly palatable and gives off the sunshine vibes they are going for. I just don't understand why they decided to only use it on the home jersey and pants.

This is probably the worst rebrand of the year for the NFL/Nike, especially considering what the team has to work with. Atlanta has issues in their set but I'm not as high on hating them as most. Neither will be looks that last, we can pretty much guarantee.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the royal tops with yellow pants, though the gradient numbers blow. The helmet is beautiful, the segmented horn isn't too bad. The bone is a nice try, but a mess, the pants need blue. I think the chest patch is a quick fix, I bet they wanted to put the new logo there, but since everyone hated on it, they replaced it with the name tag. Just hope they don't do mono royal and bone too often. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

4 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

These are the pics that makes them at least decent for me... The helmet is gorgeous (my favorite color)musa2ghfv0gjkhrol6jh.jpgj1elkty15ozlco61fvpq.jpg

I love it. The new primary logo may be a turd, but the uniform is great (other than the pajama look above). The helmet finally matches the uniform, the gradient numbers are a unique touch that definitely screams SoCal. And the color blue is the right one. Hate that LA now has two of the best looking teams and the Patriots are stuck wearing poo poo. . 

These are bad, but somehow not as bad as I expected them to be. I don't think they're worse than the Falcons, since the Falcons will be going mono-black and stormtrooper most of the time, and have the gradient alt. I'm speaking about the royal jerseys of course. Theres no redeeming the gray.

The segmented horns on the helmet is still horrible and incredibly tone deaf. I like the glossy royal helmet but the horns shoulda been untouched.

Royal jersey:

-This actually isn't completely awful. The font is bad and I'd prefer no gradient, but it's not completely terrible.

Bone Gray jersey:

-A lot more problems with this than the Royal one.

-Why are the shoulder "horns" different than on the home jersey? And who thought it would be a good idea to make it mostly white? It just gets lost in the gray.

-Same goes for the pants with the white stripe. It just blends and looks like there's an off center yellow stripe.

-the font is bad and those darker blue outlines stand out like a sore thumb, which can't be said for the outlines on the other jersey.

-Please wear the yellow or blue pants with these once in a while.

Also what's with Nike looking for everywhere but under the collar for wordmarks? The chest patches on both jerseys just look like Ads. And what is with that random yellow zig zag stitching on the top right only?

These are a C- at best, if I'm being generous. More than likely a D. I think they're better than the Titans, alarm clock Bucs and Browns. With the correct combos the Falcons are probably better (and at least the gradient is just an alt whereas the gray is a road.) And even the two-helmet Jags were nicer from the neck down.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

We kinda knew that at the logo unveil, as the LA logo doesn’t include the curl.

I think they thought the extra curl was a sign of older animals. 

Good observation ... that's the main difference from the traditional helmet horns.  Rams do have single curl horns too, so I'm okay with it.  The color of the helmet is awesome.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

4 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

These really aren't as bad as they were rumored to be.

That's usually how it is with rumors. Things are never quite as dramatic in reality as rumors lead you to believe.

4 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

who i think will take over the city by the 2030s.

That will never happen. Los Angeles is Rams and Raiders territory. Even if the Chargers won every Super Bowl in the 2020s, all that would do is attract bandwagoners.

5 hours ago, MDGP said:

So... I zoomed in on the picture of the idea board...

v8oisK9.png

INCLUSION/PRIMARY POWER/ DEEPENED WITH MULTI POP

9kcqQpv.png

AMBITIOUS DREAMERS/ UPWARDS AND OUTWARDS/ DEPTHS OF SKY AND SEA

pEKLtZb.png

DRIVEN TO SHINE/ FACETED/ CELEBRATION AND RENEWAL

What a bunch of absolute Jackasses.

These people are deranged. 

5 hours ago, Rambulance said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

This had the potential to be a good remake of the classic royal and yellow Rams uniforms. But the gradients and especially those weird shaped horns on the helmet and shoulders brings them down a few notches.

21 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

These really aren't as bad as they were rumored to be. Not great though. My main gripe is the similarities to the Chargers, who i think will take over the city by the 2030s.

They look nothing like the Chargers, and the idea that the Chargers will ever attract any significant fanbase in LA is crazy. Especially when the whole argument seems to be based on their new uniforms looking okay, not the ownership, on-field product, community outreach, etc.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

40 minutes ago, Primzahl said:

My main gripe is the similarities to the Chargers, who i think will take over the city by the 2030s.

They'll take over the city of San Diego by the 2030's, sure.

But there's not much reason for me to suspect one of the most quickly-regretted moves the league has made in recent memory won't be rectified pretty much as soon as one Dean $panos croaks. The situation between the Rams and Chargers in the LA market is essentially David vs. Goliath, if that story ended with Goliath (the Rams) repeatedly and violently smashing David (the Charger's)'s face into the dirt until he died from the blunt force.

It's been pretty apparent since the beginning that the Chargers-to-LA move has very quickly been regretted; so much so that the league seems more interested in actual discussion of moving the team TO LONDON, ENGLAND. I would more likely expect them to come crawling back to San Diego, since London has so many issues that I can't see any NFL team going there for more than an exhibition game or two.

And no, the new arena won't save the Chargers from the reality that they're barely a footnote in their own market. The Rams making a heavily mixed rebrand won't suddenly make the Angelinos who grew up loving and supporting that team switch over to a lame duck hanger-on that can't even max out seats when they're practically giving them away.

The Rams are one of the highest attended in the league since moving to LA. The Chargers, capacity aside, won't get that kind of number because not nearly as many people actually care about them outside of transplants seeing them as a great chance to see their ACTUAL fandoms for dirt cheap.

In terms of franchise value? The Rams are worth far more than the Chargers. The Chargers are worth 2.5 billion, good for 21st and lower than markets like Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore, and Denver. The Rams? 3.8 billion, good for fourth-highest in the league, only behind the Giants, Patriots and Cowboys. The Rams have made it to a Super Bowl in LA, the Chargers have one playoff appearance that ended in the Divisional Round.

39 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I love it. The new primary logo may be a turd, but the uniform is great (other than the pajama look above). The helmet finally matches the uniform, the gradient numbers are a unique touch that definitely screams SoCal. And the color blue is the right one. Hate that LA now has two of the best looking teams and the Patriots are stuck wearing poo poo. . 

2129629d22f6445ef8b8a2e0a693e72c.jpg

Archived