Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I have literally not once thought this logo is for the Chargers. If I force myself to look at it with the specific attitude of "can I make this a Chargers logo" then yeah, sure, I guess. But for me, the LA as well as the ram horn read very clearly. As I've said before, my only major issue is with the gradients (but the rounded horn annoys me too). It looks and feels like the team set out what they wanted to accomplish: combine the Rams and Los Angeles football into one brand. They succeeded.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Just now, Digby said:

LA logo is fine, rams head is out of place with this package. Looks like one of those vintage hand drawn logos of ye olden days. When every thing else is clean lines, fresh and bright, I don’t think it’s modernized enough to fit the whole package.

Good point. That's what's off about it, I just couldn't articulate it. It's vintage in an otherwise modern set.

I usually like Art Deco stuff a lot but that wordmark they'd been using felt so devoid of any character for some reason. Didn't work for me at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, Gothamite said:

Did you get those from the mothership?  Because I’m not at all convinced that those are the original LA colors. 

Yes I did.  I'm not sure they are either but here are the original colors as posted Trucolor.net below.  I still wish they would go mostly powder blue and white with yellow as an accent to make themselves much different from the Rams.  Hopefully we find out tomorrow.

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (1960)
FRANCHISE COLORS

1960: Pacific Blue, Navy, Yellow, White
PRIMARY COLORS

PACIFIC BLUE
* #2C5697
* R44 G86 B151

NAVY
* #041E42
* R4 G30 B66

YELLOW
* #F2A900
* R242 G169 B0

WHITE
#FFFFFF
R255 G255 B255

HELMET FACEMASKS

GRAY
* #B3B3B3
* R179 G179 B179

I hope they just stick with an updated variation of this and we're are good.

los-angeles-chargers-2019-powder-blue-un

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

LA logo is fine, rams head is out of place with this package. Looks like one of those vintage hand drawn logos of ye olden days. When every thing else is clean lines, fresh and bright, I don’t think it’s modernized enough to fit the whole package.

In a vacuum I do think the ram head looks cool for this reason but you’re right, the unevenness of it doesn’t match the rest of the designs. However here’s hoping it’s the midfield logo. 

Midway.png

It's not that bad. Adding a ram horn into the LA monogram is a nice idea, but I just don't know if I like that horn style or not. Gradient also doesn't work very well for every logo application. I figured they would still have a ram head logo somewhere in this identity, but this one in particular isn't good enough to reach primary status. The best decision so far is the return of royal and gold, but that was a no-brainer.

34 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yes, thank you!  It does look "old". 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Nailed the colors. LA logo isn't good. I hate the gradient. Ram head is a Solid C+, but there is so much room for improvement. This reveal has me worried that we're gonna see a ton of gradients on the uniform.

Nailing the colors the way they did makes you wonder why they didn't do it the day they announced the move back if they were always going to get there anyway. They spent four years getting dressed in the dark just to hold a press conference?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, CoasterLine said:

spacer.png

Angelo State University football anyone?

1 hour ago, CherryMX said:

This has been posted about 5 dozen times in this thread.

Stop posting it.

Stop it.

Ignoring it won't make it any less egregious. It's a real issue and if I were the Rams I'd be reaching out to settle this before it blows up in my face. 

The Ram head is fine, not as good as what it replaced, but fine, and should be the primary. The LA one is still garbage and looks pretty bad on hats.

They're gonna ruin the best helmet in the NFL with that garbage gradient horn too, aren't they?

Plot twist: rather than white at the front of the horns, they go with a white facemask...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Bits of Demoff interview:

the old logos were disconnected, they wanted a connection between the logos
fans wanted the colors of the uniform and helmet to match, and most fans wanted royal and yellow

Construction is still happening at Sofi despite California quarantine.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived