Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

As a Raiders fan, hating the Chargers is all fun and games until you get to this kind of situation. It would be really bad if not only did San Diego lose it's team, but then the name too? LA has a history with the Chargers name too (albeit a very brief one) so what's wrong with keeping that? Is Spanos embarassed of the team name now or something? He has no one to blame but himself for all of the awfulness that's been going on.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

And now that Bud Adams is in the grave, the Texans execs should reach out to the Titans to work out a Charlotte Hornets-style deal for the Houston Oilers' return.

bYhYmxh.png

2 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

And now that Bud Adams is in the grave, the Texans execs should reach out to the Titans to work out a Charlotte Hornets-style deal for the Houston Oilers' return.

The Titans have been keeping the Oilers legacy alive over the past few years with the light blue, so I think if the Oilers name goes to the Texans, they should atleast wait for the Titans to move on from their callback to the Oilers first.

bSLCtu2.png

The Chargers should keep they're brand and just go full powder-blue jersey/white pants as the home. Yellow pants as a road options, yes please. 

Instead were going to see the Angeles Starry Knights or something stupid. 

I think San Diego wants to keep the name and history for themselves...I also think this gives them a chance at a new fan base. More people would get on board with a hip new team especially because the rams suck. A lot of young people 25 and younger have no connection with the Rams.

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

If only. I'd welcome the move, but evidence seems to point to things remaining the way they are. But if the Titans were to use Oilers throwbacks or go back to a more Oilers-inspired uniform set/pallette (i.e., less navy blue and more red), it's good enough for me.

But as far as the Chargers go, I wish I could usurp Dean Spanos from Chargers ownership and keep the team there.

Each decision during this whole relocation debacle--from the inaction to do anything in the 2000s (best summed up by @Ice_Cap's question "If Los Angeles has been so important to you, why didn't you just move there first?"), to being unwilling to comprimise with the city of San Diego to failing basic consumer math (abandoning the 75% in San Diego for that precious 25% in Los Angeles), to complaining about the Rams moving back into your territory after abandoning it over 20 years, to teaming up with the other team that abandoned Los Angeles at the same time as the Rams, to be willing to sacrifice either the history of your team or said other team as charter AFL members by swapping conferences and/or renaming yourself, to become the Los Angeles Clippers of football (a rather succinct parallel), to be "considering" abandoning your team identity anyways--has essentially managed to top the previous in terms of ineptitude in the way only the Spanos can do. At least Art Modell and Bud Adams didn't leave Cleveland and Houston, respectively, to be Team #2 in Baltimore and Nashville.

I'd rather have them keep the Chargers moniker in the event of an LA move, given that they're still in the greater region and they'd be going back to their original city. If they want to differentiate themselves from the Rams and from their San Diego days, perhaps they can pick a new color palette or tweak the current one. For some reason something primarily red or deep orange and slate gray came to my mind (very random, I know), or just replacing yellow with orange or red.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

16 minutes ago, colortv said:

Also shouldn't the thread title be "considering rebrand"

No, because there hasn't been anything posted that even confirms that they're considering it.  In this day and age where everyone is a "journalist" and everyone has a medium, anyone can "report" anything without being held to the standard of confirming it and/or citations.  The thread title could just be "something someone typed about the Chargers."

Barring a quote from someone legitimately affiliated with the team, or maybe even someone who's just really close (like a beat reporter), there's no news to discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Chargers need to remain the Chargers.Go with the powder blue uniforms,white pants for home with the navy blue helmet and white tops and either navy blue or powder blue for the road pants.When the Chargers went with the white helmet they lost something.Mojo,winning,toughness,whatever.But stay the Chargers.

The interesting thing about this move is that the team will remain accessible to San Diego fans.        

The Chargers will be about two hours away from San Diego by car, a trip whose length is by no means prohibitive.  Furthermore, the local papers will surely continue to cover the team with beat reporters, and the sports talk radio will still make the team a main topic.

The Chargers already have a radio network that covers the whole vast zone of Southern California, including L.A.  That won't change (though they might not keep their Las Vegas station if the Raiders announce a move there).

So, for the vast majority of Charger fans -- who are not season-ticket holders but who follow the team by television, radio, and the newspapers -- there will be no difference at all after the team's move to Los Angeles.  Therefore, the team should definitely not dump its identity and its history.  Instead, it should embrace being a kind of regional team, albeit for a relatively small region.  

After all, if San Diego had never had teams in the various leagues, then fans in that city would consider Los Angeles teams as their home teams.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The interesting thing about this move is that the team will remain accessible to San Diego fans.        

The Chargers will be about two hours away from San Diego by car, a trip whose length is by no means prohibitive.  Furthermore, the local papers will surely continue to cover the team with beat reporters, and the sports talk radio will still make the team a main topic.

The Chargers already have a radio network that covers the whole vast zone of Southern California, including L.A.  That won't change (though they might not keep their Las Vegas station if the Raiders announce a move there).

So, for the vast majority of Charger fans -- who are not season-ticket holders but who follow the team by television, radio, and the newspapers -- there will be no difference at all after the team's move to Los Angeles.  Therefore, the team should definitely not dump its identity and its history.  Instead, it should embrace being a kind of regional team, albeit for a relatively small region.  

After all, if San Diego had never had teams in the various leagues, then fans in that city would consider Los Angeles teams as their home teams.

There's over 20 million people in Southern California. I wouldn't say it's a small region.

3 hours ago, ~Bear said:

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

Not to get off topic, but what is it with the "Texans" hate? Why does THAT have to be "bad branding"? 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

5 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

So if I'm reading this right... not only do they want to give up a perfectly serviceable market to play 2nd fiddle to the Rams, now they wanna ditch a nearly-60 year old identity for no good reason and risk being even less relevant & remembered than they are right now? (Hey! There's a name idea! The Los Angeles Football Clippers! :P)

Seriously though, it feels like just when you think Spanos and the Chargers couldn't be anymore stupid... they prove you wrong. I actually feel sorry for any Charger fans, whether they live in SD, LA or anywhere else. Y'all deserve a better-run team than this.

LA FC

I saw what you didn't see there.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

3 hours ago, colortv said:

There's over 20 million people in Southern California. I wouldn't say it's a small region.

Well, I meant geographically less extensive as compared to other regional teams, when you consider that the Broncos' region is several entire large Western states, and that the Seahawks' region extends through British Columbia and Alaska.  

Whereas, the L.A. Chargers' comparatively compact region would run only between San Diego and Los Angeles, and then eastward out into the Imperial Valley.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived