NFL 2020

FormerLurker

On 4/23/2020 at 7:49 AM, JayMac said:

This is a genuine question in which I'd like to hear the answer:

How can someone rank the Patriots update below the Falcons update?

The Patriots are only a C at best. It is looking like they will have a monochrome home set and there is a another flaw or two but the Falcons set has so many gimmicks including the same monochrome problem. IMO, the Falcons worst offense (besides the gradient mess) is the large wordmark. The only redeeming quality that the new uniforms have is that there is no piping anymore. The Falcons are a D/D+ at the very best.

I think it just depends on how much you prioritize certain elements as well as different sorts of aesthetic choices working for different teams. For example, I think that the monochrome look for the Patriots is a mistake, but I think it can work in the Falcons' case because they've adopted a more futuristic identity. 

I mean besides...the more I look at the Falcons' new set, the more that I think that simply reducing the size of "ATL" and reworking the numerals could make elevate their set from flawed to great. The Patriots are less radical, but there are lots of little mistakes (one pair of pants, weird numbers, striping inconsistencies) that add up. I still don't know if I'd rate them lower than the Falcons, but a case could be made. 

spacer.png

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grades, minus the Rams (Just doing letters, no - )

Browns - A. Color Rush aside (which everyone has), perfect. I prefer the white pants, so the lack of orange doesn't bother me, but seeing the mock-ups with orange pants, I think they look great, too. Add orange as an option, and they can't go wrong.

Bucs - A. Corrected their previous mistake. Compared to the original set (1997), the updated and oversized logo should be a knock, but after the last 6 seasons, going back to these from that crap makes those issues a non-dealbreaker.

Chargers - A. I believe in the more you show, the more there is to judge and I'm not big on the 2 CR uniforms, but it's the NFL nowadays and the primary set is damn near perfect (still undecided on how I like the shoulder bolts not on white on the powder blues, but not enough to knock them). I'm not big on the gold pants either, but they don't bother me enough, either, to knock them for it. Powder blue over white and all white are definitely their best looks and some of the tops in the NFL.

Patriots - C. Would be a B with silver pants for the navy jersey and white socks for the navy pants.

Falcons - F... for "Falcons"... and "Fail"

17 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

In terms of biggest upgrades, here's my list

1.Browns: Their original uniform was the worst of all the ones who've changed. I think the alt sucks but if it means we have the classic look back, I'll take it. 

2.Buccaneers: Personally, they have a top 10 look in the NFL again, they look better than the Browns, I don't hate the alternate either. But their second on this list because their original set was better than the Browns original set. 

3.Colts: Outside of the insertion of black, they perfected a perfect uniform, not a huge fan of the font either but I'll let it slide. Top 5 NFL uniform, no doubt. Only this low on the list because they only tweaked their uniform. 

4.Patriots: Maybe I'm in the minority on this but their previous uniform was a bottom 5 uniform in the league. They still aren't top 15 but it's a positive change, so there's that. Just get some silver pants. 

5.Chargers: Shouldn't of moved on from navy, but, since the powder still looks nice, and the removal of the paneling and the addition of the helmet numbers are improvements, I don't hate it, i think it's just a much more lateral change than what others are saying, their still a middle of the pack uniform.  The number font is a downgrade too.  

6.Falcons: It pains me to put this at six, it's the only true downgrade on the list, so much wrong with it, bottom 5, maybe even 3 uniform in the league. 

sad to see navy go......I wished they made it their secondary color

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

The Patriots are only a C at best. It is looking like they will have a monochrome home set and there is a another flaw or two but the Falcons set has so many gimmicks including the same monochrome problem. IMO, the Falcons worst offense (besides the gradient mess) is the large wordmark. The only redeeming quality that the new uniforms have is that there is no piping anymore. The Falcons are a D/D+ at the very best.

it's an interesting question.  To me, sometimes a near miss can be more frustrating/annoying than a total failure.

Take the Saints, for example. By any measure, their uniform is nowhere near as bad as the Titans, Bengals, or Cardinals.  No side panels, pointless piping, gimmicky clutter... just some mismatched colors, logo creep, and a stubborn insistence on going with the worst combinations. But for the Saints, the fixes are so easy! Its maddening! Just match the golds, put the helmet stripe on the gold pants, and wear those pants most of the time.  Done!

I think my dislike of the Patriots new uniform is similar. With the Falcons you just throw your hand up... the ATL, the nightmare font, the leotard legs, the gradient... what the hell can you do? But the Patriots just seem like they mailed it in. One pair of pants?  And if it's the only pair, it's the wrong color?  They tripped with the finish line in sight, while the Falcons lined up and ran the wrong way.

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

If there’s only one pair of pants, and they’re blue, I think that would be the reason. Atlanta has the flexibility to create a good look out of its components if it wants to. New England does not.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1. Chargers... beautiful upgrade, wished there were inserts in the bolt on the darker jerseys and had room for tv numbers on the sleeves. Wished there were still at a outdoor stadium with the colors and combos especially if they stayed in San Diego...still hoping for the day to happen...but I digress..15 out of 10

2 a . Browns - smart move back to the iconic classic look...major mistake when they switched off back in 15..glad orange alts are in the works..still meh with Brown facemasks prefer grey ...color rush is ok...don't like screen printed stripes prefer the knit

10 out of 10

2b. Bucs - last set was a montrosity..back to a look where they had success.. Wished they had a creamsicle alt jersey...pewter a little too dark

10 out of 10

4. Colts- love the update to an already classic look ..number font and wished theybbrougjt back the classic striped socks...don't like the black swoosh on jerseys

8.5  out of 10

5. Patriots- meh.....don't like stripes combo on road jerseys..should have a red jersey alt and white and silver pants...no tv numbers 

6 out of 10

6. Falcons - 😆😆😆 

4 out of 10

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Yeah the washington helmet is pretty sweet, and definitely looks like leather.  That's "dipped", right?  Not a wrap?

As for the Patriots vs Falcons, at least the Falcons is a cohesive design, vs the Patriots that looks like there was a committee, with one person in charge of numbers, one person in charge of trim, one person in charge of helmet (the easiest assignment in the world.)  I don't mind the mono look for them, but a gray option would be great.

The numbers really downgrade the Patriots set for me.  It's by far the biggest blemish.  I still rank them ahead of the Falcons, but that could change once we see them IRL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Random thought on Draft Day, and slightly OT, so my apologies in advance for talking more about wishes than actual changes:

The Bengals could absolutely just tweak this wordmark (maybe take out the arch, as much as I kinda like it) and use it for the foreseeable future. It still fits with modern wordmarks of today, and is better than the clunky one they currently have.

380.gif

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, scraw28 said:

Assuming the leather helmet color is coming back for next season 

Considering the Packers wore gold helmets going back to the 1930s, that might not be a great assumption.  There aren't many designs to choose from in the leather helmet era, and the Packers already did the only great one.

Maybe the 1925-26 uniform, which was essentially a flipped version of their classic duds.

rookies1926clidberg.jpg19264463f6d7c6b94c2c842ae08bea02ddf0.jpg

Or the 1922-24 mustard gold version, although this would suffer from not actually having sleeves.

DCSYAlci0H5m22qCJyobAgy-gOB8B7zbpjPcM8WG1924-team-(green-bay-press-gazette).jpg?

Aside from those, there were only a handful of years in the 1950s when the Packers didn't wear a gold helmet of some kind.

49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Aside from those, there were only a handful of years in the 1950s when the Packers didn't wear a gold helmet of some kind

And it's safe to assume, given how putrid the 50s teams were, that throwing back to any of those uniforms is never happening.  Hell, those pre-Lombardi white helmet sets don't even really look like anything the Packers should have been caught dead in.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Discrim said:

And it's safe to assume, given how putrid the 50s teams were, that throwing back to any of those uniforms is never happening.  Hell, those pre-Lombardi white helmet sets don't even really look like anything the Packers should have been caught dead in.

Agreed.  

White with touches of dark blue isn't a terrible look, I guess, but it's not the Packers.  It's certainly not worthy of being used as the only alt for the next five years.

CVpBuQFXAAAj1Ib.png

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Random thought on Draft Day, and slightly OT, so my apologies in advance for talking more about wishes than actual changes:

The Bengals could absolutely just tweak this wordmark (maybe take out the arch, as much as I kinda like it) and use it for the foreseeable future. It still fits with modern wordmarks of today, and is better than the clunky one they currently have.

380.gif

I think that wordmark would fit in so nicely with a set born out of the CR. Doesn’t need any outlines unless absolutely necessary. The overall design of the CR feels flat (maybe the best terminology to use is simplistic(?)), but in all the best ways possible.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

380.gif

I was thinking a wordmark based on their original helmet could work.spacer.png

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

What the Packers had was a brown helmet. I wouldn’t even call it “leather color”

This is the right thing to do for a leather helmet:

spacer.png

I know it’s college, but Texas A&M did it even better.

spacer.png

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

The 2020 NFL Draft Cap Collection from New Era

April 23, 2020 - 20:57 PM

The 2020 National Football League Draft will be held starting tonight and running over the next few days. Earlier this month, New Era unveiled this year’s 2020 NFL Draft cap collection. Each cap is black with a silicone team logo […]

Read More...

I like this collection, and it's worlds better than last year's state/city flag collection...but this...

"Note that the Las Vegas Raiders style has not yet been officially revealed though I’ve heard it’ll include a large “2020” across the crown on either side of the team’s classic shield logo."

...will look terrible. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived