NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

As far as the Jaguars are concerned, it would have been incredibly easy to synthesize all of their previous uniforms into something that would stand the test of time without looking too old-school.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, Nike got lazy a few years ago, so the Jaguars now wear glorified practice gear.

• Like 15

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Other than the use of color, what are the 'lot to like' here?

Too many outlines on the numbers

Pointy things on the shoulders

Nickname of a nickname on a patch
Sublimated stripes on the shoulders

Stripeless pants

BTW - these aren't likes, IMO

2 outlines is too many?

‘K you don’t have to like them, but they fit the overall set with the pointed numbers, and wordmark.

They can get rid of that easily with no real change to the overall set.

yea “chrome” was dumb to put on the shoulders but is barely visible and could get rid of them with little notice.

the pants had stripes they were just typical Nike pants stripes from this time period

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, DNAsports said:

Current Helmet

Previous Jerseys (probably unpopular opinion, but I liked them)

New Pants with proper striping

I'll third this (or sixth or eighth or whatever we're up to).

The primary change I would make to the old jerseys would be to make the numbers white on the teal jersey.  Otherwise, they were fine.  In particular, I love the number font.

Overall, I would actually like pictures of the old set taken directly from the front or the back, when you could only see one of the helmet colors and forget how ugly the helmets were.  The whole set looked good with both the black and gold sides of the helmet, but not the half-and-half helmet.

Ignore the little sliver of gold on Bortles' helmet in the bottom picture.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I feel like the Jags' two toned helmet distracted you from noticing how horrible the entire uniform was.  Even with the current helmet that uniform is a disaster. The big blocky pants panels alone make it a D+.

Out of curiosity, how exactly is it a disaster in your opinion?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I feel like the Jags' two toned helmet distracted you from noticing how horrible the entire uniform was.  Even with the current helmet that uniform is a disaster. The big blocky pants panels alone make it a D+.

It’s modern and doesn’t fit what everyone likes, but it’s not a disaster. Only thing I’d change from them is remove the “chrome” from the shoulders and fix the pants stripe.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I honestly wonder if the helmets would have looked any better with a more gradual gradient than how it's more like a hard line changing between the black and gold. I don't think they would've looked good, but I think they would have looked better

• Like 6

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

It’s hard for the jags to get the benefit of the doubt with any of their redesigns since they abandoned a nearly-perfect look and nothing since then has been an improvement. 

• Like 14

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Out of curiosity, how exactly is it a disaster in your opinion?

Well, if we move past the worst helmet idea in NFL history, here's what we still have to deal with;

spacer.png

1.  The shiny sublimated shoulder spikes (maybe a bit of a plus for alliteration) are IMO dumb. I'm not a fan of any of these tiny "just because we can" add-ons that can only be seen from up close. 

2. The all black mono-primary is always going to be a downgrade for me. The teal sleeve caps don't help, as I don't believe there's enough teal anywhere else to balance that much color in one spot.

3. I'm over multi-outlines on the numbers, personally.

4. Not a fan of the black numbers on the teal jersey... keeps me from wanting the teal to be primary, even though I absolutely do.

5.  "Jags" is a nickname of a nickname, as mentioned earlier.

6. I hate everything about the pants.  Everything.

7. And, just to add crap icing to the crap cake, black socks with black pants, my least favorite thing in history, ever.

Honestly, any of thee things alone are nit picky, sure, but this uniform is just another example, like the early 2000-teens contemporary Browns and Buccaneers designs, of just not knowing when to quit.  Like one quirky idea just wasn't enough, there had to be four, no five piled on.  Seriously, look at that picture... are those good football uniforms?

The Jaguars current design isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight closer than the 2013 version. I obviously have a bias towards simple football uniforms. The single layer number work for me, and that font is a winner. Add some teal to the white jersey, add a simple stripe element to the pants, avoid the black jerseys and pants as much as possible, stop with the minor league monochrome, and it's a top notch uniform, IMO.

But as a wise poster on these here boards always says, your mileage may vary. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As far as the Jaguars are concerned, it would have been incredibly easy to synthesize all of their previous uniforms into something that would stand the test of time without looking too old-school.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, Nike got lazy a few years ago, so the Jaguars now wear glorified practice gear.

The swoosh is almost perpetually either lazy or in a fever dream. The only truly balanced new sets (as in, new-new, not a refresh of an old look) they’ve pulled off have been Vikings, Jets, and Dolphins. Seahawks’ look works for them but is a bit busy for most. Tampa, Cleveland, and Jacksonville all got shoehorned into excessively busy looks. Atlanta’s is overly simplistic. 

It’s like the designers are either right out of bed after a night of terrible sleep, or on LSD. Why can’t they just have a coffee in the morning like the rest of us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, if we move past the worst helmet idea in NFL history, here's what we still have to deal with;

spacer.png

1.  The shiny sublimated shoulder spikes (maybe a bit of a plus for alliteration) are IMO dumb. I'm not a fan of any of these tiny "just because we can" add-ons that can only be seen from up close. 

2. The all black mono-primary is always going to be a downgrade for me. The teal sleeve caps don't help, as I don't believe there's enough teal anywhere else to balance that much color in one spot.

3. I'm over multi-outlines on the numbers, personally.

4. Not a fan of the black numbers on the teal jersey... keeps me from wanting the teal to be primary, even though I absolutely do.

5.  "Jags" is a nickname of a nickname, as mentioned earlier.

6. I hate everything about the pants.  Everything.

7. And, just to add crap icing to the crap cake, black socks with black pants, my least favorite thing in history, ever.

Honestly, any of thee things alone are nit picky, sure, but this uniform is just another example, like the early 2000-teens contemporary Browns and Buccaneers designs, of just not knowing when to quit.  Like one quirky idea just wasn't enough, there had to be four, no five piled on.  Seriously, look at that picture... are those good football uniforms?

The Jaguars current design isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight closer than the 2013 version. I obviously have a bias towards simple football uniforms. The single layer number work for me, and that font is a winner. Add some teal to the white jersey, add a simple stripe element to the pants, avoid the black jerseys and pants as much as possible, stop with the minor league monochrome, and it's a top notch uniform, IMO.

But as a wise poster on these here boards always says, your mileage may vary. 

By the time I got to the end of this comment, I knew who its author was. That isn’t a bad thing, necessarily. 

Also, by “shiny sublimated shoulder spikes”, did you mean the ends of the toilet bowl collars Nike was all about in 2012-13?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

By the time I got to the end of this comment, I knew who its author was. That isn’t a bad thing, necessarily. 

Also, by “shiny sublimated shoulder spikes”, did you mean the ends of the toilet bowl collars Nike was all about in 2012-13?

Yeah, that ended up just being another Nike BS ploy stating the collars as "Flywire". What purpose did it serve other than to look ugly and I never heard a player say "gee, my collar is too tight, I wish it was flywire".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

By “shiny sublimated shoulder spikes”, did you mean the ends of the toilet bowl collars Nike was all about in 2012-13?

Nope. If you look closely at the space between the toilet bowl collar and the sleeve cap, there's a shiny detail that forms a spike-stripe that's sublimated into the fabric... Black on black. You can only see it when the light hits it right. 

The fact that it's so unnoticeable just makes it more pointless.

• Like 1

I can't ignore the dumbest looking helmet in NFL history because it was the biggest part of the whole uniform. Also, the logo was and continues to be a PROBLEM.

But here's my issues with the rest of that Jaguars set:

- The weird patterns and materials on the neck and shoulders, plus the shield logo on the chest were too much "this is what the troops would wear if they played football".

- But the single biggest thing signaling the faux military cosplay those uniforms were trying to evoke is that awful awful number font. That was absolutely hideous. 

- Teal should always be their primary jersey color. They accidentally got this correct when they used teal numbers on the white jersey, which is why the decision to use black numbers on the teal jersey is so baffling. 

- I have a pretty hard rule on that. Only in rare exceptions does a dark number work on a color jersey and the black numbers on the teal jersey violate that rule hard. It's the kind of decision amateur designers with poor taste make. Plus they're basically illegible from any distance. You cannot go wrong with white numbers. 

- I actually don't hate the pants stripe on its own, but it didn't really match with anything else in the uniform. Seeing the Bucs use a similar stripe around the same time makes it feel like someone in NFL properties just really wanted to stripe some pants like that at the time. 

- I don't have a problem with the contrasting color sleeves, but if you're going to use contrasting color sleeves then put the logo or numbers on the sleeve. If you fill the sleeve with something then the sleeve's differing color looks considered and thoughtful. When you leave them blank it looks like a college or high school team who was just handed a Nike template. 

- Every color is used in every part of the uniform, but it's not done elegantly the way the original uniform was. Every piece of the uniform is turned up to 11 and there's no visual focal point. There's no restraint, no thoughtful consideration for how each piece of the uniform would look with the others. It's like the helmets, jerseys, and pants were all designed by different people at different times who weren't allowed the see the others' work. And the person who designed the helmet was both blindfolded and high. The person who designed the logo works for stockvectorlogos.com.

I wish they'd made the super bowl while wearing it. It's pure, uncut, tasteless trash. I'm glad it's dead, and it would've been hilarious for it to be preserved on a stage like that for all-time. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I can't ignore the dumbest looking helmet in NFL history because it was the biggest part of the whole uniform. Also, the logo was and continues to be a PROBLEM.

spacer.png

I don’t understand the hate this logo gets. 10x better and a significant upgrade over its predecessor.

spacer.png

• Like 12

All the Jags logo needs is a white outline and it should be ok in my books.... but yeah I figure they need to go back to the original teal but make it blue-ish.... I found that out when I did the redesign for said Jags.

ai8nPB5UTvyQANnGR2kVyiT_SOuNfDLG8uJFeWLI

UkFlATxYnUl-5fTZfMp4Z0mtgDq4pfY3gnhKhnmJ

Some are probably not gonna like it but there is an appeal behind black/blueish teal/white/gold

• Like 1