NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I would say light blue, too. They don't lean green enough to be teal. Yet the Hornets don't, either, at least in my mind's eye, and I wouldn't hesitate to call them teal. Tertiary colors are tricky like that.

I'd call the Fins teal no matter how much I get yelled at for not saying "aqua." 

I could be wrong, but doesn't the Hornets' current blue differ drastically from the original? I think the original was much more tealish and the new one is referred to as teal by association. I also think it's great that the Panthers have such a unique color that it cannot be named.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

If I'm not mistaken, it went significantly bluer in the shift to "Creole Blue" in New Orleans. TruColor says it's the same shade of teal now as it was the first time around, but it doesn't look that way to me. My lying eyes.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I could be wrong, but doesn't the Hornets' current blue differ drastically from the original? I think the original was much more tealish and the new one is referred to as teal by association. I also think it's great that the Panthers have such a unique color that it cannot be named.

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If I'm not mistaken, it went significantly bluer in the shift to "Creole Blue" in New Orleans. TruColor says it's the same shade of teal now as it was the first time around, but it doesn't look that way to me. My lying eyes.

The NOLA Hornets got blue, purple, and yellow during their time, as opposed to the Queen City's teal and purple. It is the same teal as before, but the purple the team uses now is "Dark Purple", a significantly darker (and significantly worse) shade of purple.

Edit: It seems like the NOLA Hornets used the original shade of teal before the 2008 update, which is when they switched to "Creole Blue".

Edited by QCS
Messed up timeline

the user formerly known as cdclt

28 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I was just thinking that if you ask a layman what color the Panthers are, I feel like the default would be teal. Especially in the vain of a mid-90s color option.

I think people would describe it as "powder blue," as that seems to be the default name for any blue lighter than royal in sports.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I think people would describe it as "powder blue," as that seems to be the default name for any blue lighter than royal in sports.

Maybe, except powder blue is basically the Tar Heels or the blue pullover MLB uniforms of the 80s. The Panthers are clearly darker than that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

21 minutes ago, Justpassingby said:

This news kinda bums me out. I was looking forward to Lawrence and the Jags coming out in a few years decked head to toe in black and totally being the villains of the NFL. How do you hate a team dressed in teal lol

People found a way to hate a team decked out in red white and blue for 2 decades. Just kick the whole leagues ass enough and everyone else will hate you eventually. Teal is definitely the way to go for them though.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

Panther blue, Carolina blue is the color the tar heels wear.

Though I know the Tar Heels’ blue is much lighter, Team Color Codes actually lists the Panthers’ blue as “Carolina blue,” as well. Not saying it’s correct, just sharing why I responded the way I did initially.

1 minute ago, AndrewMLind said:

Though I know the Tar Heels’ blue is much lighter, Team Color Codes actually lists the Panthers’ blue as “Carolina blue,” as well. Not saying it’s correct, just sharing why I responded the way I did initially.

Team Color Codes should never be considered a "source of truth".

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

34 minutes ago, dont care said:

People found a way to hate a team decked out in red white and blue for 2 decades. Just kick the whole leagues ass enough and everyone else will hate you eventually. Teal is definitely the way to go for them though.

To be fair the Pats were more of a navy and silver team.

• Huh? 1

2 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Teal over black is pretty dang awesome, too.

spacer.png

I’ve always thought teal over black to be the Jags’ best home combo. The black pants balance the helmet better, in my opinion, and since their main colors are teal and black, they might as well embrace them both as much as possible.

White over teal would be my ideal away combo, with one home game each for the black jersey over teal pants and for all-black.

• Like 4

Although it's obviously true to say the Panthers have stuck with the same look since day one, it's hard for me to see them as a team that hasn't messed with their uniforms. The constant mixing and matching of all those stupid combinations ruins the overall aesthetic IMO. 

Burn all the pants but gray and they good to go.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, IceCap said:

Carolina's inaugural unis were perfect. The original logo > the updated version. 

My only complaint is the existence of white pants. They need to wear silver with all three jerseys. 

Honestly? I find the calls for the Panthers to radically alter their look kind of frustrating. They've kept essentially the same identity since the 1990s, and it's a solid one.

Here we have a modern uniform that manages to look good and not seem overdone, and it's only been ever so slightly tweaked since 1995. That should be the standard- a new team gets their look right on the first go and doesn't muck it up. Their expansion cousins in Jacksonville are perfect examples of what happens when you muck it up. 

The Panthers, though, are the gold standard of a new team establishing a bold new look, and making it their own through commitment to it. It's such a rarity in the Big Four that I want to see their identity stick around as long as possible. 

Exactly.  When the teams started, I liked the Jags look a lot better. I've never liked Carolina's helmet logo nor the tapered stripes (and they're OK from neck-down).  I loved the prowling jaguar and (as this is per my unpopular taste) the three-color block numbers. To me, just about everything Jacksonville has done has either been a downgrade or a shift from crap to a different kind of crap. Meanwhile, Carolina has kept a sturdy, albeit unspectacular, look. I think the Rockies/Marlins expansion is kind of similar in MLB.  The Rockies have stuck with an unspectacular but generally inoffensive look and the Marlins have not been quite sure what to do.

Carolina has its take on traditional striping and traditional two-color block numbers, whereas Jacksonville seems to chase trends a bit (when they're not trying to start a trend with a two-tone helmet).  Their initial three-color numbers were kind of a 1990s thing (like in "The Program"). Right now, one-color numbers and simplicity are king.

I would not go quite so far as to compare them to the Padres or Canucks. While I am sure someone could ding me on the pantones, they haven't undergone the color changes those teams have and their helmet logo has been "tweaked" (which in no way compares to the Canucks skate, orca, stick-in-rink history). But from a simple "uniforms" perspective, they just can't seem to sit still.

I personally could not care less which jersey is their primary because all of their jerseys look like practice jerseys to me. I'm usually not a one-color number fan but to me this is the worst one-color number decision in NFL history. I'm generally OK with simple uniforms but this needs something interesting.  From the neck down, this is definitely the worst the team has looked, in my opinion.

• Like 6

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I personally could care less which jersey is their primary because all of their jerseys look like practice jerseys to me. I'm usually not a one-color number fan but to me this is the worst one-color number decision in NFL history. I'm generally OK with simple uniforms but this needs something interesting.  From the neck down, this is definitely the worst the team has looked, in my opinion.

This is a good point. You know, I don't think I could describe the Jags uniform to anyone. Vaguely teal, black and white...but that's about it. Do they have stripes? Logos on the leg? Who knows!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Jacksonville should just do what the Bucs just did. Just revamp their prime 2000s look and call it a day. 

Their current set is entirely too drab and void of any character.

Previous set had the helmet ruin the entire set.

Before that, another drab set that was void of any gold and it included piping. But, the helmet finish was the greatest thing that came out of it.

• Like 13