NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

6 minutes ago, Jay_Mellowed said:

Jacksonville should just do what the Bucs just did. Just revamp their prime 2000s look and call it a day. 

Their current set is entirely too drab and void of any character.

Previous set had the helmet ruin the entire set.

Before that, another drab set that was void of any gold and it included piping. But, the helmet finish was the greatest thing that came out of it.

It wasn't just the helmet.

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

The thing with the Jaguars original set, is that it seemed every year they tweaked it. The number font changed a few times, they had side panels (although I think this was very short lived, like a couples games? I can't remember exactly), the pants stripe changed on both the white and black pants, their away jersey number color changed from teal to black. It also benefited from shiny fabric, which made the gold a stronger compliment to the teal. I don't think their gold translates well to Nike jerseys currently (as we saw with their previous set, it either appeared mustard or yellow). I think this current set is a great base, they just need to do some minor tweaks to elevate it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Fair enough. They just have great SEO 😂

They guy who runs that site admitted to me that he's an expert in SEO. Something (one of the many things) I really need to get better at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

It wasn't just the helmet.

At the time, I agreed and I sometimes thought that the elite-level awfulness of that helmet drove people to think the rest was good because it was just standard-level awful. 

And maybe the new jerseys are having the same impact on me...looking back, I don't think that uniform (neck-down, of course) was terrible. Not one of my favorites, but at least it looked like a game uniform, unlike today. But still...they had it right the first time.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

The thing with the Jaguars original set, is that it seemed every year they tweaked it. The number font changed a few times, they had side panels (although I think this was very short lived, like a couples games? I can't remember exactly), the pants stripe changed on both the white and black pants, their away jersey number color changed from teal to black. It also benefited from shiny fabric, which made the gold a stronger compliment to the teal. I don't think their gold translates well to Nike jerseys currently (as we saw with their previous set, it either appeared mustard or yellow). I think this current set is a great base, they just need to do some minor tweaks to elevate it. 

I wanna say the side panels were a 97 preseason thing, still have of those jerseys that was reversible lol.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

31 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

At the time, I agreed and I sometimes thought that the elite-level awfulness of that helmet drove people to think the rest was good because it was just standard-level awful. 

And maybe the new jerseys are having the same impact on me...looking back, I don't think that uniform (neck-down, of course) was terrible. Not one of my favorites, but at least it looked like a game uniform, unlike today. But still...they had it right the first time.

I absolutely loved the white jersey in the previous set. The issue for me was the black jersey with teal sleeves, the teal jersey with black numbers, and the pant stripe(?) thing. They just looked amateurish. The teal sleeves had the same effect as the Titans' current light blue pit stains: it's like they realized they forgot a key color and wanted to shoehorn it in. It also didn't fit the helmet. The "game uniform" point I don't agree with because other teams have just as basic jerseys (Raiders, Giants), but the Jags just haven't had them for decades yet. I've seen mockups that add a white stripe between the black and teal on the sleeve and it helps a lot. That, and adding stripes to the pants I think fixes this current set. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Swap the teal for dark red, then use dark red numbers on the white jersey and add a one-color pants stripe. Congrats, you have what the Cardinals should be wearing from the neck down.

spacer.png

I’ve been saying this for a while now. The basic idea of the Jaguars uniforms is a great one, it’s just that the wrong team had the idea. It’s Arizona who should’ve gone that route, not Jacksonville.

• Like 10

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I loved the Jags first uniform at the time and it's still probably the best they've ever looked, but I don't know if I'd still be thinking that if they had been wearing it all these years. I think it's a bit too 90's to work just as it was today. I could see a slightly simplified version working.

For me, the new logo is an upgrade (don't know if that's an unpopular opinion) and the current number font is awesome... my favorite of the new "block with a twist" fonts we're getting. Plus, my current design crush is single layer numbers, but I don't know if that'll last for me.

I'd keep the current uniform as a jump off point, get rid of the black jerseys and pants, change the white jersey's spikey elements to teal, add some teal stripe/spike to the pants, and be done. 

After some of the garbage we've gotten on the past decade "too simple" is not a criticism I'm ready to make.

• Like 7
  • Meh 1

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I loved the Jags first uniform at the time and it's still probably the best they've ever looked, but I don't know if I'd still be thinking that if they had been wearing it all these years. I think it's a bit too 90's to work just as it was today. I could see a slightly simplified version working.

For me, the new logo is an upgrade (don't know if that's an unpopular opinion) and the current number font is awesome... my favorite of the new "block with a twist" fonts we're getting. Plus, my current design crush is single layer numbers, but I don't know if that'll last for me.

I'd keep the current uniform as a jump off point, get rid of the black jerseys and pants, change the white jersey's spikey elements to teal, add some teal stripe/spike to the pants, and be done. 

After some of the garbage we've gotten on the past decade "too simple" is not a criticism I'm ready to make.

I have no problem with single layer numbers, but given (I think it's a given) that the Jaguars are too lacking in color, an outlined number would be good there, IMO.

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

I disagree. Jacksonville is among the few teams that can get away with triple-layer numbers and names. Single-layer doesn't suit them as a relatively recent expansion team in an unusual (for pro sports) city. 

Unpopular, and it goes against a lot of my sensibilities, but I didn't really mind when the 2000s Jags were primarily a black team on the road, with black names, numbers, pants stripes, and socks on white. It gave them a pleasantly neutral feel -- like the Titans, pace the Duuuuvaaaalll chants, I've always thought of them as a Team From Nowhere -- and made the teal jerseys at home a little more special. So yeah, doing a sprucing-up of the 2004-2008 Jaguars would be just fine with me.

• Like 14

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A breakdown of the Jaguars' uniform history in their original design. I personally liked the inaugural version with their numbers and font. The change from 1998 is probably their best look. 

1995 (first season with inaugural patch)

mark-brunell-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars

1996 (patch removed, uniform remains the same)

randy-jordan-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars

1997 (black side panels are added and a custom font (for number and NOB) was introduced. After legibility issues with the new font, the Jags updated the new font midway through the preseason. Also, the pants stripe goes through a minor change with the gold stripes made thinner.)

aug-1997-quarterback-rob-johnson-of-the-aug-1997-quarterback-rob-johnson-of-the-

1998 (Black side panels removed.)

nov-1998-fred-taylor-of-the-jacksonville

1999-2001 (No changes) 

oct-2000-quarterback-mark-brunell-of-the

2002 (Black jersey and black pants with stripes introduced. Black pants paired with all three jerseys. Worn for next two seasons. Team also alters collar for NFL Equipment logo.)

mark-brunnell-of-the-jacksonville-jaguar

quarterback-mark-brunell-of-the-jacksonv

stacey-mack-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars-

2004 (10th season patch added. Black pants are now stripeless and worn with all three jerseys frequently. Numbers and NOB on white jerseys switch from teal to black. This uniform is worn until 2009's uniform change.)

fred-taylor-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars-

2008 (Stripes changed on white pants from B/G/T/G/B to T/G/B/G/T for one season.)

david-garrard-of-the-jacksonville-jaguar

2009 (new uniforms) 

PH-304239954.jpg

• Like 13

Go A's!

So Teal/White or Teal/Black because the Jags got over 21k target.... IN A DAY.

on an unrelated note, prompts to the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp for doing a spoof campaign saying they'll be wearing a teal top for one game... with 21 retweets needed.

I thought it was clever.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, heavybass said:

So Teal/White or Teal/Black because the Jags got over 21k target.... IN A DAY.

on an unrelated note, prompts to the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp for doing a spoof campaign saying they'll be wearing a teal top for one game... with 21 retweets needed.

I thought it was clever.

May be alone on this one, but I hope the Jaguars go teal over black as the primary home look. With no black on the white pants but a black helmet they look like the Miami Dolphins minor league affiliate. Teal over black and white over teal, with one black over teal game and one all-teal or all-black game.

• Like 3

I would like them to wear teal over white for day home games (vibrant bright colors popping) and save the teal over black for late games. 

For the road if they have to wear a colored jersey, then that's when they can wear the black jersey over teal. And then white over any of the three pants colors would do. 

• Like 5

Go A's!

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I have no problem with single layer numbers, but given (I think it's a given) that the Jaguars are too lacking in color, an outlined number would be good there, IMO.

The interesting thing is that the current Jags do have outlined numbers... they're all just outlined in the same color as the jersey.  Do you, Jags.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, DPHF said:

The interesting thing is that the current Jags do have outlined numbers... they're all just outlined in the same color as the jersey.  Do you, Jags.

I'd call that less 'interesting' than missing the point - that doesn't address the lack of colors in the uniform.

• Like 4
  • Huh? 1

It's where I sit.