2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

I've always viewed the NOB and the numbers as different entities. Sure, it's cool when the NOB and the numbers follow the same outlining, but for a lot, it just doesn't work and I don't think has to for legibility's sake. As long as the NOB isn't some sort of huge deviation from the number font, I think it's fine if it's a simple single-outline or a basic one colour non-outline thing.

563583073.jpeg

a36951cc5c675d7444e1acdd96d81acf_toews-k

flames_july13_2020_001.jpg

My caveat being that if a team is going to go with a different NOB colour than what is used as the number colour on the dark jerseys, as the old Flames, the only acceptable colour for that is white.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

I've never seen a doule-outline NOB that look good - especially with longer names.

My "rule" (or "the way I'd try it first and evaluate before trying other ways") is that if you have an outline on your number and a single-color NOB, the NOB should be the color of the outline, since otherwise it looks like they just forgot the outline.

Here's an example. Had they gone with red to match the number, it would have looked like they just forgot the navy outline.  Admittedly it works better when the number is a lighter color than the outline, but that's my preference.

62317_01.jpg

• Like 14

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

These all look better with double outlines (though the Panthers' double-outlined NOB wasn't good):

I guess I should clarify, my opinions regarding double outlines only applies when the middle outline matches the base colour of the jersey (like Montreal). I don't have a problem with teams like St. Louis using 2 outlines that stand out from the jersey.

The NOB should be kept simple though. I don't mind a single outline if it matches the numbers (Calgary, NYI, Washington, etc.), but double outline's just turn into a mess. On Dallas's old set you could barely read the name unless you got a super close-up.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Back to some actual uniform news for this season, Minnesota has just released a teaser for their upcoming Winter Classic jerseys. Looks like I was wrong when I assumed it would be a green version of their reverse retro:

spacer.png

• Like 6

Are you sure that's for the Winter Classic? Not that that doesn't make sense, but the social media posts didn't say that.

I hope you're right that it's for the Classic, though. They finally settled on mostly red/green with minimal (whatever that is; tan/wheat/gold) and I don't want a full-time third jersey to go backwards.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

51 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I think the white outline helps Chicago but its also not as drastic as I first imagined.  I think both sets looks good:

VCeDzOX.png

MRgltjn.png

Doesn't look awful (and might work on the white jersey as it mimics the stripes) but it looked best on the Winter Classics.

280 Chicago Blackhawks ideas in 2021 | chicago blackhawks, blackhawks,  blackhawks hockey

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Back to some actual uniform news for this season, Minnesota has just released a teaser for their upcoming Winter Classic jerseys. Looks like I was wrong when I assumed it would be a green version of their reverse retro:

spacer.png

My best guess for this is that the darker cream section is part of the logo. I guess the other opinion is that it’s the numbers. Considering Michael Russo said that it’s a green jersey, I’m going to say this is part of a chest stripe. Maybe one that would go, Cream-Red-Cream-Red-Cream with the center stripe being the thickest. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

They finally settled on mostly red/green with minimal (whatever that is; tan/wheat/gold) and I don't want a full-time third jersey to go backwards.

What makes you say that? One of my enduring criticisms of the current home jerseys is that the color balance is that red is relegated to a distant tertiary trim color instead of being a secondary color.  The Wild color hierarchy should be GREEN-RED-wheat, not GREEN-WHEAT-red. 

Just now, seasaltvanilla said:

What makes you say that? One of my enduring criticisms of the current home jerseys is that the color balance is that red is relegated to a distant tertiary trim color instead of being a secondary color.  The Wild color hierarchy should be GREEN-RED-wheat, not GREEN-WHEAT-red. 

I disagree, based solely on personal preference. I can't stand the red-green combo for some reason. Having red relegated to a tertiary color has made it far more palatable. 

On 8/30/2021 at 3:09 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Alright now that's just a lie. I'm not a mod but let's not start a debate on that

Let's keep talking about double outlines instead 😂

It’s not the same language the same way English and American English are different languages. Don’t get hung up on this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

My best guess for this is that the darker cream section is part of the logo. I guess the other opinion is that it’s the numbers. Considering Michael Russo said that it’s a green jersey, I’m going to say this is part of a chest stripe. Maybe one that would go, Cream-Red-Cream-Red-Cream with the center stripe being the thickest. 

Looks like a wheat roundel over the stripes to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

Looks like a wheat roundel over the stripes to me.

I’m not sure. That material for the wheat is the same as the rest of the jersey and doesn’t appear to be the tackle twill jersey crests are made of. Also if it was a roundel I feel we would be able to see something else like the edge of so lettering or an outline.

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

I’m not sure. That material for the wheat is the same as the rest of the jersey and doesn’t appear to be the tackle twill jersey crests are made of. Also if it was a roundel I feel we would be able to see something else like the edge of so lettering or an outline.

Well when the AdiZero system was introduced the crests all had the jersey material as the base for most of the logo. So this could just be the edge of the logo. What is weird tho, is that most logos outer edge was tackle twill, and the inside was the jersey material. So this is definitely a puzzling teaser. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Could the Wild teaser be an update on their home jersey instead of an alternate or the winter classic?  The stripe pattern is similar to their current home.  Wouldn't make sense to have an alternate or the WC jersey have the same pattern.

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well when the AdiZero system was introduced the crests all had the jersey material as the base for most of the logo. So this could just be the edge of the logo. What is weird tho, is that most logos outer edge was tackle twill, and the inside was the jersey material. So this is definitely a puzzling teaser. 

This is what I’m seeing… stand-alone M on Millers-style chest stripes?

Spoiler

• Like 6

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

10 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Hide contents

Good god, the Blues need to pair this with their current Heritage sweater and make them the new primaries. Gorgeous.

And I love that Min sweater as well. Never been a fan of their branding, but this would be a fantastic look for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Reveal hidden contents

Just make the shoulders green and it's perfect. No real need for that red square yoke. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.