2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

13 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

CBS is doing a soft focus thing after plays that they did for the first time during the Super Bowl. The NBA did the same thing during the Finals. It looked dumb then and it looks dumb now.

I might be wrong, or my eyes are failing me, but I thought I saw one of the Fox broadcasts do this, too. It's a gimmick that's going to get old really quickly, if it hasn't already. It's like someone saw the popularity of Instagram filters and said, "let's do that for live TV!"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I might be wrong, or my eyes are failing me, but I thought I saw one of the Fox broadcasts do this, too. It's a gimmick that's going to get old really quickly, if it hasn't already. It's like someone saw the popularity of Instagram filters and said, "let's do that for live TV!"

Fox did that late last year too. 

They should stop it then.

I think most sports fans really just want to see a side view during the course of play, some highlights of plays, and the crowd shots of pretty women, cute kids, and big fat party animals. I think that's the list.

This is one of the funniest and most prescient sports parody videos, and while I think some of the worst excesses are past us, there's always the desire to do too much with sports:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is one of the funniest and most prescient sports parody videos, and while I think some of the worst excesses are past us, there's always the desire to do too much with sports:

Paradoxically, it was Rupert Murdoch's British and Australian executives who decided that the NFL on Fox would be a sensory overload, which has trickled down into every sports property we have. Dick Ebersol didn't even believe in running the clock on the screen. 

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What's the deal with NFL and 4k?  From what I'm reading, only the Thursday night games are in 4k, and you need to go through the Fox Sports app (if it's supported on your device) to get it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

ESPN is doing the vignette cam too. Maybe it's an NFL directive?

I think it's a matter of people finding it unique and cool when Fox first did it during the middle of last season and now it's created something of an arms race that nobody actually asked for. It's spread beyond the NFL and North America as well; I've seen it in Spanish football games back last season. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Jeff Bezos, Jay-Z Among Potential Broncos Suitors (frontofficesports.com)

NFL sources expect the Denver Broncos to hit the market in 2022 after what the team says will be an “orderly determination of ownership” — setting the stage for possibly the biggest franchise sale in U.S. sports history.

Pat Bowlen, who purchased the Broncos for $78 million in 1984, died in June 2019, exposing a struggle for the future of the franchise among some of his seven daughters, including a lawsuit brought by two of them that was dismissed in July.  

While the team is currently not for sale and Bowlen’s descendants could keep it in the family, sources tell Front Office Sports the family’s differences, combined with the purchase price — expected to be around $4 billion — will likely lead to a sale.

Sources tell FOS that two names keep popping up as potential new owners: 

• Amazon founder Jeff Bezos: A rep for the world’s richest man previously held talks for a 40% stake in the Washington Football Team. A source with knowledge of the situation told FOS that Bezos remains interested in NFL ownership. 
  • Rapper-turned-mogul Jay-Z: Hip-hop’s first billionaire would need partners to purchase the Broncos. Forbes estimated his net worth at around $1.4 billion after the sale of champagne brand Armand de Brignac — he owned 50% when it was acquired by LVMH for $650 million in March.  

Sports attorney Richard Roth said there will be no shortage of suitors because NFL ownership is “definitely a status symbol” for the super-rich and because of how quickly franchises can significantly increase in value.

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

ESPN is doing the vignette cam too. Maybe it's an NFL directive?

Here's an article about how they achieve that shallow depth of field look: https://theathletic.com/2275503/2020/12/21/meet-megalodon-the-fox-camera-that-made-a-splash-in-this-made-for-tv-nfl-season/

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 9/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, Dilbert said:

Saints home opener vs Green Bay has been moved to Jacksonville.  Due to the lingering effects of Hurricane Ida to New Orleans, the team has been practicing in Arlington TX and had hoped to play the game there but couldnt because of a concert at AT&T Stadium. The Saints looked at Florida next as Aaron Rodgers has struggled playing in games in Florida. They ruled out Miami because its a destination spot and easy to travel to for Packers fans. They ruled out Tampa as they were worried the fans of their division rivals would show up cheering against them so they chose Jacksonville as of the three cities that would be the costliest for Packers fans traveling to the game, hoping to keep many Packers fans from coming to the game.

Tampa and Miami both hosted college football games the day before the Packers-Saints game was to be played.  Jacksonville was wide open.