The Rite of Spring: 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Brass

9 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Is McDavid really going to waste his career in Edmonton instead of winning a Cup?

This is what I've been asking myself for a while now.

I remember when John Tavares left the Islanders, some made it seem like it was a monumental end of an era. And then the next year and the ones after that, they finally win a playoff round and make a bunch of conference finals without him.

31 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

This is what I've been asking myself for a while now.

I remember when John Tavares left the Islanders, some made it seem like it was a monumental end of an era. And then the next year and the ones after that, they finally win a playoff round and make a bunch of conference finals without him.

Tavares did make the second round once with the Islanders.  

5 hours ago, Sport said:

I have been waiting for the Matthews and Marner core to show they can win a game like that since they got in the league. Now they have to do it again. 

As a Bruins fan, it pains me to say this but I'm really hoping this is the year they put it together. Toronto is one of, if not my favorite cities I've visited.  I've had my fun watching them suffer at the hands of the Bruins, but now that the Bruins suck, I'd be happy to see the Leafs finally get over the hump. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, speedy said:

As a Bruins fan, it pains me to say this but I'm really hoping this is the year they put it together. Toronto is one of, if not my favorite city I've visited.  I've had my fun watching them suffer had the hands of the Bruins, but now that the Bruins suck, I'd be happy to see the Leafs finally get over the hump. 

I like the Leafs too, but it's just time they stopped farting around and won a big boy series for the first time. I really want Matthews and co to take that next step, but they choked to Montreal last year when they had that series by the throat, they couldn't beat the Blue Jackets in the five game bubble series, and they had a mental block against Boston. Something about them turns me into Stephen A Smith where they have good regular seasons, people pump them up all season, and I'm like "I WON'T TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY IN THE REGULAR SEASON UNTIL THEY WIN A PLAYOFF SERIES" and I don't like being that kind of a fan so I just want them to win one already. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Is McDavid really going to waste his career in Edmonton instead of winning a Cup?

As long as they continue to wear these navy jerseys, McDavid and the Oilers deserve nothing but fire and ruin.

Why Edmonton has ran it back 3 times with Mike Smith as their goalie is beyond me. The dude is useless in the net.

jNTsTyQ.png

3 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

As long as they continue to wear these navy jerseys, McDavid and the Oilers deserve nothing but fire and ruin.

Why Edmonton has ran it back 3 times with Mike Smith as their goalie is beyond me. The dude is useless in the net.

I know a couple years ago they thought they had a done deal for Markstrom, but Calgary swooped in at the last minute and signed him. I'm not sure if they called about Fleury, but he likely wouldn't have waived his no-trade clause to go there.

Gibson should be a major target for them this offseason, but I don't know if they have the trade pieces Anaheim would be interested in. Maybe one of the Washington goalies would be more realistic. But it's the Oilers, so they'll probably just overpay for a guy like Jack Campbell.

For reasons...I don't want to see John Tavares win a cup but if the Leafs are going to get eliminated from the playoffs this year it won't be this round.  Tampa looks gassed and can't sustain any momentum.

21 minutes ago, tp49 said:

For reasons...I don't want to see John Tavares win a cup but if the Leafs are going to get eliminated from the playoffs this year it won't be this round.  Tampa looks gassed and can't sustain any momentum.

You forget that no one tops the Leafs when it comes to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

41 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

You forget that no one tops the Leafs when it comes to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I dunno, there's good old Edmonton sitting in the corner there with the dunce cap on...they seem to be very adept at it.

2 hours ago, tp49 said:

am I the only Islanders fan who doesn't care about Tavares leaving? I think they got as far as they could revolving the entire franchise around him.

53Ocz8U.png

Maybe if a Tavares was there for Barry Trotz tenure they maybe win a cup, or at least make the Finals.

And yeah, a part of me is kind of hoping the Leafs finally end their misery this year. 

As I said, they are serious dark horse, if they can beat Tampa, they can beat anyone. 

Still not the Canadian team I'd want to win the Cup though, I prefer it be Calgary.  

1 hour ago, JerseyJimmy said:

am I the only Islanders fan who doesn't care about Tavares leaving? I think they got as far as they could revolving the entire franchise around him.

I'm with you on this, he was a shining light and a model professional on some awful teams, and left to join his boyhood team. I can't claim I wasn't sad about him leaving, but I was never angry.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

1 hour ago, waltere said:

I'm with you on this, he was a shining light and a model professional on some awful teams, and left to join his boyhood team. I can't claim I wasn't sad about him leaving, but I was never angry.

For me it was never that he left, I actually expected it, it's how he left that upset the large majority of the fan base.