Unpopular Opinions

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I still try to get away with saying "Los Angeleez."

That's some good 1940s radio stuff right there. I listen to a lot of Jack Benny; and many of the recordings have a local station identification after the end of the episode in which the announcer says "This is KFI Los Angeleez."

A more bizarre radio quirk of the day was to pronounce "Los Angeleez" with a hard G sound! That was relatively rare; but it did sometimes occur. David Letterman used to enjoy employing this archaic pronunciation.

2 hours ago, Lafarge said:

LA’s weird like that. People are ready to cut your head of for pronouncing is Los Angeleez, but have zero problem pronouncing Los Feliz as “las feelis.”

Or San Pedro as "San Peedro".

17 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Ever since I was a dumb little kid, I’ve always pronounced the Sabres As Sabres 

(Saw-brays, not Say-Burs)

You must have dug the episode of The Office in which Dunder Mifflin was acquired by the company Sabre. Before any of the characters had heard the new parent company's name pronounced, they all assumed it was "Sa-bray". Michael even wrote a song in which he extolled the virtues of "Sa-bray".

[Edited to add my regret at having missed a reference to this earlier in the thread.]

Edited by Ferdinand Cesarano

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You must have dug episode of The Office in which Dunder Mifflin was acquired by the company Sabre. Before any of the characters had heard the new parent company's name pronounced, they all assumed it was "Sa-bray". Michael even wrote a song in which he extolled the virtues of "Sa-bray".

@jmoe12 already made that joke

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

@chcarlson23(idk why I can’t quote you) I do it still because Buffalo Say-Burs sounds weird and Saw-Brays sounds much better

I mean I don’t want to say your wrong, but... Sabre or Saber (Say-Bur) is actually a word and the correct pronunciation, while Sabre (Saw-Bray) is not. I mean my last name isn’t Cayral-soon...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I don’t like the Dolphins throwbacks. They are inferior to their current uniforms.  

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 5/20/2019 at 2:27 PM, the admiral said:

Nil desperandum, BellaSpurs. I still try to get away with saying "Los Angeleez."

Just don’t be that out-of-towner who says “N’awlins” because you’re trying to be all cutesy and

<MOD EDIT> with the pronunciation and inaccurate accent. I loathe that deeply. It’s New Orleans, though “New Awlins” is acceptable. 

Edited by officeglenn
Please don't try to get around the profanity filter like that.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

When I lived in Louisville I would say "Loooey-ville," because that's how several locals I liked and respected would say it. And I still say it now and people like to correct me to "Luh-ville," and I tell them to piss off.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As someone from Kentucky who has many a family from Louisville, I can tell you proudly it’s pronounced Lu-a-vul. 

I also say New Orlinz, But I’ve caught myself saying new awlins and heard people I know unironically sayin nawlins

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

What’s strange is that I pronounce Louisville as “looey-ville”, but St Louis as “saint loo-iss”.

The best part is that one of my mom’s favorite movies Meet Me in St Louis (pronounced in the film “saint looey”). I could recite the words to that movie because I’ve seen it so many times, but I still don’t call it “saint looey”.

• Like 2

ExJworW.png

I deeply dislike the euro-jacking of current MLS teams which inappropriately appropriate European club names (FC/SC is fine, City is fine,it only slightly bothers me that DC United wasn't formed as a club merger because "United" is a fairly "DC" name, but Real, Sporting and (jesus) Inter are awful), which is why I hope this logo never changes.

UUFtgZX.png

• Like 8

10 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

As someone from Kentucky who has many a family from Louisville, I can tell you proudly it’s pronounced Lu-a-vul. 

As somebody with family from the area, this is correct. Loo-vul is also sort of correct, depending on who is saying it.

I also say New Orlinz, But I’ve caught myself saying new awlins and heard people I know unironically sayin nawlins

I go between New Or-leans and New Or-lee-ans, depending on the setting. For St. Louis or Looey, I tend to favor the former.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

What’s strange is that I pronounce Louisville as “looey-ville”, but St Louis as “saint loo-iss”.

The best part is that one of my mom’s favorite movies Meet Me in St Louis (pronounced in the film “saint looey”). I could recite the words to that movie because I’ve seen it so many times, but I still don’t call it “saint looey”.

But how do you pronounce Center Martin "St.Louis". I'm guessing we all agree it's Looey and not Loo-is

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

But how do you pronounce Center Martin "St.Louis". I'm guessing we all agree it's Looey and not Loo-is

Not a hockey fan, so I had to look him up, lol. If he pronounces his name Looey, I'll say it that way.

Generally, when I see "Louis", I always say Looey... except for the city. Not sure why, that's just how it works. Like, any of the French kings are Looey, not Loo-is.

ExJworW.png

4 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

These really grew on me and i hope they stay in some capacity

Image result for sixers gray

I'm not sure what they are officially called (compression pants maybe), but those blue yoga pants these three are wearing under their uniform which seems to be all the rage right now look awful. It doesn't matter if they are white, which you see mostly or a color they just stick out so much that it hurts the aesthetic of any uniform.

Don't get me wrong, I would imagine there is a good reason so many players have gone to wearing them, maybe they give the knee some additional stability or something, so I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to wear them. Just saying they are ugly.

• Like 2