Post Jackie Robinson's 42 from Around the Majors

Soma

Gotta admit, that Cardinals one looks pretty bad. Not only do I think Robinson and/or 42 should be in blue, it interferes with Sutton and further confuses fans into thinking Robinson played for the Cardinals.

If duplicate numbers are allowed on the same football team (commonplace in college football), then there's no reason a team can't commemorate the same number twice.

I agree with you on the Wall. I've never cared for that, feels cheap and minor league to me. The graphic is fine and all but I just don't care for it on the outfield wall.

I disagree on the ones on the scoreboard. Use the team jersey fonts and have them all the same. For teams like Milwaukee I'm not sure what to do, I like the authenticity of having different numbers but I also like the look of everything being the same and clean. I like the "SL" for Hornsby and the Mic for Buck, but I hate the 85 for Busch. Its silly to retire an owner let alone give them a number.

Back to Robinson, I think it would have been nice if they included an image of Robinson if they had to do the wall thing. i'm sure they didn't want to put the Dodgers logo on the wall or something along those lines but I think you could have cropped an image so you didn't need to worry about that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

atlphi31-092010.jpg

Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Cincinnati+Reds+025+%28Small%29.JPG

Great American Ballpark

Good time to note that I've never liked the way the Reds have displayed their retired numbers in the new stadium. From the font, to the placement, to the circle surrounding the number have never felt right with me.

I preferred the way they did it at Riverfront/Cinergy

032701retired.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Chase Field appears to use the actual number font of their uniforms.

45-chase-field-rf-with-retired-numbers-thumb-550x412-2840011.jpg?w=550&h=412

I can see that becomming a clusterf*** when they add (I assume they will) Randy Johnson and then start retiring numbers from the Brick/Sand/Black era. Eventually I bet they do what teams inevitably end up doing by standardizin the fonts across the eras even if those players never wore it.

atlphi31-092010.jpg

Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

The Phillies have such a unique and recognizable number font, and its so prominent on thier jerseys, its a wonder they didn't use it for their retired numbers.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Good time to note that I've never liked the way the Reds have displayed their retired numbers in the new stadium. From the font, to the placement, to the circle surrounding the number have never felt right with me.

032701retired.jpg

Me, too. That was gorgeous.

You know, the more I look at these, the more I like when it's show in Dodger colors. It should look different than the rest of the team's retired numbers.

Cardinals used to do it like this:

preview_large.jpg?1266309596%20

and this:

7496539330_a31c64646a_z.jpg

But now they've had their own 42 retired so the outfield wall looks like this:

6337828921_7ec621eb40_z.jpg

Does anyone else in MLB have 42 retired for Robinson and another player?

Not yet. Yankees probably will though.

probably? lol

Nothing is done until its done.

Yes it is. The day after he hangs up his glove.

Yankees have three numbers in "pre-retirement": 42, 2 and 6. That last one might no longer be a definite, but the others sure are. They're different men from Joe.

51 hasn't been reissued. Nor has 20. 21 only once, and that was met with mercilessness booing. I think you have to included those as possibilities.

Anubis.png

Joe Torres number 6 may not be retired for a few reasons. First, he's a manager that never played for the Yankees. He's not the only Yankees manager to have World Series success so urs not like they are obligated to do it. But to me the fact that he wore a single digit makes it hard to retire. If he wore 35 then maybe they would, but the Yankees try to reserve single digits for the best of the best so I can see them saving it for a sure-thing prospect.

51, if you look at where Bernie ranks on the Yankees all time lists and what he means to the team and city it's a no brainier.

Not saying either us a lock but if I had to rank the likelyhood I'm putting 51 above 6.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Agreed. I particularly like the nod to (what I suspect is) the jersey that each player primarily played in. It seems like every team just chooses one style (the current one) and makes it uniform.

I'd be partial to using the back of the uniform, but that gets tricky if there is a mixed history regarding NOB.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

032701retired.jpg

Agreed. I particularly like the nod to (what I suspect is) the jersey that each player primarily played in. It seems like every team just chooses one style (the current one) and makes it uniform.

I'd be partial to using the back of the uniform, but that gets tricky if there is a mixed history regarding NOB.

The Padres used to do something similar when they played at Qualcomm Stadium.

qualcommoutfield.jpg

Note that they did not have Steve Garvey's number up in the lights - although they acknowledged his number 6 as retired, they chose not to hang the jersey in the lights, instead they had a plaque hanging on the right field wall where he hit the dramatic Game 4 HR against the Cubs in the NLCS. This plaque was obscured by some new hanging bleachers they built above it. The Padres were having some legal issues with the Garv (he was suing them for some kind of contactual dispute that went back to his playing days) so the Pads retaliated by being low-key with his retired number. They resolved it before they moved into Petco Park, so now his number is prominently displayed.

He's the player who broke the color barrier in 1947.

And he's the player who broke the color barrier in 1947.

Gotham - you also forgot to mention that he broke the color barrier. That was a landmark achievement.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived