NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

On the topic of Nike...

I just want to say that regardless of the uniforms which are very much up for debate (some are improvements, some aren't), can we all agree that Nike does logos amazingly? I think every logo has pretty much been an upgrade

Seahawks Old: 7 New: 8

Vikings Old: 9 New: 9.3

Dolphins Old: 6.5 New: 7.5

Jaguars Old: 4 New: 7.5

Panthers Old: 5 New: 9

Bucs Old: 9.5 New: 9

I disagree with all your ranking. The Seahawks change was a color swap on a mediocre logo, and it made it more "bleh". The Vikings updated the Viking head, which was good. The Dolphins logo went from needing to be cleaned up to a being downright terrible. The Jaguars logo looks like an illustration from a children's book. The Panthers logo is better in some ways, but leaves much to be desired. The Bucs logo is atrocious. It took everything which made the old logo work and messed it up.

Furthermore, we don't know that Nike actually designed any of those logos.

Yeah, i remember reading on this board that they had nothing to do with the Carolina logo, and I'm 99% certain that the Vikings logo tweak didn't go through Nike.

My guess is Nike has little to nothing to do with the logo redesigns... the NFL has long had a properties department in place for networking things like that. Also, if Nike was also debuting these logos, I think there would be zero doubt about it... because the Nike PR machine wouldn't shut up about it. They love to dump out long explanations for the nuances of their uniforms... do you really think they'd pass up the opportunity to do the same with the logos? Not a chance.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It blows my mind that people aren't in love with the Dolphins new logo/uni. I loved the old set, but this is miles better. Logo is great, colors are amazing. The aqua just pops on the white like crazy. The font is a little meh but at least no drop shadows.

Same with Seahawks, that's a total upgrade

It blows my mind that people aren't in love with the Dolphins new logo/uni. I loved the old set, but this is miles better. Logo is great, colors are amazing. The aqua just pops on the white like crazy. The font is a little meh but at least no drop shadows.

I like the colors a lot. The new, brighter aqua and white do look great. However, they need more orange.

The logo is horrible, too generic and a bad attempt at modernizing. The old logo was a classic and needed only slight refining to update. There are other cues in the look that are bad, like the tramp stamps and logo font.

87Redskins.png

The new aqua is good. The orange is too muted. The navy is bad, and shouldn't be included in the set. Orange needs to be more prominent. It's tertiary in this set, and in the places it's used, it is dwarfed next to navy and disappears from any distance. The new font and wordmarks are awful. Maybe most importantly, the new logo is terrible, both on its own merit and for departing from a consistent image the Dolphins have had. It's been said a thousand times, but that's not a football team logo. It's a soulless corporate logo to be used by an airline or travel agency. The helmet/pants stripes are also bad on their own and wrong for the Dolphins. All they needed was a clean-up. They were a team with strong historical imagery. Instead, they blew it all up and everything outside of the shade of aqua is worse than before.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The new aqua is good. The orange is too muted. The navy is bad, and shouldn't be included in the set. Orange needs to be more prominent. It's tertiary in this set, and in the places it's used, it is dwarfed next to navy and disappears from any distance. The new font and wordmarks are awful. Maybe most importantly, the new logo is terrible, both on its own merit and for departing from a consistent image the Dolphins have had. It's been said a thousand times, but that's not a football team logo. It's a soulless corporate logo to be used by an airline or travel agency. The helmet/pants stripes are also bad on their own and wrong for the Dolphins. All they needed was a clean-up. They were a team with strong historical imagery. Instead, they blew it all up and everything outside of the shade of aqua is worse than before.

Amen. Miami may as well color the underbelly of the Dolphin aqua and eliminate navy from the scheme altogether. Then simply remove the sun from the helmets and the 1/32" outline/stripes on the jerseys and pants and just go aqua and white. The lack of orange and that horrible font makes their uniform look ridiculous.

i for one think the new bucs logo is more dynamic and less generic than the old one.

Really? They replaced a skull and crossbones lifted straight off a treasure map with a gleaming, too-perfect Photoshop job. I'd say it's actually the opposite of "less generic than the old one."

i for one think the new bucs logo is more dynamic and less generic than the old one.

Really? They replaced a skull and crossbones lifted straight off a treasure map with a gleaming, too-perfect Photoshop job. I'd say it's actually the opposite of "less generic than the old one."

I just think it has more individuality, the skull and swords are such an important part of the logo.

I just think it has more individuality, the skull and swords are such an important part of the logo.

The artistic style of the skull and sword (metallic & slick) completely diverges from the style of the flag (rough & weathered). I'm no design school pro but that's a major visual clash in my book.

The artistic style of the skull and sword (metallic & slick) completely diverges from the style of the flag (rough & weathered). I'm no design school pro but that's a major visual clash in my book.

yeah the skull now is about a generic as you can get it also clashes bad with flag as mentioned & I for one do not even see anything on the logo anymore because the skull really gets your attention more & not in a good way.

As far as the TB Logo, when I think of a pirate flag, the first thought that comes to mind is something ragged. Well the old logo looked ragged and the new one simply looks new. The extra cuts in the old flag make it appear to be more pirate themed to me, while the new one looks like a new flag taken out of the box. I suppose the shading on the old flag helps out the logo more and the skull looks like human skull compared to the Terminator skull on the new flag. I even prefer the old swords over the new ones because in reality I don't think a bunch of pirates back in the day had shiny new swords until they stole them.

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

spacer.png

Do any of you foresee the Dolphins returning to a version of the old helmet logo at some point in the future?

I do. The new logo is so soulless and forgettable that the fan base will clamor for 70's nostalgia at some point. This is one of those instances where clean/modern/professional just falls flat.

Do any of you foresee the Dolphins returning to a version of the old helmet logo at some point in the future?

I mentioned this earlier (perhaps this thread), I think we'll see a return to the aqua facemask before we see a return of the helmet-wearing dolphin.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As far as the TB Logo, when I think of a pirate flag, the first thought that comes to mind is something ragged. Well the old logo looked ragged and the new one simply looks new. The extra cuts in the old flag make it appear to be more pirate themed to me, while the new one looks like a new flag taken out of the box. I suppose the shading on the old flag helps out the logo more and the skull looks like human skull compared to the Terminator skull on the new flag. I even prefer the old swords over the new ones because in reality I don't think a bunch of pirates back in the day had shiny new swords until they stole them.

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

Pirates wouldn't have swords that shiny, seriously? Thats a bit of a reach

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

Do you know how quickly ocean air corrodes metals? Not a reach at all. No polishing is going to keep those swords looking good for very long.

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

I'd expect the Royal Navy hunting the pirates down to have shiny swords. The pirates themselves? Not really.

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

Do you know how quickly ocean air corrodes metals? Not a reach at all. No polishing is going to keep those swords looking good for very long.

Lol wow

buccaneers_logo_flag.png

Lol wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1r1KTjaE

Archived