Most/Least successful Uni/Logo overhauls

Unocal

Falcons rebrand after Blank got the team was a positive.

Went from the popular classic Reds when the team was founded

to the Dirty Bird Blacks in the '90s with a superbowl loss to Denver

to the Vick era New Blacks which while popular at the time, have bad memories due to Vick

to the Post-Vick era New Reds which are wildly popular.

Huge success has to be the Broncos. From 4 time Super Bowl losers to back to back Super Bowl champions.

john-elway.jpgp-803531-john-elway-denver-broncos-nfl-a

Didn't they win the first SB in the original ones and the next year change to win #2 against my falcons? =(
No, they beat my Packers in SB 32 in the first season with the new uniforms.

broncos-over-packers.jpg

I was thinking it was 31, because I thought 33 was rams/titans?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL. \ AHL. \ CHL.

NY. Islanders - NHL.

Tampa Bay Lightning - NHL.

Washington Capitals - NHL.

Ottawa Senators - NHL.

Milwaukee Admirals - AHL.

Lake Erie Monsters - AHL.

Binghamton Senators - AHL.

North Bay Battalion - CHL. (OHL.)

Sudbury Wolves - CHL. (OHL.)

Regina Pats - CHL. (WHL.)

Kelowna Rockets - CHL. (WHL.)

What is so bad about the pats. They just got a new logo, a red jersey and there changing there jerseys next year to match their logo

yUTIIqk.png

Am I the only one that thinks the current look the Seahawks have is the best they've ever had. I just don't get the love the original set gets. The middle look was by far the worst of the 3.

Maybe it's just a nostalgic thing for me. I became a Seahawks fan when they had the original sets. The current look and the previous look are just not that great in comparison. The royal and kelly with silver was a great scheme for the team.

The Best Logos \ Uniforms

NFL. \ CFL.

Hamilton Tiger Cats - CFL.

Atlanta Falcons - NFL.

Tennessee Titans - NFL.

Denver Broncos - NFL.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - NFL.

Ottawa RedBlacks - CFL.

NBA.

Charlotte Hornets

Memphis Grizzlies

Phoenix Suns

MLB.

Seattle Mariners

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

ST. Louis Cardinals

NY. Yankees

NHL. \ AHL. \ CHL.

Hamilton Bulldogs - AHL.\ CHL. (OHL.)

Florida Panthers - NHL.

San Jose Sharks - NHL.

Montreal Canadians - NHL.

Nashville Predators - NHL.

Leigh Valley Phantoms - AHL.

Springfield Falcons - AHL.

San Antonio Rampage - AHL.

Calgary Hitmen - CHL. (WHL.)

Flint Firebirds - CHL. (OHL.)

Finally, some love for the falcons

Am I the only one that thinks the current look the Seahawks have is the best they've ever had. I just don't get the love the original set gets. The middle look was by far the worst of the 3.

Maybe it's just a nostalgic thing for me. I became a Seahawks fan when they had the original sets. The current look and the previous look are just not that great in comparison. The royal and kelly with silver was a great scheme for the team.

Maybe it's just the color scheme? The lighter colors, even though technically the same scheme, flow better with that area of the country. I feel like if the new set was lightened up, added a bit more influence of green, it would be more accepted than it is now. Hell, even white numbers on the blue set would make a difference imo.

Also, when the NHL lost these logos:

brand.gifquebec_nordiques_logo.pngwinnipeg_jees_logo.png

To these:

carolina_hurricanes.pngbrand.gifphxold.png

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, but those are all upgrades other than the Whalers --> Hurricanes (which is not a bad logo, just not as good as the Whalers).

The Avalanche is a modern classic. The Nordiques is supposed to be an igloo, forming an 'n', with a golf club supposed to be a hockey stick and circle (puck). There's no competition.

the Jets went from a logo literally depicting the team name and what looks like a paper airplane, to a thought out, unique, meaningful logo (which the Yotes never should have ditched).

sig.png

4830.gif101944732015.gif

I thought the Nashville Sounds' recent overhaul of their logo, color scheme, and uniforms was an excellent upgrade. I liked the original logo OK, even if just for nostalgia purposes, but it was generic. The new logo and colors are fresh, well-designed, and creatively unique without going overboard with the stereotypical "Music City" imagery associated with Nashville. The unis are a subtle but great upgrade, too (no pics of them in action, yet).

☦ICXC NIKA

Very interesting thread here.

It may be unintentional, but it's kinda neat that the topic can be interpreted differently...

"Most successful" in terms of team performance after an overhaul, or in terms of whether or not the overhaul could be deemed a "successful" one? (And vise-versa.)

On top of that, is there a correlation between our perception of the team identity/uniforms and the team's performance?

Could it be that successful rebrands are considered "successful" because the new look is associated with winning? (Even subconsciously?)

I'm intentionally looking further into this, at this point. This idea would make for an interesting research topic.

(Also, I realize someone else made a similar reply, I'm just piggy-backing off that comment.)

Another interesting thought... Should we consider our current opinion or are opinion when the overhaul was unveiled? For example, I know I liked the Reds and Diamondbacks changes when they happened, but now I can't stand the Reds set and I miss purple...

All rhetorical questions. Food for thought.

I'll stick with changes during my lifetime...

I definitely like the changes the Blue Jays made in 2012--probably the best I can think of. They had some realllly bad "identities" since their first major overhaul (1997). I also really like the changes the Astros made in 2013. In both cases, I can nitpick. But all-in-all, I think those are two of the best in a long time.

I'd have to say the Bengals changes for the 2004 season were pretty poor. I much prefer the previous logos and uniforms. The current are uniforms are overdone and the logo is uninspired.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

CFL is not one of the "Big 4" leagues. Sorry, Canada.

:D

My top 4:

NFL - Bills from New+England+Patriots+v+Buffalo+Bills+P-n to Mario%20Williams_1.jpg

MLB - White Sox back to black. white-sox-1987.jpg to 52030321.jpg?w=594&h=349&crop=1

NBA - Sonics mid-90s adding red from this mess 64.%20Shawn%20Kemp.jpg to gary-payton-michael-jordan.jpg

NHL - Sabres going back to their real colros. Sabres_display_image.jpg?1332031177 to 5041740454_588b4a86ca_o.png

The SuperSonics really did add some complexity when they made their mid-90s switch. I prefer the green-and-yellow color scheme, but if they'd used more yellow with that outfit those uniforms could've become classics.

Has this tremendous downgrade for the Angels been mentioned yet?

From this beauty:

4913.gif

To this trainwreck:

4917.gif

Nothing the Angels wore during their time as the California Angels strikes me as particularly distinctive. Say what you will about the periwinkles, but at least they did something other teams weren't doing color-wise.

Very interesting thread here.

It may be unintentional, but it's kinda neat that the topic can be interpreted differently...

"Most successful" in terms of team performance after an overhaul, or in terms of whether or not the overhaul could be deemed a "successful" one? (And vise-versa.)

On top of that, is there a correlation between our perception of the team identity/uniforms and the team's performance?

Could it be that successful rebrands are considered "successful" because the new look is associated with winning? (Even subconsciously?)

I'm intentionally looking further into this, at this point. This idea would make for an interesting research topic.

(Also, I realize someone else made a similar reply, I'm just piggy-backing off that comment.)

Another interesting thought... Should we consider our current opinion or are opinion when the overhaul was unveiled? For example, I know I liked the Reds and Diamondbacks changes when they happened, but now I can't stand the Reds set and I miss purple...

All rhetorical questions. Food for thought.

I'll stick with changes during my lifetime...

I definitely like the changes the Blue Jays made in 2012--probably the best I can think of. They had some realllly bad "identities" since their first major overhaul (1997). I also really like the changes the Astros made in 2013. In both cases, I can nitpick. But all-in-all, I think those are two of the best in a long time.

I'd have to say the Bengals changes for the 2004 season were pretty poor. I much prefer the previous logos and uniforms. The current are uniforms are overdone and the logo is uninspired.

I meant the visual aspects (unis, logos, color schemes) themselves, but I'm sure the team's performance in the first few years of the new unis has an impact on many fans' opinions of those unis. That is an interesting thing to think about, you're right. I mean, all else being equal, a team that is executing properly and doing a good job on the field/court/diamond/rink is going to look better, right?

Also, I agree with you about the Bengals. Their current set does not look good and I don't think it ever really has. Unnecessary (or at least unnecessarily clunky) drop-shadowing on the jerseys, pointless side panels on the color jerseys, number font that is beginning to look dated...it's pretty fortuitous that they didn't drop the striped helmets, or they'd be the worst-looking team in the NFL!

Edit: This is not my thread. I was thinking it was the similar one that I started. I do not know what the Sabres-loving individual who started this thread was intending.

The Warriors change would have been better if they used anything other than Copperplate as the font. It's like they created the graphic first, then finished the logo in MS Word.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My guess is for the Bucks. They had a teaser image of orange and green in a terrible font, but it did say something about April 1st, so i'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I never thought about that! I assumed Milwaukee Bucks + imminent rebrand + orange in the teasers = atrocity. I guess I forgot about the April Fools factor...

In that case, my money's on the Raptors.

spacer.png

My guess is for the Bucks. They had a teaser image of orange and green in a terrible font, but it did say something about April 1st, so i'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I'm fairly confident they'll end up looking like crap...

I'm fairly confident they'll end up looking like crap...

So they'll be the Craptors!

I've merged this thread with the "Best/Word Updates in the Big Four" thread. I've gone with the more inclusive title because a few users clearly wanted to expand the discussion to other leagues besides of the NHL, MLB, NFL, and NBA.

So the comments about the CFL "not counting" have either been deleted or edited. This isn't the place to fight over which version of gridiron football is "better." Keep it limited to uniforms. Thanks.

Archived