Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always been around in high school and college.

The first instance I can recall in modern NFL was the Eagles going mono green against the 49ers I believe. Was it later that season when the cards went mono red to knock the Vikings out of a playoff spot?

Then the next season it spread like wildfire. 

Found an article on Uni-watch. It was 1997. I don't think the fad hit for years after that.2417891.jpg

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm not confusing them for the Titans - but I grew up playing football games on computers and consoles back in the age before the games showed logos on helmets - so two teams in the same division having basically the same home helmet-jersey-pants color combo doesn't feel right to me, because on an old-school 16-bit game they actually could be mistaken for each other, and even if not, having that much similarity is too much. And yes, they are rivals - not archrivals but rivals nonetheless. You don't play in the same division for 16 straight seasons without some kind of rivalry developing.

Plus...1/4 of the league wears dark blue jerseys as their primary non-white option. None wear light blue. Why would they not want to distinguish themselves more?

I know we are rivals with the Texans. The two teams I was referring to were the Seahawks and Cowboys.

Ok, I’ve taken time to process what’s happened. 

Pros: I like the sword shaped shoulders. I can even live with the new numbers and helmet. 

Cons: I hate the pants. I really hate the pants. Why couldn’t they throw stripes on it? 

Also the side panels looks like they were thrown there last minute. 

I’m annoyed they won’t embrace Columbia Blue. At least it has a jersey. It’s such a beautiful color. 

It’s not the worst Nike’s done. Hell, I’ll even say it’s one of their better uniforms though it’s not saying much. It needs a few tweaks, that’s all. 

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, bowld said:

uss65e51h1q01.jpg

I almost feel that if you look at these straight on, the shoulder stripes disappear. If the  jerseys didn't have that shoulder stripe they would have been good, even with the pit stripes. That pant stripe is stupid. Just take the stripe from the helmet and extend it down the pant legs instead of pretending the sword is stabbing out through the pant inset. Another way to make that pant stripe make sense would have been to place a red stripe above it and alternating blue stripe below it. columbia blue on navy and navy on white and columbia blue.

The numbers are just bad. The 3 is illegible, the numbers are all too thin overall. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One of the biggest problems with this is the red swoosh. 

By making the swoosh red, it’s become an actual design element as opposed to just an ad/branding thing.

If the licensee were to change to UA or Rbk (yeah I know the Nike deal is extended but that’s not relevant) then their logo would either have to be red, or the design changed altogether since it’s the only logo that appears on the jersey and (bravo, Nike) is essentially one of the Titans secondary logos. 

Literally the Nike logo is the only thing that ties the red in, so it’s part of the uniform and not just a tag. Utter trash. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

These uniforms are worse than the ref who didn't throw a flag on the Music City "Miracle" forward pass.

If there's ever a color v. color Texans-Titans game, I want to be a fly on the wall as to who gets to wear the navy leotard and who has to wear white, red, or light blue.

7 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

These uniforms are worse than the ref who didn't throw a flag on the Music City "Miracle" forward pass.

If there's ever a color v. color Texans-Titans game, I want to be a fly on the wall as to who gets to wear the navy leotard and who has to wear white, red, or light blue.

Hey at least the Jags won't be wearing monochrome navy, right??

2 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Hey at least the Jags won't be wearing monochrome navy, right??

Oh I am sure they will probably go for a leotard look with one of their colors, no matter what - but hopefully black on black won't be worn so much anymore for the Jags.

Such a disaster. 

The red Nike swoosh bothers me. There’s no reason for it to be red, other than to promote Nike at the expense of the team’s identity. 

It also adds one more colour to the overall uniform set. This isn’t a Chicago Blackhawks situation where the logo uses a complex colour scheme while the uniforms simplify it. Every colour in the logo makes its way onto the uniform. 

The result? Well someone said it earlier. The Titans have more colours than the 2002-2010 Buffalo Bills. 

And speaking of early 2000s uniforms? This entire redesign seems stuck in the late 90s/early 2000s. It’s weird because as much as modern uniform design can suck at times? It generally seems to have moved on from a lot of the worst late 90s/early 2000s trends. And yet this uniform features two trends from that era prominently. 

Going with a darker colour scheme? Well they downplayed Columbia blue and white for navy and silver, so yeah. 

Adding silver/grey outlines and uniform elements to an older identity in a bid to make it seem more “modern”? Yeah. 

In those ways? This new uniform set seems more dated than the set it’s replacing. And that set was undoubtedly of the late 90s too. Just not nearly to the degree that the new set is. As strange as it sounds.

22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It also adds one more colour to the overall uniform set. This isn’t a Chicago Blackhawks situation where the logo uses a complex colour scheme while the uniforms simplify it. Every colour in the logo makes its way onto the uniform. 

The result? Well someone said it earlier. The Titans have more colours than the 2002-2010 Buffalo Bills. 

This has been said many times but I feel like I gotta say something. There is just one more color on this uniform set than the old. Are they using much more of those colors than they were before, yes! The only color they added was a second gray. There was gray and red in the shoulder logo and helmet logo before.

Archived