The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

They'll be fine next year and will probably work their way into one side of the playoff bubble or the other by the end of this one. I'm just saying they had an objectively awful first half. Do you disagree?

No doubt about it, I don't know what Richards did to have the hockey gods desecrate the team early on. Had the Jackets got Connauton earlier, it'd be a different story all together.

That's what- She

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll be fine next year and will probably work their way into one side of the playoff bubble or the other by the end of this one. I'm just saying they had an objectively awful first half. Do you disagree?

I don't disagree that they had an awful first half, but a lot of that was outside of their control. Their bad goal differential stems entirely from the October/November injury plague (and they're still missing their best puck moving defenseman and two centers). It's a little unfair to hold them accountable for that. Even with all of that they just went 10-1-1 in December against the toughest part of their schedule. If the NHL had called a distinct kicking motion against Washington correctly they'd be 11-1 in December. They've had an objectively good month and they're now at Bettman 500 and within striking distance of actual 500.

Oh and they have the number one power play in the NHL. So....

You're just some guy on the internet, but I think they've earned their place in your Outside Looking In category. Bad teams don't win 10 out of 12 games.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It isn't a bad team. If it was a bad team, than how did the Jackets sweep the Sharks, which is one of the best teams in the league.

The Buffalo Sabres did this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The issue this year with the Kings, is the fact that they lost a top 4 defenseman in Voynov and have had injuries and have been rotating in defensemen giving Brayden McNabb more ice time then they thought they would have to this year. McNabb is going through the same transition that Jake Muzzin went through a couple years ago. There are times he looks top 4/top 2 defenseman and there are times he looks like, well to quote Darryl Sutter on a Jake Muzzin peformance two years ago, "Road Apples". The offense is good, the goaltening is exceptional, it's just the defense isn't where it needs to be to win a Cup. At this point in time, if the Kings get to the Western Conference Finals, it'll be a great year. It's kind of where they miss both Scuderi and Willie Mitchell, but cap room prevents that. Oh well.

Former Hawk Brouwer will leave the Hawks pointless today.

I can't argue with the Sharks being a longshot. They will get 2nd or 3rd in their division, play LA, offense dries up again, and lose.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Just the fact that a Tampa Bay-Nashville SCF seems possible at all might possibly be enough to shutdown the sport forever.

I would love for Nashville to be in the Finals. That might bring Mrs Mike Fisher to sing the national anthem at the honky tonk. Also, I'd love to see the size of the catfish/channel cat they throw on the ice.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Just the fact that a Tampa Bay-Nashville SCF seems possible at all might possibly be enough to shutdown the sport forever.

A Bolts-Preds Final would just be a blip in the NHL universe. Such matchup would consist of two teams with decent fan bases on their own, but wouldn't generate that much broad fan interest and be as forgettable as the years would go by.

Now a 'Yotes-Panthers Final; that would cause the league's wigmen to shut the game down for 2-3 years in order to make people forget of such horrawful matchup.

One other thing I noticed, now that I've gotten a better up-close look at them...

20141226_143544_zpsmmcf6fdm.jpg

20141226_143541_zpsdsgzyomp.jpg

Think they're pushing this "Music City" thing just a bit much? The guitar strings in the jersey numbers, while gimmicky, is a nice touch (don't understand why the sleeve numbers didn't get the same treatment though), but that hanger effect stuff is just a bit too much extra for my liking. (Not to mention the back collar wordmark is particularly egregious on the yellow sweaters, considering its stacked right up top of the "Reebok", and they're both white so they stick out like a sore thumb.

I think the Hanger Effect Piano keys are a great touch. The added not 1 but 2 subtle references to musical instruments, both times without cluttering the uniform. Besides them obviously snatching the Blues template for themselves, they still look great on the ice.

I don't mind the Nashville wordmarks too much for the same reasons I don't mind the music references. Longs they keep it minimal, I'll always give them a pass. And I think that may well be the team's tradition now...to have a script of the city name somewhere on their jersey, which began since they started using their first alternate...

2001-2007: Tiny script underneath the collar of their mustard alternate jersey.

2007-2011: Average-sized script above the crest on their road jersey.

2011-present: Small script on the back of the collars of both their home and road jerseys.

One other thing I noticed, now that I've gotten a better up-close look at them...

20141226_143544_zpsmmcf6fdm.jpg

Think they're pushing this "Music City" thing just a bit much? The guitar strings in the jersey numbers, while gimmicky, is a nice touch (don't understand why the sleeve numbers didn't get the same treatment though), but that hanger effect stuff is just a bit too much extra for my liking. (Not to mention the back collar wordmark is particularly egregious on the yellow sweaters, considering its stacked right up top of the "Reebok", and they're both white so they stick out like a sore thumb

The guitar-string numbers look spectacular IMO. What kills it is the unnecessary piping arch and panels. One area I will give them credit however is how they had the decency to spare us the dreaded "Reebox."

At just around the halfway point, here's a quick and dirty ranking/stratification of the league, as best I can tell:

Cup-or-Bust Contenders

Chicago

Nashville

Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh

Legitimate Contenders

Detroit

Long Island

New York

Montreal

Anaheim

Dark Horses

St. Louis

Vancouver

Longshots

San Jose

Washington

Los Angeles

Toronto

Calgary

Winnipeg

Outside Looking In

Boston

Minnesota

Florida

Dallas

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Bad Teams

Columbus

Colorado

New Jersey

Phoenix

Really Bad Teams

Carolina

Buffalo

Holy Crap

Edmonton

Arguments?

Former Hawk Brouwer will leave the Hawks pointless today.

I can't argue with the Sharks being a longshot. They will get 2nd or 3rd in their division, play LA, offense dries up again, and lose.

The Sharks are right now too inconsistent to be anything higher than long shots. However with their success against top teams so far, you really can't rule them out to win the division. Again, they still have to go through at least Los Angeles, Anaheim and Vancouver to win the division. If they don't win the division they almost assuredly play one of those teams in the playoffs if they get in the playoffs.

Sharks have only four road games to eight home games in January, including a seven game home stand from Jan 15 thru Feb 2 (and nine road games to sixteen home games from January to February). That will be the time to really gain some ground if they can continue their hot home play. The key that might make or break the Sharks will be their long seven game road trip at the end of March.

Was looking at the schedule to plan a hockey road trip with my father and noticed quite the quirk for the Lightning; they will not play an Eastern conference opponent in the month of February. 12 games, all against the West.

Teams with four or fewer wins on the road: Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina, and Los Angeles.

?One of these things is not like the others...?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

And since there were no posts about the game....does this mean that the Winter Classic, or outdoor games in general, have lost their luster?

Didn't see much build-up to the game, whether it be on TV or online....

I watched the Epix 24/7 series and I consume just as much or more NHL media than the average hockey fan, but watching the game today, I felt the same way about this Winter Classic not having that luster.

Maybe because it was two teams that don't have a history against each other. Maybe it's because it's our first game of two previous WC participants. Maybe it's because the venue itself doesn't have any outside value (Nats Park is nice, but it's not a historical ground, and hell, the view of the Capitol dome is gone now too). There wasn't the aesthetics of snow fall or interesting jerseys (completely invented fauxback vs practical normal road jersey).

I think this particular game didn't have that luster. (Heck, one reason 24/7 wasn't on HBO was because HBO wanted to do the Kings/Sharks game instead. That might tell you one thing about this game.) I'm not ready to write off the whole thing yet. We're repeating cities already by going back to Boston next year, so that's a strike against. We'll see.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It had no build-up, but at least it was an entertaining game to watch.

I agree. It was a good game. Probably the best ice coniditions and best technically executed outdoor game so far.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Further proof as to why relegating Minnesota and Colorado to "Stadium Series" games will only hurt the Winter Classic in the long run. You need to freshen up the WC rotation to keep the thing fresh and exciting. Holding the "olde tyme iced hockey" game in sunny Washington DC didn't help either.

He kind of looks like Ray Liotta with smooth skin. "You have a bad team? F' you, pay me."

oates.jpgacf1df7705d11ead80866a9dfb030aee.jpg

I feel I've pointed this out before

We

ll Ray Liota is from Newark

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived