2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

A problem I've noticed with the Stars' primary logo has to do with TV graphics. I can't speak for other RSNs, but NBC/Comcast tends to put each team's logo on a team-color-to-black gradient. Of course, these are generally at small sizes. Somehow, the green-to-black gradient for Dallas eats both the logo's green outline and the black outline, leaving you with a little silvery bloop of a logo. To wit:

CXEqnxE.jpg

Now, unless you press your nose up to your high-definition TV screen, that logo is going to look rather tiny compared to the other team's. If you lean back in your chair, or move away from the phone you're in, or however you're viewing this fair board, you might see it for yourself. Now, naturally, most of my viewing involves the Blackhawks, where the Indian head loses no real estate to its background, but even on those Upcoming Games screens, it still looks fragile and inconsequential next to other teams' logos. It's kind of a variation on how the Flying Elvis looks like a little swoosh next to big circles and ovals that don't leave as much empty space.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the condescending tones. Heaven forbid we take notice that there might actually be some jarring similarities between the new look Stars and pre existing uniforms.

Seriously. And God forbid the teams do their homework and try to avoid using the same exact striping pattern as another team in their own league and just recoloring it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But those hacks are arguing instead that the Maple Leafs have some claim to royal blue. A color that has been used as a dominant color by half of professional sports in its entirety.

When you've worn that exact shade of blue for the better part of a century, won twelve Cups in it, and been nicknamed "The Blue and White", you kinda do.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

A problem I've noticed with the Stars' primary logo has to do with TV graphics. I can't speak for other RSNs, but NBC/Comcast tends to put each team's logo on a team-color-to-black gradient. Of course, these are generally at small sizes. Somehow, the green-to-black gradient for Dallas eats both the logo's green outline and the black outline, leaving you with a little silvery bloop of a logo.

It's got the same problem on the NHL.com header. It's like they forget there's a silver-outlined version of the logo that's designed to stand out on dark backgrounds.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

That's the thing about jersey designs. If you go for a classic looking route people will say you're ripping off another team. If you try to go outside the box people will complain about how awful it looks because they want generic striping on everything. Its a very fine line you need to straddle.

This. So much this.

A lot of you neglect the hypocracy in your trains of thought. It seems like it's impossible to come up with a fresh and new design without it completely offending you guys, and when a team adopts a tradition uniform design that's already being utilized, it's a blatant rip off and it's a lazy design. Make up your minds for freaking sakes. You can't have it both ways.

OttawaSenators.png

Okay let's not generalize. My argument is that, get this, you can be original and still look good. For the Stars I look to the simple yet unique color blocking from the aways' stripes as a prime example of how to do this.

Midway.png

Looks like the Red Wings Winter Classic wordmark wasn't a new logo after all...

Sid Abel, Detroit Red Wings, Unknown Date

lindsay.jpg

Paul Henderson, Hamilton Red Wings, 1962

Henderson---3---1962.jpg

Detroit Red Wings, Winter Classic 2014

det14wc-wrd.png?format=300w

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

lindsay.jpg

Henderson---3---1962.jpg

Excellent find.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

lindsay.jpg

Henderson---3---1962.jpg

*Looks at Red Wings logo/script*

*Gets sudden craving for Buffalo wings*

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

"Man, I've been skating my brains out for 20 minutes, got hit until I was dizzy, and soaked about half my body weight into this wool sweater. Pass me that steaming hot cuppa Earl Grey!"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Dallas Stars have had traditional, and by extension derivative, striping patterns throughout most of their history. They didn't look like any other team then just like they don't look like the Rangers or Blackhawks now. How anybody can criticize a redesign as complete and perfect as what the Stars unveiled last year is beyond me. The green home is likely the best looking jersey in the league.

my wife bought me an authentic for my birthday this week. in person, it just blows me away how great it looks. none of that indo-edge crap either. made in canada.

10003128_10152238394931480_1619504486_n.

-edit- she also bought me one of these cakes:

1974990_10152404807373474_966196697_n.jp

It's a great looking jersey and I think the Stars nailed their redesign.

But I won't apologize for saying that the jersey instantly (and still) reminded me of the Blackhawks St. Pats jersey that I've seen way too much of. The reason is obvious.

It's more unfortunate coincidence than alleged theft in my mind. And it's likely only people in Chicago that have been overexposed to its doppelganger.

I still think there's an imbalance of Black (and Silver for that matter) in the Stars' unis.

I agree,... At least on the green jersey, I think the entire uniform would be better balanced if the white and the black sections were inverted. You'd probably get less Rangers/Blackhawks comparisons as well.

8 months into the season, and still very few new Canes jerseys worn by any fans. I watched a Canes game last week and checked out some pics as well, and only found a very small amount. Most fans still wear the Warning Flag jerseys to games. After 8 months, the message is pretty clear by now...

It's the complete opposite of the Dallas Stars.

Archived