NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

The aqua color is STILL slightly too much to the blue side of spectrum in my opinion but it looks saturated enough to be OK. We are NOT the Houston Oilers and this whole malarkey about the actual authentic aqua being "teal" and many younger fans wanting the washed-out zest soap turquoise we currently have, makes me apoplectic. I saw the 1970s and 1980s aqua "live" and it was a deep, rich, BLUE-GREEN. Given how hard it is to photograph, it appears that Nike got close... real close. Better than the current shade.

I can't speak for what the old shade of aqua looked like in person, but from the pictures and throwback merchandise, it legitimately look like they wore teal. I've always thought aqua was lighter than teal, but darker than turquoise so I can also see how you think what they have now is like turquoise. Hell, some would say the Dolphins have never actually worn a true shade of "aqua". Anyway, it doesn't really bother that much if they use either or as long as it's "close enough" to aqua (I still prefer turquoise to teal, though).

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The aqua color is STILL slightly too much to the blue side of spectrum in my opinion but it looks saturated enough to be OK. We are NOT the Houston Oilers and this whole malarkey about the actual authentic aqua being "teal" and many younger fans wanting the washed-out zest soap turquoise we currently have, makes me apoplectic. I saw the 1970s and 1980s aqua "live" and it was a deep, rich, BLUE-GREEN. Given how hard it is to photograph, it appears that Nike got close... real close. Better than the current shade.

I can't speak for what the old shade of aqua looked like in person, but from the pictures and throwback merchandise, it legitimately look like they wore teal. I've always thought aqua was lighter than teal, but darker than turquoise so I can also see how you think what they have now is like turquoise. Hell, some would say the Dolphins have never actually worn a true shade of "aqua". Anyway, it doesn't really bother that much if they use either or as long as it's "close enough" to aqua (I still prefer turquoise to teal, though).

As a lifelong dolphins fan, I've pretty much always "considered" the colors to be teal and orange, but simply called them aqua and coral because it sounds, you know, more dolphiny.. But I think the new shade is fine, although the color could stand to be slightly greener..

I actually felt like the previous rebrand (97?) Went to a slightly darker, more teal color than the original, but the newer one is noticeably lighter and also somewhat bluer, the latter being the bigger concern for me

Seems odd, but I do remember that there was some random Broncos gear that started popping up in navy the season before the switch to their current color scheme (I know, almost 20 years ago, but it always stuck in my memory, for some reason)... I would love it if the royal blue Ram stuff was a similar sign.

^^^ they probably wouldn't keep navy helmets in that case

They had navy helmets with the royal jerseys. The only thing different is the gold is old gold on the current helmets and not athletic gold.

Maybe royal is lighter than navy so the practice jerseys will be 30% cooler in the sun?

Or maybe there's a bi-annual replenishment cycle for practice jerseys so they did put in the order for royal a year ahead of the change so they wouldn't just have to order another new batch next year (this is less likely, since I'd bet they replenish every year and not every other.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seems odd, but I do remember that there was some random Broncos gear that started popping up in navy the season before the switch to their current color scheme (I know, almost 20 years ago, but it always stuck in my memory, for some reason)

You are correct. I bought this navy Nike Broncos pullover the year before they changed their colors and uniforms. All of the sideline gear that year was navy & orange too. I really liked this wordmark. I wish they would have used it for more than 1 year.

22B7205D-0850-4D8C-B435-642B688DBF0E-308

Seems odd, but I do remember that there was some random Broncos gear that started popping up in navy the season before the switch to their current color scheme (I know, almost 20 years ago, but it always stuck in my memory, for some reason)

You are correct. I bought this navy Nike Broncos pullover the year before they changed their colors and uniforms. All of the sideline gear that year was navy & orange that year too. I really liked this wordmark. I wish they would have used it for more than 1 year.

HA! I knew it... glad I'm not just going senile.

So, here's a theory... as we all know, NFL uniform changes have a specific protocol as to the timing. But maybe, the rules are a bit less cut and dry with things like practice jerseys and such. What if the switch to royal blue is in the pipeline for 2016, and when ordering this year's practice jerseys they decided to get the eventual new color so they could keep the excess jerseys for future use.

Pure supposition, of course.

The Bears have a set of practice jerseys coinciding with the throwbacks. They only wear them the week of the throwback games. They have solid orange numbers, but unlike the game jerseys, they use their normal font. I'm not certain if the Bears have throwback shorts. It's possible the Rams only have that practice gear because of the existence of the throwback set, but that doesn't explain why they're wearing them now. In past years we've seen teams wear throwback helmets for part of camp to break them in for the games, but obviously you don't have to "break in" a jersey and shorts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This along with other things, to me are all signs leading to their inevitable move back to Los Angeles for the 2016 season.

The NFL behind the scenes has been looking for temporary homes for a 'team' to play in while the new stadium is being built on the grounds of the old Hollywood Park racetrack. The Rose Bowl pulls out just days ago which wasn't much of a surprise. They don't wanna be considered. Little things such as wearing lighter practice jerseys.

They're coming back to LA in 2016 people ... When a club moves, the re-branding can be changed. I believe it's already a done deal behind the scenes.

The Los Angeles Rams, it sounds so natural. Sorry St Louis, but you've always been an baseball city first and foremost, as the Cardinals have long been a prestigious MLB franchise even in the deep Depression of the 30s with the Gashouse Gang.

rams-sfbettis.jpg

grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

The Rams may very well move to LA, but I don't think the royal blue practice jerseys are any sign of it.

It's either:

A) lighter color due to the heat.

B) related to their throwback 3rd jersey.

C) Foreshadowing a potential jersey change that has been rumored (and even talked about by Jeff Fisher and Kevin Demoff) for a few years now that will happen regardless of what city they play in 2016.

You are correct. I bought this navy Nike Broncos pullover the year before they changed their colors and uniforms. All of the sideline gear that year was navy & orange too. I really liked this wordmark. I wish they would have used it for more than 1 year.

Holy crap you were right about the sideline gear. That's pretty interesting.

72523569-nov-1996-john-elway-of-the-denv

The old ram head logo is on the shorts, which leads me to believe that the blue/gold throwbacks may be replaced by the 60's blue/white.

sukGiLj.jpg

I think Fisher and upper management prefer the blue and white while the fans want the blue and yellow. I think we'll see some sort of compromise if/when a new set is unveiled whatever colorway isn't the home/road will be the alternate.

As for the throwback logo on the shorts they've been using that/selling merch with it since Nike/New Era took over.

Keep getting errors when I try to post pics but here's a link:

http://www.lids.com/NFL/St-Louis-Rams/20395222

Archived