Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

14 hours ago, DawgPacPBH said:

Re: Mariners blue/gold throwback alts not being in the game, I read an interview with one of the devs, said the reason its not in is because there are a specific number of slots, and they think the fans like using the pilots/70s/80s throwbacks and don't want to sacrifice one for the new sunday alt.

It's garbage but thats what I've seen.

Yes and no... that's only part of the problem and them putting the problem in simple terms but neglecting to mention the part of the problem that they can control.

Each team has 10 uniform slots and the devs have chosen to force 4 of those slots to be used for non-current throwbacks. For current uniforms the devs chose to only allow 4 and the M's have 5 therefore one had to go and they simply chose that one. There isn't a science behind that one... it's just what they chose. If they chose to include the blue gold throwback and eliminated, say, the teal alt then someone would have been upset at that decision too. Until that dev team decides to change the way they divide up the uniform slots (or of course until they find a way to add more slots) there will always be this problem with many teams.

FYI I know you're just quoting the devs, not attacking you here... attacking their wording.

• Like 2

Forgot about this but Jacksonville and Philadelphia have issues in two of my favorite arcades, "NFL Blitz" and "NFL Blitz '99"

-- Jacksonville uses the original unused font on the intro screen and the illegal logo and same font in the endzones

-- Philadelphia's helmet is the early 90's kelly green one with a black facemask

-- Philadelphia uses the 1996 road uniform (stripes on the sleeves, Eagle logo on the green pants) when these games were based on 1997 and 1998 rosters and looks

phijaxintro.jpg

phijax.jpg

• Like 4

Redownloaded the Madden NFL Mobile game on a new tablet last night. For whatever reason these guys can't get Jacksonville's uniforms right. They have the design down, but the number font is the same from the previous set, and they clash so poorly.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NHL 2004 had an interesting example of this, with the then-brand new Phoenix Coyotes rebrand. They used the wrong number font, instead of the Impact-esque numbers they actually had...
f0Apkg5.png
...And they stuck a different logo at centre ice, a recoloured version of the crescent moon logo they used from 1997 to 1999!
6oNRdrl.png
And yet bizarrely, I think the team's identity looked better in NHL 2004 because of those changes, than it did in real life!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 8:46 PM, BigEd76 said:

Another one from Blitz '99:  Arizona with black facemasks vs Baltimore in mythical purple pants! :lol:

azbal.jpg

I think those are actually grey facemasks like they really wore, but look darker because of the angle or the lighting or something. At least that is what I see. Do you have any other screenshots?

Also, that's weird about the purple pants. Was Baltimore ever supposed to wear those IRL, or did an animator mess something up (or just choose to get creative)?

NHL 08 bothered me that many goalies kept their real team personalized masks even while playing on new teams.  Not all.  I had Cam Ward fantasy drafted for the Leafs & they gave him a pretty cool Leafs'ish mask.  

I'm not certain yet I think playing home darks, the home fans still wore white jerseys in the stands.  I could be wrong on that, or a quirk using dark throwback unis, I dunno.

One of my fav vid game unis is Montreal Expos in RBI 3, really baby blue.  One of the silliest might be Houston Astros in the original RBI - fit for their weaksauce lineup.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On 12/9/2016 at 5:46 PM, BigEd76 said:

Another one from Blitz '99:  Arizona with black facemasks vs Baltimore in mythical purple pants! :lol:

azbal.jpg

I've been playing the NFL Blitz since the first one came out in 1998 and I never knew about this, then again I never got to play NFL Blitz '99 much because it was only released in Arcades and I only came across the machine maybe once or twice.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, flyersfan said:

Always bothered me in FIFA when the premier league teams would play in cup competitions and use the premier league don't as opposed to each clubs personalized ones (Tottenham especially)

That's because they don't have specific cup uniforms for all of those teams since it's not the same team playing every year. The only year this was available was when EA made a Champions League game. It only used teams that played in the Champions League that year and had their league and Champions League uniforms. Since PES has exclusive rights to the Champions League, FIFA17 can't use those logos anyways.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/12/2017 at 8:21 PM, MCM0313 said:

I think those are actually grey facemasks like they really wore, but look darker because of the angle or the lighting or something. At least that is what I see. Do you have any other screenshots?

Also, that's weird about the purple pants. Was Baltimore ever supposed to wear those IRL, or did an animator mess something up (or just choose to get creative)?

Here's another angle of Arizona's facemasks.  It's weird because they're light gray on the team selection screen but are dark gray or black during on-field action.  Definitely darker than what Jake Plummer and crew actually used as seen below.  Also for some reason, the Cardinals endzones are dark gray instead of red.

az.jpgarizona-2-jake-plummer.jpg

For Baltimore, I don't remember any plans back in the late 90s or early 2000s for them to wear purple pants, and if the developer was trying to be creative, at least give them the correct purple! :lol:

Speaking of black facemasks, I just noticed Tampa Bay doesn't have them on the field.....they have pewter instead, matching the helmet.  Also notice the Bucs and Vikings are each missing their sleeve patches.

mintb.jpg

• Like 1