2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

40 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The Ravens superstar player was a recent alleged-murderer, and the Seahawks had a very successful college coach with some 9/11 rumors to his name that had won a game most symbolic of the replacement referees era just a year prior. Obviously, if you want to open up the can of worms, we could dissect this stuff in perpetuity; suffice it to say, there were some easy enough reasons for those teams to be loathed even in the lead-up to winning their Super Bowls.

I think if not for Ray Lewis, people would have had no beef with the Ravens for sure.

The Seahawks carried a certain amount of swagger that most fans did not like, along with Carroll's collegiate shenanigans.  And yeah, given that the victim of the Fail Mary was the Packers, I think some still held a grudge.  (I had never heard those 9/11 rumors...which does not mean it was not widely known.)

So I guess DG's statement is true, but in general, I still think a lot of fans like the upstart over the perennial (even though the later brings better ratings).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Oh how fun it is when every hates your team. It's makes success even sweeter. 

Go Steelers. 

Yeah alright, fielding some of the dirtiest players in football for years, getting away with dirty play by said players for years because "what an organization though" and being the suspicious beneficiary of the worst officiated Super Bowl in history (XL) sounds real sweet. 

If it were just because of success, we'd all hate the Spurs too. But...

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

Oh how fun it is when every hates your team. It's makes success even sweeter. 

Go Steelers. 

Somehow I doubt the Steelers are going to be the "most hated" team in the game against the Patriots this weekend.

10 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Somehow I doubt the Steelers are going to be the "most hated" team in the game against the Patriots this weekend.

#TeamMeteor

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

27 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah alright, fielding some of the dirtiest players in football for years, getting away with dirty play by said players for years because "what an organization though" and being the suspicious beneficiary of the worst officiated Super Bowl in history (XL) sounds real sweet. 

If it were just because of success, we'd all hate the Spurs too. But...

Yeah, it's great and all to downgrade a team's accomplishments because of whatever, but truth be told....as a fan of a team that's never won the Super Bowl, I would gladly take on some dirty players, some dirty play, and benefit from questionable officiating if it means my team wins a Super Bowl.  If winning a Super Bowl means my team's QB deflates some footballs or bends the rules as much as possible, sign me up please.  Doubt many Bengals or Lions or Falcons or Bills fans would prefer class or a team of choir boys over a shady team that's won a ring.

Morality and ethics are great qualities, but fans aren't responsible for what the organization does to try to get an edge.  Now I'll take a class organization all day long, but I want championships, too.  I've seen a grand total of one championship from my teams in my life.  For the most part, the teams I root for have been pretty classy, but have also come up short of winning titles.  I want to see someone in this city win.  Do whatever it takes.

34 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, it's great and all to downgrade a team's accomplishments because of whatever, but truth be told....as a fan of a team that's never won the Super Bowl, I would gladly take on some dirty players, some dirty play, and benefit from questionable officiating if it means my team wins a Super Bowl.  If winning a Super Bowl means my team's QB deflates some footballs or bends the rules as much as possible, sign me up please.  Doubt many Bengals or Lions or Falcons or Bills fans would prefer class or a team of choir boys over a shady team that's won a ring.

Morality and ethics are great qualities, but fans aren't responsible for what the organization does to try to get an edge.  Now I'll take a class organization all day long, but I want championships, too.  I've seen a grand total of one championship from my teams in my life.  For the most part, the teams I root for have been pretty classy, but have also come up short of winning titles.  I want to see someone in this city win.  Do whatever it takes.

Understandable, truly. I completely see where you're coming from. But I personally do value class very highly and have a different opinion. Doesn't make you a bad fan or me a good fan by any means, and certainly isn't a slight back, it's just that this is where I'm coming from and I just simply don't feel as comfortable with any team winning shadily, even if it were my own. I know if pigs flew and the Jazz ever won a title, but won it with any kind of questionability pertaining to ethics, I'd be glad to see a trophy in SLC but would equally have a bad taste in my mouth over it. It wouldn't feel as great as I'd have wanted it to be.

Success on its own is not at all a bad thing. I respect the heck out of the Spurs and are probably the only dynasty in all of professional sports that I truly enjoy watching win again and again. Why? Because they do it right. They're good guys that happen to be historically great at basketball. The only bad thing you can ever dig up on them is that Pop is a bit blunt. I'll take that. Win ten in a row, that's still cool with me.

The Pats and Steelers, though? Nope. Pats worse so than the Steelers, for the record. But still nope. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The Ravens superstar player was a recent alleged-murderer, and the Seahawks had a very successful college coach with some 9/11 rumors to his name that had won a game most symbolic of the replacement referees era just a year prior. Obviously, if you want to open up the can of worms, we could dissect this stuff in perpetuity; suffice it to say, there were some easy enough reasons for those teams to be loathed even in the lead-up to winning their Super Bowls.

They also had the most loud mouth team that year. 

Meh, I still don't like the Spurs. It's annoying when everyone always talks about how they're the "good guys" and "such a class-act organization", like we should be inclined to root for them most of the time.

And for the record, Popovich can be kinda a douche as well. "I can talk :censored: to reporters because LOL I'm great".

I've found that over the years, my hatred of the Spurs has pretty much disappeared. They are a class organization, one that everyone, in every sport, should emulate. And I think Coach Pop is arguably the greatest coach of all time. I respect the hell out of that man. 

I say this as a die-hard Lakers fan too.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Understandable, truly. I completely see where you're coming from. But I personally do value class very highly and have a different opinion. Doesn't make you a bad fan or me a good fan by any means, and certainly isn't a slight back, it's just that this is where I'm coming from and I just simply don't feel as comfortable with any team winning shadily, even if it were my own. I know if pigs flew and the Jazz ever won a title, but won it with any kind of questionability pertaining to ethics, I'd be glad to see a trophy in SLC but would equally have a bad taste in my mouth over it. It wouldn't feel as great as I'd have wanted it to be.

Success on its own is not at all a bad thing. I respect the heck out of the Spurs and are probably the only dynasty in all of professional sports that I truly enjoy watching win again and again. Why? Because they do it right. They're good guys that happen to be historically great at basketball. The only bad thing you can ever dig up on them is that Pop is a bit blunt. I'll take that. Win ten in a row, that's still cool with me.

The Pats and Steelers, though? Nope. Pats worse so than the Steelers, for the record. But still nope. 

It ultimately depends on how you view sports as a whole.

As I've mentioned before, I've kinda distanced myself from being this diehard, angry-if-they-lose-or-ecstatic-if-they-win fan.  Sports is basically "three hours of entertainment" and business to me.  Others are much more serious about sports, and some view some aspects of sports as being role models.  All this is fine (although I hesitate to put someone you personally don't know as one's role model, I get why public figures are often held in such regard).

I suppose I would care more about class if it were something that actually mattered with the bottom line for teams...winning games and winning championships.  There's no gain or advantage because one team is classier than the other.  I think everyone would prefer to win while being classy, but if it takes having a few jack-offs to put a team over the top, I'm in.

While fans like to point out the Steelers win over the Seahawks years ago as "You only won because of the officiating", Steelers fans come back with "Well, our team won the game.  Would you rather have the title or not?".  And you aren't going to find many fans turning down a title, no matter what the circumstances are.  That championship flag flies forever, brother.

19 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I've found that over the years, my hatred of the Spurs has pretty much disappeared. They are a class organization, one that everyone, in every sport, should emulate. And I think Coach Pop is arguably the greatest coach of all time. I respect the hell out of that man. 

I say this as a die-hard Lakers fan too.

When it comes to basketball, I really don't have any one team that I live and die by. In the 90's, I was into the Bulls because Jordan was one of my favorite players then. Then when Jordan left and the Bulls fell into the abyss, I kinda latched on to the Spurs. They weren't fun or flashy but I generally enjoyed watching Tim Duncan and going back David Robinson. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Packers and Patriots.  Let's go.

Also, Joe Buck looks stupid with the beard.  He just looks like he forgot to shave for a few days, not like he has a legit beard.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

To add to that, Richard Sherman had and still has a way for rubbing a lot of people the wrong way, so there was that and the vibe the team took on in that regard.

As a Patriot fan who probably should hate Richard Sherman, I actually like him. He showed a lot of class by being one of the first people to shake Brady's hand after Super Bowl XLIX. I can completely understand why some people can't stand him, but he's not that bad if you really examine it.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

59 minutes ago, Brass said:

As a Patriot fan who probably should hate Richard Sherman, I actually like him. He showed a lot of class by being one of the first people to shake Brady's hand after Super Bowl XLIX. I can completely understand why some people can't stand him, but he's not that bad if you really examine it.

Right. That's pretty much where I'm at with him too. Totally see how others could get bothered by him, but he doesn't really bother me personally at all. 

As for todays game, hoooo boy. The Falcons are looking good.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived