College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

The actual women of the Lady Vols fought to get that name back after it was decided they would just be Volunteers. I think they can be whatever they want to be called. If the women want to be called Lady "X' then let them be called that. I had no problem either way but everyone was gonna call our women's basketball team the Lady Vols because it was their brand.

• Like 3

Some of the team names do sound ridiculous when they try to "feminize" them.  There is no need if the name is gender neutral.    You don't need to be the Lady Wildcats, Lady Bulldogs, or Lady Badgers.  Sometimes it makes things much worse.

I believe it is Bradley that has the Braves and the Bravettes (it might be a HS in the area, I don't recall) which just feels insulting.

And I really hope it was never the "Lady Crimson Tide".

It does make sense if the name is gender specific like Bulls, Stallions, Minutemen, etc.  

I love what some schools like Hawai'i and Western Illinois do by having completely different names for male/female teams. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GFB said:

Just a can-o-worms observation, but "Ladyjacks" sounds really dumb in 2020.

Figure it out.

They could go with Lumber Janes, but that might run afowl of this:

lumberjanes25.jpg?resize=600%2C922

- . . . And it also sounds like they're patronizing as well. Or just be smart and not drop the Lumber from between the other two words. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, hugevolsfan said:

The actual women of the Lady Vols fought to get that name back after it was decided they would just be Volunteers. I think they can be whatever they want to be called. If the women want to be called Lady "X' then let them be called that. I had no problem either way but everyone was gonna call our women's basketball team the Lady Vols because it was their brand.

Of course... I was making a broad point, not referencing one specific team. If the basketball team has fond memories of it so if they want to use it, they can go right ahead.

• Like 1

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Unveil New Logo Set

June 3, 2020 - 00:00 AM

The Stephen F. Austin athletic department released a new visual identity on Monday afternoon, which includes an updated primary mark, new alternate logos and associated wordmarks.  “We are excited to unveil our new family of logos and identity marks,” athletic […]

Read More...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, O.C.D said:

Looks good. This is more of just  random question but wouldn't LumberJills make more sense than LadyJacks?

To me I never understood feminizing a school mascot name or adding "Lady" in front of it...Lady Buffaloes or Lady Gators or whatever. Most names are not masculine in and of themselves, Lumberjacks included...yes, while most lumberjacks are likely male, I'm sure they have been and still are female lumberjacks. After all, we don't say Man Buffaloes or Man Gators when referring to the male teams.

• Like 2

I can't get behind "Lady whatevers".. the only time I like a distinction is when the nickname is gender-specific.. I actually really like how Oklahoma State has the Cowboys and the Cowgirls.. but simply throwing "Lady" in front of something is ridiculous.. 

• Like 2

New Mexico State Aggies Introduce New Secondary Logo, Accent Color

June 8, 2020 - 02:42 AM

The New Mexico State athletic department recently introduced a new secondary logo and accent color to the Aggies’ branding, both of which pay homage to the past.  “As we looked to strengthen our identity as the state school in New […]

Read More...

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, GFB said:

Nobody at the University of Delaware is throwing a fit about the mens teams being called the Blue Hens and not the Blue Cocks. 

The blue hen is a specific breed or strain of chicken that is the state bird of Delaware. Apparently there are male blue hen chickens.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, hugevolsfan said:

Agreed. It’s up to the teams what they prefer to be called. Louisiana Tech women’s basketball still goes by Lady Techsters.

1200px-Louisiana_Tech_Lady_Techsters_log

And Hawaii women sports teams are called the Rainbow Wahine. 

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

As a SFA Lumberjack Basketball fan. I'm glad they did this. I did look at the last time they tried updating the logo and I still feel it look generic and half***.

Here some creativity was shown atleast. I like the secondary logo though but it looks they they really wanted to hammer the lone star imagery. 

On 6/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, O.C.D said:

Looks good. This is more of just  random question but wouldn't LumberJills make more sense than LadyJacks?

As someone who grew up in East Texas, im still puzzled why they're not called the LumberJills. I think it sounds better anyways.

• Like 1

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

I don't want to politicize this, but is there a chance that in this current racial climate that this is all for naught and the entire university gets renamed?

From Wikipedia:

[Stephen F. Austin] also helped ensure the introduction of slavery into Texas despite the attempts of the Mexican government to ban the institution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Just now, nash61 said:

I don't want to politicize this, but is there a chance that in this current racial climate that this is all for naught and the entire university gets renamed?

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin

I remember hearing about it a decade ago back in school. I remember my entire 7th grade class history course was about Texas history.

As someone who stays neutral to most things (I think I'm part Switzerland). I am in support of Black Lives Matters.

And I do agree that a name change is in order for SFA. Though a new name might take time for the university unlike a name change for a school team. I like to see them adopt something unique but I doubt it. Maybe there can be a topic where we can come up with new names for university and colleges that need new names? Don't know if anyone's done that yet.

Hope I don't get in trouble for voicing my opinion. I rarely do so unless stated otherwise. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, Matthew24 said:

Maybe there can be a topic where we can come up with new names for university and colleges that need new names? Don't know if anyone's done that yet. 

I would love this, especially since me and my friends have been doing this ourselves for our high school and another local one for the past week, (We’re the Indians they’re the Rebels). If there would be some ground rules I think it could work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krz said:

I would love this, especially since me and my friends have been doing this ourselves for our high school and another local one for the past week, (We’re the Indians they’re the Rebels). If there would be some ground rules I think it could work.

Well I will start a topic on this idea. But idk where to post it? Should it count as a concept or what?